SOLD! Fretless Fender Jazz (Parts) Bass Relic w/ Vintage 1975 Neck
Custom "General Lee Orange" Nitro Finish
Here's a very unique "vintage hybrid" fretless Jazz Bass for sale. I built this bass myself, here's the specs.. Body
- Very lightweight swamp ash. Made by Wildwood in the USA and finished and relic'd by Mark Jenny of MJT Guitars. All nitro finish w/ a white primer undercoat. The relicing looks very good and there's lots of finish checking on it. Even has the "Fullerton hump" by the neck pocket. Neck
- Vintage 1975 Fender Jazz Bass neck that a previous owner replaced the fretboard with a custom dotted fretless rosewood fingerboard, and then re-bound the neck with white binding. The fingerboard has some sort of epoxy or other glossy coating on it, but not sure what, but it is smooth. You can see in 1 of the pics (in the link below) that the coating on the board has chipped off in a few spots. It's cosmetic only, those areas are still smooth to the touch and do not affect playability in any way.
The fingerboard dots are pearl and they're positioned where the frets would be, just like a lined fretless neck. Along the top of the neck, the new binding has the black dots re-positioned (where the frets would be also), and there are lines lightly scraped (and darkened) into the binding between the dots - which could be sanded out if you like.
The neck is/was originally a 3-bolt, but as you can see it's a 4 bolt now also. It still has the "bullet" truss rod, which works good and turns fine in both directions. The neck is straight, no issues, and the action is nice and low. It does have some battle scars, but nothing that gets in the way of playability.. it's really a pleasure to play.
Strung w/ TI flats. Electronics
- The P/Us are custom Seymour Duncans - passive and wound to '70s specs. They sound fantastic.
The pots are CTS solid-shaft 250Ks w/ a vintage 1970s Jazz "blue drop" capacitor that I had in my parts drawer. Hardware
- All Genuine Fender reissue parts. Everything was relic'd by MJT at the same time they finished/relic'd the body.
Bridge is '70s style w/ barrel saddles and flathead height adjustment screws.
3-ply black/white/black pickguard has the AVRI '62 RI hole pattern w/ holes for the tugbar and P/U cover. The guard is aged, but not sure of its origin. By the cut-out for the neck pocket, there's a small area where the guard was slightly widened. It's not very noticeable, but wanted to mention it.
Tuners are from an older Geddy Lee bass and already had their own light, natural patina on them. Reissue "F" neck plate, RI Knobs (w/ flathead set screws),and control plate were also aged by MJT, as well as all the screws for the parts. Case
- SKB Fender TSA hard case. The latches have some cracks at the base of them, but they all function fine. The case also had the band name of the former PO stenciled on it, which I spray painted black over it.
You won't see another like this pop up!
Very lightweight too at 8 lbs. on the dot
. Click Here For All The Pics (30) $1350 OBO Shipped
(CONUS) - No trades please, I'm selling it to fund something else.
Paypal or Money Orders Accepted.
*I also take deposits and ship international, PM me for details.