TalkBass Forums

TalkBass Forums (http://www.talkbass.com/forum/)
-   Basses [DB] (http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f1/)
-   -   Help to ID this bass... (http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f1/help-id-bass-1052555/)

The Spanier 02-06-2014 02:28 AM

Help to ID this bass...

2 Attachment(s)
Hi guys;

Next week i´ll be trying a bass i´ve been offered in Madrid. I am attaching some pics for you to help me to identify it. Everything I know is that it is an Hungarian 25 year old instrument with no label… Ideas??

By the way; I hope it doesn´t soundstupid but I am a bit worried about its shape. As you see, it is a kind of Panormo copy with such high shoulders, what could make playing sitting more difficult… What do you think??

Thanks!!!

The Spanier 02-06-2014 02:29 AM

2 Attachment(s)
...two more...

arnoldschnitzer 02-06-2014 06:42 AM

Looks new to me.

Eric Hochberg 02-06-2014 10:07 AM

In terms of playability, you may need to spend some time with it, a week or two if necessary, to find out if it is a good fit for you.

DC Bass 02-06-2014 01:05 PM

Purfling?

Beautiful bass! I really like the colour.

The purfling on this instrument (front and back) seems very wide- can anyone comment on this?

Thanks!

Joe

PS- I play a bass with the Panormo shape while seated without issue- but it could take some getting used to if you are more accustomed to another shoulder style.

eh_train 02-06-2014 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DC Bass (Post 15484594)
The purfling on this instrument (front and back) seems very wide- can anyone comment on this?

Wide and/or doubled purfling is sometimes a feature of Italian basses.

But, as Arnold said, this looks like a brand spanking new Hungarian bass. At least they didn't try to antique it, and still leave on those tacky tuners.

Cheers,

Paul (eh_train)

csrund 02-06-2014 04:51 PM

Looks like a Maggini copy by the shape of the F-holes and double purfling. Tuning machines appear to be Suzhou (contemporary Chinese).

The Spanier 02-07-2014 03:36 AM

Tomorrow i will drive 800km to try it… so i´ll tell you (and send you some more pics with a more natural light…)
Quote:

PS- I play a bass with the Panormo shape while seated without issue- but it could take some getting used to if you are more accustomed to another shoulder style.
DC BASS, good to hear you can easily play while seated. Someone bewared me of reaching the end of the fretboard with high shoulders basses…
Quote:

Looks like a Maggini copy by the shape of the F-holes and double purfling. Tuning machines appear to be Suzhou (contemporary Chinese).
The purfling of this bass is actually what made me fall in love with it. And yes, seems to be an Italian feature… But what do you notice in the “f-holes”?? At first sight, they seem to me like any others…
I think it is beautiful…

The Spanier 02-07-2014 05:53 AM

By the way… A question for those who know about bass construction:

I´ve noticed in the first picture attached that there are two visible lines in the top of the instrument. Therefore I guess the solid top is done by carving three timbers joined together instead of two, which I understand it is the standard. Does this fact compromise the quality of the bass??

Thanks!!

DC Bass 02-07-2014 06:13 AM

Wow! 800km- is that one way or the whole trip (there and back)? Either way, that's a lot of driving! Good luck and safe journey!

Re: playing seated- I keep the bass centered in front of me, somewhat like the way a cellist would.

Some bassists angle the bass towards their bowing arm by twenty or thirty degrees (or so). Holding the bass at such an angle can impede access to the upper range of the finger board but allows the player to put more natural arm weight into the bowing arm.

Keeping the instrument centered allows me full access to the whole fingerboard but makes bowing on the G string a bit awkward. It's trade off but I've grown accustomed to it.

Again, good luck!

Let us know how it goes!

Joe

Oh, and as far as I know, multiple piece tops are nothing to be concerned about. I think the top on my bass is four pieces.

The Spanier 02-07-2014 07:18 AM

800km the hole trip... Quite enough!! I am about to spend $5.000 in a bass and not being a pro... Well, let's see!

I thought more valuable basses were made of fewer timbers...

DC Bass 02-07-2014 07:57 AM

I hope some that are more knowledgeable will comment, but as I understand it, it is very difficult to find spruce in pieces large enough to construct a double bass top in two pieces.

csrund 02-07-2014 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Spanier (Post 15487152)

But what do you notice in the “f-holes”?? At first sight, they seem to me like any others…
I think it is beautiful…

The Maggini f-holes seem (to me, anyway) to be cut at a slightly more oblique angle than other makers, and the lower eye appears to be set closer to the corner blocks. At least, that's how I perceive it. (Knowledgeable luthiers, please help...I'm at a loss for descriptive words.)

And I agree... It is a beautiful bass. I hope it sounds good, too. Good luck!

(By the way, I believe two-piece tops are very common. I have seen one bass (made by Pöllmann, I think) that was made with a three-piece top so that both bridge feet rest on the same piece of wood.)

josiah goldfish 02-08-2014 07:57 AM

Three-piece top isn't a problem at all, and it looks like a nice bass. I would make sure to do all the checks before you buy, especially as it's a new instrument. Check that it isn't a plywood instrument, check everything lines up, fingerboard elevation, cracks etc etc etc.

Best of luck, it looks nice!!!

Cheers,
Joe

geoffbassist 02-09-2014 07:52 AM

Nice looking bass! Good luck and let us know how you get on.

csrund 02-09-2014 08:50 AM

Spanier,

I spoke with a luthier friend by chance yesterday. He mentioned to be watchful of the top, as it could possibly be a fabricated or pressed top, rather than fully carved. It's easy enough to distinguish a plywood top from a carved top, but I don't know exactly how to spot a pressed top.

Good luck with the bass!

The Spanier 02-09-2014 10:40 AM

It is done. I met it, played it and bought it.

To be honest, I stoped overvaluating terms like "solid", "flamed" or "fully carved" some time ago. I have learnt that said features do not necessarily mean better sound. In fact, I would have picked up a hybrid bass instead of a carved one in the same price range if it had sounded better for me. some cheap solid basses are just a bunch of timbers glued together. I had one of these and did not sound better than my firs cheap Gara bass at all!

Anyway, this one is made out of solid spruce and maple. It is quite easy to differentiate between plywood and wood.

It is well constructed but above all it is well set up and... It is easy to play! It is incredible what a big difference makes playing a decent instrument!

I left it in the shop as I want the endpin changed and a full circle installed by them. I have also ordered new flexocores for it. I will have it back on Friday and I will send you some pics.

I am really happy!!

csrund 02-09-2014 04:18 PM

Congratulations! We'll be looking for pics.

The Spanier 02-28-2014 03:12 AM

3 Attachment(s)
And so... I bought it!! I Am happy to introduce you my new bass....Attachment 397053
Attachment 397054Attachment 397055

The Spanier 02-28-2014 03:14 AM

Help to ID this bass...

3 Attachment(s)
Attachment 397056