Go Back   TalkBass Forums > Bass Guitar Forums > Bass Guitar Forums > Amps [BG]
Register Rules/FAQ/CUP Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Supporting Membership
Thank You

Latest Supporting Member
Donate to Upgrade Today

Old 12-01-2013, 09:21 PM

1969 Kustom 2x15 Altec Cab

Here's my recent addition to the family. 1969 Kustom blue sparkle tuck n' roll. Really nice condition, having been in storage for the last 15 years. Pretty much all original, including the two Altec 418 Type Dia-Cone 16 ohm 15 inch speakers bearing a manufactured date of the second week in 1969. It was covered with a ton of dust, dirt and that chalky white that metal turns after sitting for a long time. It didn't have any sound when I first plugged it in, but after cleaning and lubing the speaker terminals and speaker jack, the nearly 45 year old cab came to life and sounded quite good. Then, it was a matter of taking it apart, having the speakers checked, cleaning and putting it all back together. Finished it up today and sat and played for a good hour. Sweet!

Last edited by Oren Hudson : 02-26-2014 at 08:52 PM.
Old 12-01-2013, 09:23 PM

More pics.

Old 12-01-2013, 09:24 PM

Congrats! Enjoy
Old 12-01-2013, 09:24 PM

And more.

Old 12-01-2013, 09:27 PM

Supporting Member
Nice
Old 12-01-2013, 09:53 PM

Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups

Supporting Member
Quite cool, Oren! I once bought a 418b off Ebay to try out in the 77 B-15N I used to have, but the guy sold it to me with a blown voice coil. Then I sent it back to him in the crappy box he sent it to me in and it got smashed up. Ended up losing money on the deal after a round of "Who broke the speaker," so I never tried again.
Ampeg Portaflex Club #1
Quote:
Originally Posted by beans-on-toast View Post
Tweeters are for the birds.
Old 12-02-2013, 12:54 AM
Dr. Jim

GOLD Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oren Hudson View Post
...It didn't have any sound when I first plugged it in, but after cleaning and lubing the speaker terminals and speaker jack, the nearly 45 year old cab came to life...
Amazing. Can you describe how this was done and how it helped?

www.jamescarr.net
Quote:
Originally Posted by BullWinkleEffect
Now Rocky, anybody can fart louder than a B-15 or '59 410 Bassman!
Old 12-02-2013, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Carr View Post
Amazing. Can you describe how this was done and how it helped?
Easy fix for you Dr. Jim, or most anyone else. As mentioned, cab had been sitting for a number of years and subjected to some moisture during that time that created a rusted together effect on most all metal surfaces. Kroil is the answer. It freed up, cleaned and lubricated connections so they could make a proper contact. Give it a try sometime Dr. Jim. You'll be amazed at what you can heal.
Old 12-02-2013, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyM View Post
Quite cool, Oren! I once bought a 418b off Ebay to try out in the 77 B-15N I used to have, but the guy sold it to me with a blown voice coil. Then I sent it back to him in the crappy box he sent it to me in and it got smashed up. Ended up losing money on the deal after a round of "Who broke the speaker," so I never tried again.
Thanks Jimmy. I've always liked the tuck n' roll Kustoms. The JBL & Altec loaded ones particularly sound quite good with some power pushing them. I expected Altec 421A's when I got it, so the 418 Type Dia-Cone was a surprise. What little info that I could find on them seemed to indicate that they were more guitar speaker than bass. I'll disagree with that and say that they sound pretty much like JBL D140F's in an identical Kustom cab that I have.

Your shipping back and forth deal gets to be not much fun. On almost every vintage speaker that I've bought and had shipped, they end up being less than the seller described, even when they all said that they worked and sounded fine.
Old 12-02-2013, 08:21 AM

I had the same cab with 421As in high school....that and a mosrite bass. Not a match made in heaven, but I think it was mostly the bass.
Ohio Bassists member #11
Official Ampeg Portaflex Owners Club member #69
Old 12-02-2013, 09:33 AM

Kustom 215

A year or two ago, I bought a K200B-3. The -3 has reverb, vibrato, tremolo, in Cascade (blue/green). The amp was ok, but the cab needed speakers. So I installed a couple of old CTS drivers that I had re-coned in the 90's and stored away since then. Sounds good and zapped that particular GAS. But the hardest part of refurbing this setup was getting the nicotine stains off of the vent tubes. It took several days of soaking in alcohol....PS OP, I notice that your cab tubes and logo appear to be chrome, where mine are buff aluminum, and the rear jackplate is black wrinkle finish, with no writing. Is the chrome indicative of a special version, or a earlier/ later version? Maybe the chrome, etc is for the Altec equipped version?? Hmm.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kustom.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	241.9 KB
ID:	378048  
#226 Big Cabs Club, #95 fEARful Club, #55 Danelectro Club, #144 ERB Club, #192 Peavey Amps Club. Geddy Lee J Club pending, (As soon as I get off my lazy butt and sign up.)

Last edited by 4-stringB : 12-02-2013 at 09:53 AM. Reason: pic
Old 12-02-2013, 09:51 AM

Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine

Supporting Member
Retro-Chic.

Nice.
Old 12-02-2013, 10:17 AM

Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4-stringB View Post
A year or two ago, I bought a K200B-3. The -3 has reverb, vibrato, tremolo, in Cascade (blue/green). The amp was ok, but the cab needed speakers. So I installed a couple of old CTS drivers that I had re-coned in the 90's and stored away since then. Sounds good and zapped that particular GAS. But the hardest part of refurbing this setup was getting the nicotine stains off of the vent tubes. It took several days of soaking in alcohol....PS OP, I notice that your cab tubes and logo appear to be chrome, where mine are buff aluminum, and the rear jackplate is black wrinkle finish, with no writing. Is the chrome indicative of a special version, or a earlier/ later version? Maybe the chrome, etc is for the Altec equipped version?? Hmm.
The ports on my old Kustom were chrome plated plastic.

Praise tools crafted by - Dingwall Designer Guitars, Michael Arnopol Sound, and Reeves Amplification
Old 12-02-2013, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4-stringB View Post
....PS OP, I notice that your cab tubes and logo appear to be chrome, where mine are buff aluminum, and the rear jackplate is black wrinkle finish, with no writing. Is the chrome indicative of a special version, or a earlier/ later version? Maybe the chrome, etc is for the Altec equipped version?? Hmm.
Chrome is indicative of some minor changes beginning approximately 1969. Prior to approximately '69, the tubes and hooded part of the wheels were the buff aluminum. The Kustom logo on front had Kustom by Ross, Inc. and the speaker jack plate was usually blank. After approximately '69, the tubes and hooded wheel cover were chromed, the front emblem changed to Kustom Electronics, Inc. and the speaker jack displayed the type speaker installed. CTS was standard, with Jensen, JBL and Altec being optional. So yours would be approximately '68 or earlier. If you can see the speaker code on the rim of the frame, I can tell you when it was made. On the head, with the serial number, I can tell you approximately when it was made as well. Folks have found all types of things stuffed through those tubes. I've not found anything too unusual though. Cascade/blue is also nice.

Last edited by Oren Hudson : 12-02-2013 at 12:40 PM.
Old 12-02-2013, 12:28 PM

Proprietor Springvale Studios

Lightbulb Yup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oren Hudson View Post
And more.
Those drivers are a close relative of my old 418 series II's I have in the original option Ampeg metal badge SVT 115's.
They are a great sounding speaker for guitar or bass especially with a great tube amp up to 200watts, you will have a heck of a good tone on bass.
The midrange is to die for, so smooth and extended, with no lumps, bumps and nasty peaks just pure agility and tone for miles.
PS You won't need a tweeter:-)