Thank You

Latest Supporting Member
Donate to Upgrade Today

Closed Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 06:54 AM

Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollow Man View Post
Based on your description, I probably wouldn't recommend the TH500 for you.
+1

Old school in the sense of being rather dark, sure. But clean?

I can understand why it's a popular amp, but I would never equate it with clean. Words like congested, murky and fuzzy come to mind, at least to my ear.
Old 12-06-2012, 08:11 AM

Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_rolfeca View Post
+1

I can understand why it's a popular amp, but I would never equate it with clean. Words like congested, murky and fuzzy come to mind, at least to my ear.
I would use terms more like 'warm, rough, fat', but we are all saying the same thing. GREAT amp for, as an oversimplification, that P Bass/60's J with flats or nickel wound tone. LOVE it, but just for that vibe.

I think there is a reason that you see the Aguilar stuff (especially the DB750, which has much in common with the TH500) with all these more 'Indie' type rock bands, where the bass nicely slots in the mix and puts a pillow under the band versus lots of grind and sparkle and super clean voicing. IMO there. I think George Porter, Jr. is using one now, which makes much sense.

Last edited by KJung : 12-06-2012 at 08:36 AM.
Old 12-06-2012, 08:55 AM
Supporting Member

Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_rolfeca View Post
+1

I thought that was a description of Ampeg? Oh well. We're in the clean club here.
Old 12-06-2012, 09:07 AM

Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukiah Bass View Post
I thought that was a description of Ampeg? Oh well. We're in the clean club here.
Different kind of dirt
Old 12-06-2012, 09:24 AM

Supporting Member
Actually, with the Drive and Gain down (almost near zero), the TH500 stays quite clean. Certainly not its strongest point, but it is very clear, warm, and punchy.
Old 12-06-2012, 09:35 AM

Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntrepidCellist View Post
Actually, with the Drive and Gain down (almost near zero), the TH500 stays quite clean. Certainly not its strongest point, but it is very clear, warm, and punchy.
+1

I am very satisfied with the TH500's tasty clean sound when set this way. I also find myself dialing the mids control down depending on the bass I'm using.

SOME GREAT BASSES FOR SALE! Jaco Tribute Jazz SOLD :|: L-2500
Old 12-06-2012, 09:36 AM

Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntrepidCellist View Post
IMO and IME, there is still something going on with the top end that results in a lot of character and not the 'clean snap' of some of the other heads out there. The treble control doesn't work like the typical 'shelving' treble control (Eublet did some scopes in another thread), and if you try to make it 'sparkle', it gets a bit 'ganky and spikey'. Again, not so much a negative as a design goal by the manufacturer... it is meant to (IMO and IME) be fat and warm, and is focused down low much more than up top. It is kind of the 'anti-GK' head (again, not implying 'better or worse' here... just very different).

You can definitely get it so that there is no 'distortion' in the sense of an overdrive pedal, but there is always a lot of 'midrange harmonic complexity' that give it, like the DB750, its characteristic tone.

Again, back to the TC112/115/212, it is a pretty nice matchup if you want to benefit from the amazing 'size/weight/low end/max volume performance of the Thunderchild cabs, but want to get back a little more to a more classic 2 way bass cab voicing (i.e., add a bit of break-up and warmth into that very clean, transparent box).
Old 12-06-2012, 07:17 PM

Supporting Member

I just got done looking at BGM #9 (still waiting for the paper copy) review of the baer ml112 and really like the looks of the frequency response chart. Knowing that and what drivers are in the Hathor, it seems like the ML112 would be much more aggressive but, Tom's comparison of the two makes the 1544 sound more aggressive and mid forward, although I don't think he did actually say too much about the mids. Im just so excited to get the hathor cabs. If that doesn't do it for me, I may try the Ml212 when it comes out or just get a pair of Berg Hd210 cabs and stop playing around. The 1544's sound like they should be the right cabs though. I hate waiting for toys!
Old 12-06-2012, 07:47 PM

Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJung View Post
IMO and IME, there is still something going on with the top end that results in a lot of character and not the 'clean snap' of some of the other heads out there. The treble control doesn't work like the typical 'shelving' treble control (Eublet did some scopes in another thread), and if you try to make it 'sparkle', it gets a bit 'ganky and spikey'. Again, not so much a negative as a design goal by the manufacturer... it is meant to (IMO and IME) be fat and warm, and is focused down low much more than up top. It is kind of the 'anti-GK' head (again, not implying 'better or worse' here... just very different).

You can definitely get it so that there is no 'distortion' in the sense of an overdrive pedal, but there is always a lot of 'midrange harmonic complexity' that give it, like the DB750, its characteristic tone.

Again, back to the TC112/115/212, it is a pretty nice matchup if you want to benefit from the amazing 'size/weight/low end/max volume performance of the Thunderchild cabs, but want to get back a little more to a more classic 2 way bass cab voicing (i.e., add a bit of break-up and warmth into that very clean, transparent box).
How does the Blue Soul fair with the TC15. I think some mention the top end as not having sparkle with the accent of the 8 and 10 k freq. Thunderfunk and TH 500 are not that type of amp although it does give good high but no amp gives everything. There is always a sacrifice.

Alleva Coppolo - Sadowsky
Alleva Coppolo club member #3
Thunderfunk Member #8
Gallien-Krueger Club #926
Old 12-07-2012, 11:54 AM
Only immortal for a limited time

Owner & designer, AudioKinesis; Auth. mfg, Big E (Home Audio only)

GOLD Supporting Member
I must unfortuntately report that the TC115s with the custom Kappalite woofer are coming off the market. The minimum quantities requried for placing an order for another batch of custom 15" Kappalite-based woofers is a lot higher than when I started out, not to mention the higher per-unit cost of neodymium woofers in general. As a result, another production run is out of reach, at least for now. My stash of 15" woofers has run down pretty low and I need to keep some in reserve in case of warranty claims.

In January I expect to introduce a 15" cab based on the Faital 15PR400, which is available in both 4 and 8 ohms. Maximum output will be a little bit less than the Kappalite-based 115s, but not by much because I think I can squeeze a little bit more output before the excursion limits kick in by playing with the tuning a bit. Size will be comparable to the TC115 Compact.

Speaking of 8 ohm cabs, I have begun accepting orders for an 8-ohm version of the TC112, using the stock Kappalite 3012LF woofer. Sorry I resisted that for so long, I know some of you asked for it a long time ago.
Old 12-07-2012, 12:01 PM
Supporting Member

Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeLeJeune View Post
I must unfortuntately report that the TC115s with the custom Kappalite woofer are coming off the market. The minimum quantities requried for placing an order for another batch of custom 15" Kappalite-based woofers is a lot higher than when I started out, not to mention the higher per-unit cost of neodymium woofers in general. As a result, another production run is out of reach, at least for now. My stash of 15" woofers has run down pretty low and I need to keep some in reserve in case of warranty claims.
If there is an issue down the road with one of your custom 15s, will a standard re-cone work such as for a blown driver?
Old 12-07-2012, 12:05 PM

GOLD Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by will33 View Post
Chiming in here to give Duke a Texas-size high five for that 1512 cab. I've been modeling and messing with 2-ways using guitar drivers for mids and highs. If I make them the footprint of my big Classic400 tube amp, the cabs get too big and I have to use styrofoam or something to artificially shrink the box, especially when modeling sealed 15's and even some ported ones. I never even thought to mount the drivers one behind the other and honestly didn't even know if you could without causing some sort of interference between the 2.

Brilliant work Duke. I assume with the highs leading the lows it sounds nice, at least from what I've read on stuff like how our brain interpets time delays, etc.
Thank you Will, but at this point the 1512 cab is off of the front burner. I don't think it really does anything better than the Hathor 1544 cab does, and frankly I just like the sound of the 1544 better. The 1512 concept probably has potential that I haven't really tapped into yet, but for now I'm going to work on other things that I think are more promising.
Old 12-07-2012, 12:09 PM

GOLD Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukiah Bass View Post
If there is an issue down the road with one of your custom 15s, will a standard re-cone work such as for a blown driver?
The right recone kit is needed, and I don't have any. At the time that I ordered the 15" woofers, I didn't realize I had the option to order recone kits. And unfortunately recone kits can only be ordered at the same time as a run of woofers, so I can't go back and order them now. That's why I'm stopping production with woofers sitting in unopened boxes. I don't think I've had any warranty claims on 15" woofers yet, but want to play it safe.

Just to be clear, all orders presently in place for TC115s will be filled. And the Faital-based 115 has been prototyped, I just haven't built a production version yet.

With my last batch of 12" woofers (placed just as the neodymium crisis was beginning), I ordered a double-batch of recone kits, so I'm in better shape there.

Last edited by DukeLeJeune : 12-07-2012 at 12:18 PM.
Old 12-07-2012, 12:18 PM

Supporting Member
Wow, a 15 with the faital would be great. I never liked any version of the 3015/3015LF in any cab I tried.
Old 12-07-2012, 12:21 PM

GOLD Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnewmark View Post
Wow, a 15 with the faital would be great. I never liked any version of the 3015/3015LF in any cab I tried.
Well there ya go! I guess there's a vast untapped area of the market just waiting for a Thunderchild-esque 115 with the Faital woofer!

Something I'm working on for the Faital 115 cab is, an improved rear-firing tweet for those who opt for it. The new rear-firing tweet will have a wider pattern, which I think will do the job better. I'm also looking into incorporating pole-mount and kick-back capability as standard features, to make the cab more versatile.

Last edited by DukeLeJeune : 12-07-2012 at 12:26 PM.
Old 12-07-2012, 12:32 PM

Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited

Well, some bumps in the road....

Any "dusting off" of plans for a ceramic based version, as I think was considered when neo prices went crazy?
Old 12-07-2012, 12:35 PM

Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited

I can see the Hathor being more versatile than the guitar driver based cab and still beimg able to present some "character".

I just, for whatever reason, have been really getting into the whole guitar driver thing from playing with it through biamping, etc.
Old 12-07-2012, 12:38 PM

Supporting Member
Quote:

In January I expect to introduce a 15" cab based on the Faital 15PR400, which is available in both 4 and 8 ohms. Maximum output will be a little bit less than the Kappalite-based 115s, but not by much because I think I can squeeze a little bit more output before the excursion limits kick in by playing with the tuning a bit. Size will be comparable to the TC115 Compact.

Speaking of 8 ohm cabs, I have begun accepting orders for an 8-ohm version of the TC112, using the stock Kappalite 3012LF woofer. Sorry I resisted that for so long, I know some of you asked for it a long time ago.
Can you charge a little more or whatever the price difference is? Hate to see it off the market as I like the way it sounds. Im sure others do to.

Alleva Coppolo - Sadowsky
Alleva Coppolo club member #3
Thunderfunk Member #8
Gallien-Krueger Club #926
Old 12-07-2012, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Something I'm working on for the Faital 115 cab is..
Hello Duke, please, while you are at the design phase, consider making it with full front grill or cloth option. As the design is now, it still visually resembles some DIY-put-together cab from hardware store parts.. with its cone horn and tennis racqet grill for woofer. I know your cabs are light years ahead in sound quality and one of the best cabs on the market. But this visual aspect was still holding me back.
I am this close to put order for Bassic 15 cabinet. If you can offer full front grill option for more "traditional bass cab" look, I would rather go TC115-Faital way.

Last edited by nemo : 12-07-2012 at 01:12 PM.
Old 12-07-2012, 12:47 PM

Supporting Member
Quote:
Well there ya go! I guess there's a vast untapped area of the market just waiting for a Thunderchild-esque 115 with the Faital woofer!

Something I'm working on for the Faital 115 cab is, an improved rear-firing tweet for those who opt for it. The new rear-firing tweet will have a wider pattern, which I think will do the job better. I'm also looking into incorporating pole-mount and kick-back capability as standard features, to make the cab more versatile.
Excellent ! As someone who routinely raises his cabs, a pole mount would be interesting.