Yamaha BB424 w/ Nordstrand mods. Signed by Aston "Family Man" Barrett - Wicked Mon!
You ever find one of those really great instruments at a good price? Yeah, that's me with this one.
The body, neck, fit, finish, setup were just amazing, but I was wanting a few upgrades where they cut corners. I dropped about $300 in upgrades. Honestly, it's better than my 2012 MIA Fender Jazz and MIJ Geddy. I've played it a lot but for some reason there are like no dings. The only flaw is that the g-string side of the nut is chipped, but the slot is secure.
- Metallic/Candy Apple Red
- Alder Body/21 fret rosewood board. Perfect neck at 1.6". This BB is my favorite neck on a 4-string. Solid without being too big. 5-piece neck
- P/J pickups. That ceramic J is HOT. Very well balanced with the neck pickup
- 9.49 lbs w/o strings
- SKB Fender TSA case. No handle.
- Really well setup! Nice and low!
- Undrilled black pickguard. Secure by truss rod notch. The other 424s were so boring.
- Custom Nordstrand NP4. Had it custom made for the casing (normal P-Bass pickups don't fit). Also, there's a custom shim so the pole pieces don't stick out like a regular 424 does.
- Black anodized knobs just add that touch of class.
- Hipshot Vintage bridge (not pictured). Nice and solid fit over the stock bridge, quick release. 2 screws are black, 2 are chrome.
- Hipshot string tree
- Hipshot Extender/ D-tuner
- Frets were sprouting, so I had them file them out for a smooth feel
- Dunlop Dual Design Strap Locks
- Small feature in Bass Player Magazine! Yes, I'm famous!
- Signed by Aston "Family Man" Barrett of Bob Marley and the Wailers. Ugh, he's so good. He commented on how he had some old BBs from the 70s and loved them.
All original parts included.
$375. Will ship it for $430 in continental US.
Sound clip: https://soundcloud.com/briandukesong/pickup-a
Also, some uber simple bass for a simple tune for a listen in context. (Could be a little louder in the mix, but it does good)
" - 9.49 lbs w/o strings"
Never heard of a bass weighed without strings bump.........:D
What kind of feel does the neck have (j, p, somewhere in between)?
Right in between. Honestly the perfect compromise to me. Narrow nut, but rounder feel. Very comfortable taper.
My personal favorite neck for a 4-string. Nordy would be my favorite 5.
I don't have access to a computer right at this moment, so I can't PM you, but I'm very interested. Just checked out your sound files and some YouTube reviews and this thing sounds awesome (would definitely be a big improvement over my current MIM Fender). How much for shipping to New York?
To be honest, I've had dreams of a Lakland or L2000, but I'm getting antsy for something smooth and versatile.
Can I be so vulgar as to ask how much the custom Nordy NP4 set you back?
Pic of the signature?
Very cool bass!
BUMP for a sig of a bada** bass player.
WWFMP? = What Would Family Man Play?
I'll post a fresh pic of the signature when I get a chance. It's on the back of the headstock. Family Man's handwriting ain't so pretty though. The bass was at an awkward angle when he signed it, too.
But he's not a guy I'll probably run into ever again.
Keep it. You love this one......
"Don't let yourself get attached to anything you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you feel the heat around the corner."
I am attached and I'm practicing what I'm preaching.
I should've been a bank robber, not a bass player.
Ok, so I screwed up and recently got rid of a 424x... couple of questions for ya. I love the hipshot vintage thats on my P, and wondered if it could still work with the string through body on these. Gotta ask if any similar priced trades might interest you as well...
It doesn't work with the string through on this one. Still feels more solid than the stock bridge, but I still have that, too. A few trades may be of interest, I'm open minded, but I'm not looking for anything.
|All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:23 PM.|
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.12
Copyright ©2000 - 2013, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.