Well, here goes...
So this used to be my main bass back in the mid-80s thru early 90s. Played fretless most of the time, and really loved this old 'Ray.
Problem is, I stopped playing fretless in the 90s and have hardly touched it since. I wanted to give it some time just in case my tastes swung back this way, and I think after almost 20 years(!) its safe to say that might not ever happen
I usually go for the upright now when I want some fretless in my life.
I got this bass in the mid-80s as you see it here. It's funny, but for years I just assumed it was a Sabre! This was in the pre-Flea era, and I never really saw these around much at all at that time - nor did I have any knowledge of the brand or its models. Someone had obviously swapped the neck for a fretless at some point.
Features and characteristics:
- Date codes show the neck as a 1980, and the body as 1983.
- Fretless Sabre neck is 1.5" at the nut. It is fast, sleek, and slender! One of the nicest necks I've ever handled
- Nice low action
- Original mute pads still soft and supple, if you're into that
- Weight is a comfortable 9.6 lbs
- Comes with non-original HSC
- It has been played, and the finish on the back of the neck (or lack thereof) shows it!
- It has its share of body dings (see pics)
Everything works, feels, plays, and sounds beautiful! I would say "buy it before I come to my senses" and all that, but I've had around twenty years to think about this - so I'm good
Price and terms:
plus actual shipping/insurance to the lower 48 via USPS. I can accept payment via Paypal, Postal MO, or wire.
I will consider International shipping; however the buyer will need to assume some risk due to USPS insurance limits. PM me to discuss.
Not seeking any trades at this time.
Thank you for looking! Whomever gets this will absolutely love it.
Thanks for looking! Make sure to check out my other listing for a 1978 Rickenbacker 4001 MG: FS: 1978 RICKENBACKER 4001