Like the title says, I still use my 15W amplifier that I got from a beginners-kit. It's enough when playing alone in my room, but it's getting weaker and weaker.
Recently I managed to form a band with my friend and we are going to practise together in a couple of days.
Hopefully the rehearsal hall that we will play at has a decent amplifier, but I am preparing for the worst (I have to upgrade it sooner or later anyways).
I have been reading on different threads and other forums about this and that and a lot of people says that getting a bass combo is a "waste of money" and that it's better to get a bass head and a bass cabinet, since you can replace these individually.
Now I would like to get some guidance when it comes to these stuff, because my knowledge is far from good. What I want:
- Be heard over or at least with the acoustic drums and among the guitars (one of them has a 120 watt amplifier)
- Be enough when playing at small gigs, but not too excessive
- Be fairly cheap but enough to hold for at least 1-2 years minimum (Decent in short) When it comes to Bass Combos, I have been looking at:
- Peavey Tour TNT 115
- ~450 USD http://www.thomann.de/se/peavey_tour_tnt.htm When it comes to Bass Head and Bass Cabinet:
- Behringer BXR1800H - Bass Head
- ~130 USD http://www.thomann.de/se/behringer_bxr1800h.htm
- Kustom DE410H - Bass Cabinet
- ~300 USD http://www.thomann.de/se/kustom_de410h.htm
The Bass Combo will cost about 450 USD and the Bass Head + Bass Cabinet about 430 USD.
The reason I made this thread is that I need your opinions, since you have more experience than me when it comes to this.
Do you have any other recommendations in this cost-range or anything else that's good to know when it comes to purchasing bass amplifiers?
I check websites daily for used amplifiers, but if I can't find one when the time comes, it's good to be prepared.
(Keep in mind that I am from Sweden, so craigslist and anything else within the US is not an option for me)
I appreciate all help I can get!