Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine

Supporting Member
I nearly always run them vertical.
Old 11-26-2012, 08:39 PM

President, Baer Amplification

GOLD Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by nordyboy View Post
They are stunning, you will not be disappointed. They are quite deep front to back compared to other cabs I have used but it has not been an issue so far for me. Looking forward to your comments when they arrive.
I've seen a few post about the depths of the ML112, so I decided to do a little research on some other popular 112 cabs out there to see how it compares:

Bergantino HD112 - 15"
Hartke HyDrive 112 - 16"
GB NX2 112 - 16 1/2"
Baer ML112 - 16 7/8"
Epifani UL3112 - 16 7/8"
Epifani DIST 112 - 17 1/4"
Aguilar GS112 - 18"
Aguilar SL112 - 18"
Mesa PH112 - 18 3/8"
Aguilar DB112 - 19"

Thanks for posting the pic of the horizontal stack with a micro on top. We also get a lot of comments about amps not being able to sit on the cabs in the horizontal position, but with the amps I've tried, they seem to sit just fine right on top of the handle, like in your picture. The rubber on that handle seems to hold the amp in place and having the amp tilting up like that makes it a little easier to see.
Bass Gear Magazine's review of the ML112 here.
Visit us on Facebook

Last edited by R Baer : 11-26-2012 at 08:45 PM.
Old 11-26-2012, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Baer

I've seen a few post about the depths of the ML112, so I decided to do a little research on some other popular 112 cabs out there to see how it compares:

Bergantino HD112 - 15"
Hartke HyDrive 112 - 16"
GB NX2 112 - 16 1/2"
Baer ML112 - 16 7/8"
Epifani UL3112 - 16 7/8"
Epifani DIST 112 - 17 1/4"
Aguilar GS112 - 18"
Aguilar SL112 - 18"
Mesa PH112 - 18 3/8"
Aguilar DB112 - 19"
Yeah, I don't get the depth complaint at all. Very typical for a 112, and even better considering its front ported.
Old 11-26-2012, 08:57 PM

Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs, Jule Amps

Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eublet View Post
Yeah, I don't get the depth complaint at all. Very typical for a 112, and even better considering its front ported.
The Berg AE210 (and current HD210) is 12.5" deep so that is my previous reference point. The Tecamp XS112 is 13.8 deep. If you're on a tight stage, a few inches can make a difference between having enough space and not. Some venues it doesn't matter. Others it is a factor. The front porting and recessed speaker jack certainly help.

Some places are stupid-tight

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Baer View Post
Regardless of what you see in the magazines, you just can't argue toast physics.

Last edited by nostatic : 11-26-2012 at 09:05 PM.
Old 11-26-2012, 08:59 PM

Supporting Member
Man, if I'm playing a stage where "recessed speaker jack/not recessed" is a difference maker when it comes to enough room or not....well, then, I shoulda give up donuts two decades ago.

Old 11-26-2012, 09:09 PM
There are some who call me.......Sactobass

Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by nostatic View Post

Yeah, I'd say that's pretty darn cozy lookin!
Old 11-26-2012, 09:11 PM

Supporting Member
TWSS

Don't be bitter because I did it before you did.

Quote:

Old 11-26-2012, 09:16 PM

Supporting Member
you win this round, chef. But I'll be back.

One of the sax players isn't pictured in that photo. I can't run a pedal board on the floor - I had a tiny board with tuner and compressor that I sat on top of the cab. That is probably the worst example (we play there somewhat regularly), but plenty of trio and quartet jazz hits that end up stuff against some sliding glass doors in a lounge area.

The other issue is portability and the carry. One thing that people complain about Aggie cabs is they are awkward to carry due to the handle placement and size. I haven't carried an ML112 yet but looks like it isn't bad.

Quote:
Regardless of what you see in the magazines, you just can't argue toast physics.
Old 11-26-2012, 11:22 PM

GOLD Supporting Member
Quote:

One of the sax players isn't pictured in that photo. I can't run a pedal board on the floor - I had a tiny board with tuner and compressor that I sat on top of the cab. That is probably the worst example (we play there somewhat regularly), but plenty of trio and quartet jazz hits that end up stuff against some sliding glass doors in a lounge area.

The other issue is portability and the carry. One thing that people complain about Aggie cabs is they are awkward to carry due to the handle placement and size. I haven't carried an ML112 yet but looks like it isn't bad.
I think the ML112 is a pretty easy carry. I'm 50, had knee surgery, elbow surgery and have some shoulder problems, so if I have a hard time moving one of my cabs, I keep tweaking the form until I feel it's manageable for me. The ML112 was originally 23"w x 17 1/2"d and I felt that was just a bit unwieldy, so we went back to the drawing board. When we got to the current 22 1/2"w x 16 7/8" (really 16 3/4", if you don't count the metal corners) it felt like a fairly easy carry to me.

Looks like a great band. You'll have to let me know when you have some gigs in town and I will try and make it down to one.
Visit us on Facebook
Old 11-27-2012, 02:38 AM

Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRoberts View Post
Those look killer in the horizontal stack. Do you ever stack them on end Vertically?
I have only experimented with stacking configurations at home as I have not yet needed both cabs live, but at home I would say the horizontal stack sounded a little fatter. I would probably go vertical when live to allow me to hear myself without having to crank the volume too much which can really spoil the foh mix
Old 11-27-2012, 11:19 AM

GOLD Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by nordyboy View Post
I have only experimented with stacking configurations at home as I have not yet needed both cabs live, but at home I would say the horizontal stack sounded a little fatter. I would probably go vertical when live to allow me to hear myself without having to crank the volume too much which can really spoil the foh mix
The horizontal stack will sound a little fatter down low because both woofers are closer to each other, so there is some coupling effect going on there between the drivers and the floor. The vertical stack will sound a little leaner because of the increase distance between the drivers and the fact that one of the mids is now closer to ear level. Knowing this, you can actually use the configuration to help adjust to the venue.

Horizontal stack can be useful in a room where the bass typical sounds a bit weak, or thin. It's also great on a bigger stage where you find yourself a ways out from the rig and you can take advantage of the great mid dispersion. The vertical stack is great for boomy rooms where the bass tends to build up and sound like mud. Also useful for cutting down the boom you get from playing on a hollow platform stage. Of course, this is also the way to go on a small stage as you get the top mid driver much closer to ear level. This lets you turn the volume down on stage, which of course helps everybody and makes the sound guy mighty happy.
Visit us on Facebook
Old 11-27-2012, 11:57 AM

Supporting Member
Quote:

I have some of the same issues. There are times when I'm literaly standing one or two inches away from my box or the box is on my side and I'm actually behind it. SUCKS!!!

Having said that, I find the ML112 an easier carry than many other boxes because the handle is GREAT, and the placement is just right. And to nostatic... If you liked the AE210 from the mids up, you'll probably like the ML112 too. The big difference is from the mids down. A little bigger and lower with the Baer's
Old 11-27-2012, 11:58 AM

Send a message via AIM to GRoberts Send a message via Yahoo to GRoberts
Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by B String View Post
I have some of the same issues. There are times when I'm literaly standing one or two inches away from my box or the box is on my side and I'm actually behind it. SUCKS!!!

Having said that, I find the ML112 an easier carry than many other boxes because the handle is GREAT, and the placement is just right. And to nostatic... If you liked the AE210 from the mids up, you'll probably like the ML112 too. The big difference is from the mids down. A little bigger and lower with the Baer's
And this means if I liked the mids up from my AE410, I will like the mid punch from the ML112's as well ....yes?
MarkBass Club #59, Nordstrand Club #2, Bergantino, In Loving Memory of Adrian Garcia. 5-String Bass Member #459
Old 11-27-2012, 12:27 PM

Graphic Designer, Zon Guitars

Supporting Member
Quote:
Wow, I didn't realize that Ricky Gervais was the lead singer in your band!

Old 11-27-2012, 12:57 PM

Supporting Member
Quote:
Well, ordered a pair of ML112s, should be here for weekend gig shakedowns.
Cool, man. Hope they treat you well.

I've said it before, but while it's been brought back up I like the pair to be ran in an "L" to get the woofer coupling and a few more inches of mid driver elevation. Plus my micro doesn't sit on the handle that way. Our stages are usually big enough for that, and I feel like a jerk with this huge skinny stack that blocks my drummer when I can't place the cabs too far back.

As for the depth thing, I tend to compare non-fridge cabs to suitcases. I think cabs of this size should have all the handles and rollers that a suitcase of that size has, or be in a case that does. IMO there. That said, the ML112's are very well balanced with the handle placement and the feet on two sides are really helpful for maneuvering between car and stage.
Old 11-27-2012, 01:00 PM

Supporting Member
"L configuration"..............????what?
Old 11-27-2012, 01:02 PM

Supporting Member
Bottom cab horizontal, top cab vertical with the woofers aligned.

twss

Quote:
Old 11-27-2012, 01:04 PM

Supporting Member
1) thanks
2) weeeeeak

Quote:
1)Bottom cab horizontal, top cab vertical with the woofers aligned.

2)twss
Old 11-27-2012, 01:04 PM

Supporting Member
I've never messed with the "L" config.....
Old 11-27-2012, 01:05 PM

Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef View Post
2) weeeeeak
Obviously your woofers have never properly coupled...

Quote:
Closed Thread