Supporting Membership
Thank You

Latest Supporting Member
Donate to Upgrade Today

Closed Thread

Old 11-15-2012, 02:58 PM

President, Baer Amplification

GOLD Supporting Member
The ML115 has got a pretty kick ass woofer in it. If you've got the wattage for it, it can take pretty much anything you can dish out, but keep in mind this isn't a "compact 15".
Bass Gear Magazine's review of the ML112 here.
Visit us on Facebook

Last edited by R Baer : 11-15-2012 at 03:00 PM.
Old 11-15-2012, 02:58 PM

Havin gigged a 1x12 with a 3012HO a couple times and olayed an SWR goliath 2x10 a few times in various stores, I offer a vaguely informed opinion that the Baer ML112 should be a more than adequate replacement for the 2x10, given sufficient wattage at 8 ohms (300-400).

I'd expect that the true sensitivity is actually slightly in the favor of the Baer by a db or two, and it likely has a hair more low end and a hair more going on in the mids.

Just this man's humble opinion however.
Old 11-15-2012, 02:59 PM

Send a message via AIM to GRoberts Send a message via Yahoo to GRoberts
Supporting Member
Is the ML115 available yet? Is it a 1x15 and 6" mid/high? Haven't met many 15" Cabs that I liked in the past. They don't usually have the focused punch and quickness that I like. But technology and designs have changed. This could be a very cool one cab option! Will it be an 8 ohm cab only or is a 4 ohm version also an option?
MarkBass Club #59, Nordstrand Club #2, Bergantino, In Loving Memory of Adrian Garcia. 5-String Bass Member #459
Old 11-15-2012, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpsands View Post
Havin gigged a 1x12 with a 3012HO a couple times and olayed an SWR goliath 2x10 a few times in various stores, I offer a vaguely informed opinion that the Baer ML112 should be a more than adequate replacement for the 2x10, given sufficient wattage at 8 ohms (300-400).

I'd expect that the true sensitivity is actually slightly in the favor of the Baer by a db or two, and it likely has a hair more low end and a hair more going on in the mids.

Just this man's humble opinion however.
Could be an excellent choice then given his follow-up comments then.
Old 11-15-2012, 03:50 PM

GOLD Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRoberts View Post
Is the ML115 available yet? Is it a 1x15 and 6" mid/high? Haven't met many 15" Cabs that I liked in the past. They don't usually have the focused punch and quickness that I like. But technology and designs have changed. This could be a very cool one cab option! Will it be an 8 ohm cab only or is a 4 ohm version also an option?
Hey Gary,
It's always hard to judge the "quickness and punch" terminology, as I always think these perceptions are more frequency based than anything having to do with the speed of the driver. I think most people perceive a more midrange focused, brighter sound to sound "quicker", while a cab with big lows can be perceived to be "slower". With the ML115, we went for a little more vintage sound, but I wouldn't consider that to be any less punchy. The cab will let you EQ a really wide variety of tones, and the B string through this cab sounds really muscular and focused. Right now the cab is only available as a 8ohm cab, but if we get enough request, we might look into a 4ohm version. I really felt that 8ohm hits the right spot as 2 of these cabs with a good powerful head would just be crazy sounding and there aren't many 2ohm heads around.

Visit us on Facebook

Last edited by R Baer : 11-15-2012 at 03:54 PM.
Old 11-15-2012, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpsands

Hmmm.....! I need to hear these cabs.
Old 11-15-2012, 04:15 PM

But the ML115 is available for order? Can you give specs, dimensions, weight, please?
Old 11-15-2012, 08:00 PM

GOLD Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eublet View Post
But the ML115 is available for order? Can you give specs, dimensions, weight, please?
These should be available by NAMM. Same footprint as the other ML cabs and 25"h. Weight is 51lbs. and the cabs already have the hardware in place for mounting the optional caster kit. We will have specs and prices, as soon as everything is locked.
Visit us on Facebook
Old 11-16-2012, 06:55 AM

Supporting Member
I couldn't help but notice what's driving this cab - looks great. I can only imagine the sounds a Valkyrie is capable of.

Praise tools crafted by - Dingwall Designer Guitars, Michael Arnopol Sound, and Reeves Amplification
Old 11-16-2012, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritbass
I couldn't help but notice what's driving this cab - looks great.
Yes, all this stuff certainly looks terrific. May I suggest a 'head-case' for the V? Same tolex, metal corners etc.................. It would look even terrific-er that way.
Old 11-17-2012, 11:16 AM

GOLD Supporting Member
There will be a matching 2U head case available for the Valkyrie.
Visit us on Facebook
Old 11-17-2012, 11:23 AM

Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine

Supporting Member
'ere ya go. perfect

All I need to do is to be able to give you money.
Old 11-17-2012, 11:25 AM

Supporting Member
I have to amend my previous stance on this...

I got a call to do some double bass session work this coming week, so, I've been messing with the ML112's while I try and get my chops back to speed.
They actually work just fine for DB, and I like them.

I'm not sure how I came to my previous conclusion that I didn't; but I'd wager that, in part, this comes from having played these for several months and letting my ears re-adjust to them. They do their thing a bit differently than the other cabs I've been using, but, they do what they do quite nicely, and actually feel like they have more top end than some horn loaded cabs....freaky how they do that.
Old 11-17-2012, 11:44 AM

Send a message via AIM to GRoberts Send a message via Yahoo to GRoberts
Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef View Post
......... I'd wager that, in part, this comes from having played these for several months and letting my ears re-adjust to them. They do their thing a bit differently than the other cabs I've been using, but, they do what they do quite nicely, and actually feel like they have more top end than some horn loaded cabs....freaky how they do that.
I would wager the highs have more substance since they are not in that thinner, more sizzly frequency range of horn loaded tweeters. meaty highs opposed to sizzly, bright and snappy highs.
MarkBass Club #59, Nordstrand Club #2, Bergantino, In Loving Memory of Adrian Garcia. 5-String Bass Member #459
Old 11-17-2012, 12:17 PM

Supporting Member
Quote:

I got a call to do some double bass session work this coming week, so, I've been messing with the ML112's while I try and get my chops back to speed.
They actually work just fine for DB, and I like them.

I'm not sure how I came to my previous conclusion that I didn't; but I'd wager that, in part, this comes from having played these for several months and letting my ears re-adjust to them. They do their thing a bit differently than the other cabs I've been using, but, they do what they do quite nicely, and actually feel like they have more top end than some horn loaded cabs....freaky how they do that.
I've been saying for a long time how wonderful the ML112 is for upright bass. Use an acoustic bass friendly head and you'll be in your happy place.
What kind of pickup are you using?
Old 11-17-2012, 12:39 PM

Supporting Member
bassmax, lr baggs paracoustic, or, fdeck hpfIII; walkabout
Old 11-17-2012, 12:44 PM
a/k/a Steve Cooper

Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRoberts View Post
I would wager the highs have more substance since they are not in that thinner, more sizzly frequency range of horn loaded tweeters. meaty highs opposed to sizzly, bright and snappy highs.
That's my experience with an electric bass through the ML112 cabs, yep. I especially like the slap tone I'm getting, because of that.
Redneck Bassist #20
(Hell, yeah--a redneck can do funk.)

New Jersey Bassist #80 emeritus
(G.S.P. exit 105.)
Old 11-17-2012, 02:39 PM

GOLD Supporting Member
Quote:

They actually work just fine for DB, and I like them. ..I'm not sure how I came to my previous conclusion that I didn't; but I'd wager that, in part, this comes from having played these for several months and letting my ears re-adjust to them. They do their thing a bit differently than the other cabs I've been using, but, they do what they do quite nicely, and actually feel like they have more top end than some horn loaded cabs....freaky how they do that.
Maybe it's just my ears, but the few uprights I've heard with the ML112's, seem to sound a bit more "woody" and organic compared to a traditional cab. These are not studio flat cabs by any means, but it really seems like the peaks and dips are in just the right spots to where it really does seem quite natural for bass. I actually spent quite some time at one point trying to flatten out the upper end peaks with the crossover, but always kept coming back to the original design when I would A/B the two.
Visit us on Facebook

Last edited by R Baer : 11-17-2012 at 05:24 PM.
Old 11-19-2012, 02:20 PM

So every time I think I'm ready just to give this cab a try and put in an order, I start seeing you guys use the "bright" term in describing it. I don't like bright...
Old 11-19-2012, 02:24 PM
If it sounds good, it is good

Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine

GOLD Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eublet View Post
So every time I think I'm ready just to give this cab a try and put in an order, I start seeing you guys use the "bright" term in describing it. I don't like bright...
Do you like upper mids?

Do you have a passive tone control?

Issue #14 now available!

Find us on Facebook. Free apps for iPhone/iPad, Android or Kindle.

2014 NAMM Pics

Closed Thread