Go Back   TalkBass Forums > Double Bass Forums > Basses [DB]
Register Rules/FAQ/CUP Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Basses [DB] Discussion on the instrument: double bass, string bass, contrabass, bass viol, acoustic bass, upright bass, standup bass, bass fiddle, bass violin, doghouse bass, bull fiddle... :)

Supporting Membership
Thank You

Latest Supporting Member
Donate to Upgrade Today

Old 01-10-2012, 12:06 PM

Cheap/affordable double bass

I'm new to the double bass (being an electric bassist) but I seriously want to play double bass. However I'm short on cash and can't find one under £360. Does anyone know of a cheaper one? Thanks for your help.
Old 01-10-2012, 12:12 PM
Instructor in the Vance/Rabbath Method

Endorsing Artist: Conklin Guitars (Basses)

Send a message via ICQ to Violen Send a message via AIM to Violen
Supporting Member
This community is in the process of creating a newbie guide for people just like you!

but let me give you the really quick answer.

360 pounds is probably not enough to buy an instrument that wont be completely horrible. The accepted "Starter" range for a new double bass, usually plywood, is 1500 dollars american.

You may find used ones cheaper, but steer clear from most of those sales on ebay. Other forum users would request you use the search function to look for previous threads, and i do too, but let me put this in perspective.

For the same price, you can have an american fender strat, or in the terms of relevance, a double bass that would be the equivalant in playability to the 80 dollar cheep korean knockoff of said strat. You know, those pawn shop guitars that are freaking terrible?
Old 01-10-2012, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josiah goldfish View Post
I'm new to the double bass (being an electric bassist) but I seriously want to play double bass. However I'm short on cash and can't find one under £360. Does anyone know of a cheaper one? Thanks for your help.
a) BASS FORUM LINKS (Newbie Links): PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING NEW TOPICS

2) Where are you located? Fill in your profile

III) 3 links from the right where it says "search" fill in "cheap bass" and press enter.

Good luck.
Old 01-10-2012, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violen View Post
For the same price, you can have an american fender strat, or in the terms of relevance, a double bass that would be the equivalant in playability to the 80 dollar cheep korean knockoff of said strat. You know, those pawn shop guitars that are freaking terrible?
With all due respect, an $80 knockoff guitar is still a much better deal than most $600 double basses because most people can figure out well enough how to adjust them to playability. Clearly, getting a cheap db playable and keeping it from imploding quickly can cost much more than the bass itself.
Old 01-10-2012, 12:21 PM

also: The official talkbass newbie's guide to buying a double bass.
Old 01-10-2012, 12:47 PM

Supporting Member
Your budget, expressed in British exchange, hints that you are probably from UK. Yes, there is a double bass which fits whithin your budget. It is the Thomann 111 BR, a Chinese double bass offered by the wellknown European Thomann megastore. It is a laminated instrument with an ebony fingerboard, a decent bridge and a aluminum tailpiece (to be discarded). The bass is well constructed and the resonant laminate gives an excellent pizzicatto sound. The Thomann store offers an elementary set up, so be prepared to spend some quids in order to achieve the optimum sound level. The strings are made with a steel core and probably Chinese, decent for pizzicatto but not so good for arco work. It costs 370 pounds (including p&p). I laid my hands to six or seven of them, i performed a thorough set up to four of them and all of them showed the same quality. When your chops will be improved and you will upgrade you will have it as a back up bass for gigs in a non so controlled environment.
Mike
Old 01-10-2012, 01:14 PM

Supporting Member
If Mikman says it. its Good. He has a great command over european Upright Bass Markets
Old 01-10-2012, 01:52 PM

Hey MIKMAN, would you mind adding some info on brands/prices for the euro market to the newbie guide?
Old 01-10-2012, 02:54 PM

Supporting Member
Thanks mates for your praise, i'm not sure if i actually deserve it. As for the newbies i'm still working my contribution to this specific thread and i'll post it ASAP.
Old 01-10-2012, 03:25 PM
Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKMAN
Thanks mates for your praise, i'm not sure if i actually deserve it.
Yes, you deserve it!
Old 01-11-2012, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bssist

a) BASS FORUM LINKS (Newbie Links): PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING NEW TOPICS

2) Where are you located? Fill in your profile

III) 3 links from the right where it says "search" fill in "cheap bass" and press enter.

Good luck.
I live in polegate, east sussex UK
Old 01-11-2012, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKMAN
Your budget, expressed in British exchange, hints that you are probably from UK. Yes, there is a double bass which fits whithin your budget. It is the Thomann 111 BR, a Chinese double bass offered by the wellknown European Thomann megastore. It is a laminated instrument with an ebony fingerboard, a decent bridge and a aluminum tailpiece (to be discarded). The bass is well constructed and the resonant laminate gives an excellent pizzicatto sound. The Thomann store offers an elementary set up, so be prepared to spend some quids in order to achieve the optimum sound level. The strings are made with a steel core and probably Chinese, decent for pizzicatto but not so good for arco work. It costs 370 pounds (including p&p). I laid my hands to six or seven of them, i performed a thorough set up to four of them and all of them showed the same quality. When your chops will be improved and you will upgrade you will have it as a back up bass for gigs in a non so controlled environment.
Mike
Thank! I've looked at those, do you know if the gear4music ones are any good?
Old 01-11-2012, 09:45 PM

Supporting Member
Quote:
Thank! I've looked at those, do you know if the gear4music ones are any good?
Alas, i do not know them. I'll try to gather some infos and i'll let you know my findings.
Old 01-11-2012, 11:40 PM

Supporting Member
3/4 (Jazz) Size Double Bass + Case at Gear4Music.com
Old 01-12-2012, 06:40 AM
Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor

Supporting Member
Quote:
I live in polegate, east sussex UK
Not far from me in Brighton!

I think as people have been hinting - you are far better off saving up for something worth playing. I have seen people put off by instruments that are hindering their progress.

The question is also what you want it for - Orchestral/Jazz?

My personal view is that nothing I tried under £1,000 was what I would consider "playable" and £1500 - £2,000 is much more likely to get you a decent bass.

This may not be what you want to hear - but then life's not fair and you just have to put up with it!
Old 01-12-2012, 06:42 AM
Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor

Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Violen View Post
I would say "ebonised" fingerboards are going to give you trouble and will not last long. Ebony fingerboard is a minimum requirement.
Old 01-12-2012, 07:18 AM

There's quite a bit of relevant info in these 2 threads:

Basses in the UK!

Inexpensive Basses in U.K?

I've still yet to come across anything available in the UK that rivals the Stentors in the bottom end of the market (although I sold mine 2 or 3 years ago).

Worth bearing in mind that a very cheap bass will almost certainly come with crap strings and in need of a set-up, so you'll need another £200 or so minimum on top of your budget

Last edited by oliebrice : 01-12-2012 at 07:27 AM.
Old 01-12-2012, 07:25 AM

I started with a very cheap laminated bass with crap strings and a fingerboard made of I don't know what. It cost £45 brand new, but that was in 1960. Because I didn't know any better and had nothing to compare the bass with I had enormous fun with it, did lots of gigs and eventually played with some famous names (I wonder if they realised). So my advice is that a crap bass is better than no bass if your budget could kill your aspirations.
Old 01-12-2012, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Lindfield

Not far from me in Brighton!

I think as people have been hinting - you are far better off saving up for something worth playing. I have seen people put off by instruments that are hindering their progress.

The question is also what you want it for - Orchestral/Jazz?

My personal view is that nothing I tried under £1,000 was what I would consider "playable" and £1500 - £2,000 is much more likely to get you a decent bass.

This may not be what you want to hear - but then life's not fair and you just have to put up with it!
I want it more for jazz style, probably played pizzicato. Thanks for your help!
Old 01-12-2012, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Davis
I started with a very cheap laminated bass with crap strings and a fingerboard made of I don't know what. It cost £45 brand new, but that was in 1960. Because I didn't know any better and had nothing to compare the bass with I had enormous fun with it, did lots of gigs and eventually played with some famous names (I wonder if they realised). So my advice is that a crap bass is better than no bass if your budget could kill your aspirations.
Thanks! I hope they cost £45 nowadays I think I'll try and get a recommended cheaper one and upgrade it with better parts as I get more money