to buy or not to buy
I decided to start to learn double bass 2 years ago, and I feel that it is time to purchase my own bass.
Here are some facts:
- I can not spend more than 2500 euro on it (about 3500 USD)
- I play jazz, mostly pizzicato
- I only play amplified when necessary
- I play about a gig a week
I tried about 5 basses by now, massive and plywood, old and new; and I feel that I have a favorite candidate: a plywood Musima bass for 1200 euro (about 1600 USD).
However, before buying, I want to gather as much fresh advice as possible, and I felt that it would be usefull to ask the community some questions:
1) Do you have experience with Musima basses?
2) The ticket inside says: Musima bass, Markneukircken, MSB2 3/4, built: '02, which must be 2002. I thought Musima was gone bankrupt in the '90s? Does the company still exist?
3) Do these basses keep their value? I.e. will there still be a market for them within 5 years or so?
4) the fingerboard looks ebony, but I am not sure. Is there a way to find out?
It was already looked at by my teacher ('good value'), and a renowed classical bass player ('good enough to play in a bar').
I am looking forward to your reactions.