Register Rules/FAQ/CUP Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Supporting Membership
Thank You

Latest Supporting Member
Donate to Upgrade Today

Old 01-18-2013, 05:46 PM

Baer ML112 115 or ?

Greetings all,

Looking for some cabinet advice. I've been playing with a reggae band and my current set up is just not getting a good dubby tone.

I use a mesa walkabout. I found the 12 that came with the combo gets a great rock tone but doesn't clean up enough for my current needs.

I have an ampeg BA115hp that the amp crapped out on so turned it into a cabinet. I hate to admit it but the walkabout/ampeg 15" gets a much better dub tone...but I love gear and need an excuse.

Out of all these high efficiency cabinets available what would work for my needs?

I'm thinking specifically of the Baer cabinets.

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-18-2013, 06:12 PM

Not sure I'd associate the ML112 with reggae, tbh. I'm sure it could do it with some eq-ing, but doesn't quite feel like the ideal tool for the job. In the realm of high-end cabs, maybe something along the lines of a fEARful Bassic or Dually?
Old 01-18-2013, 06:43 PM

Supporting Member
I agree with mehve. There is a lot of mid content in the ML 112 that I love for my tone goals but not what I think of for dub sound. Probably could do it with eq but a waste of that mid driver IMO. Ml115 will probably be better for dub style out of the box from my understanding of the ml115. Roger could help you out.
Old 01-18-2013, 08:04 PM
Hip No Ties

Send a message via ICQ to MysticMichael Send a message via AIM to MysticMichael
Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdelemus View Post
Out of all these high efficiency cabinets available what would work for my needs?
My advice would be "none of the above". Seriously, a Walkabout? To play reggae & dub? Please!

Really, reggae/dub is one genre that you simply can't do on the cheap. To play it properly requires huge, deep, powerful lows. And that means big cabs and/or high-excursion woofers, plus a very powerful amp. There are no shortcuts. High efficiency, per se, doesn't really enter into it.

One cat in particular - TalkBass handle: "BurningSkies" - has what appears to be a very cool reggae/dub rig: a fEARful 15/6 + fEARful 15 sub, with a Kern IP-777 preamp, and a Peavey IPR3000 power amp - for lots & lots of gooey headroom. That's gotta sound just fantastic when it comes time to shake the rafters.

If you're really serious about it, you should be thinking likewise...

MM

- William Blake, The Marriage of Heaven and Hell

Last edited by MysticMichael : 01-18-2013 at 08:08 PM.
Old 01-18-2013, 10:20 PM

President, Baer Amplification

GOLD Supporting Member
For reggae and dub, I would definitely be looking at the ML115 over the ML112. The ML115 is much bigger in the lows and will take a ton of low end boost without a problem. It also has less upper mids than the ML112's. There's no attenuator for dialing back the mid driver, but I always prefer using the amp EQ to do this rather than putting an L-pad on the cab itself. I would never recommend the wrong cabinet to a customer just to make a sale and I have no problem recommending another companies product when I think it suits the user better, but I have no problem recommending the ML115 as a reggae/dug cabinet. Two of them would be pretty bring the roof down.
Bass Gear Magazine's review of the ML112 here.
Visit us on Facebook
Old 01-19-2013, 07:28 AM
passionate hack

GOLD Supporting Member
If you want to fill a room with dub lows, and you use a Walkabout, you'll want maximum efficiency. Unless you are not playing that loud, you'll need a lot of cone area. An Epifani 410, Scout 15 or a Baer 15 would work, but a matched pair of any of those would work better. What's your budget? How married are you to the Walkabout? A more powerful head will drive lows with more authority without as much need for cone area/efficiency. If I was starting from scratch I'd get either a Mesa M9 or a poweramp/pedal with a single super 15/6 cab just because I hate carying big, heavy boxes. I usually play out with an M9>>>LDS 15/6 and for "regular" rock I have to dial back the lows. I'd love to be able to unleash the dragon in that rig and pull the "ultra bass" switch but I need to find a different band for that ;_0
Old 01-19-2013, 09:24 AM

Supporting Member
If you asked what would be a great Reggae cab I would say the responses were correct but you stated "Baer" cabinet. I don't feel its appropriate to give every other cabinet under the roof to make a point. With a ? at the end will give you more responses than you will want.
I personally don't have a Baer cab and to say what is best or even say i'm an expert Reggae bassist would be false. But if you look at the Baer threads here you will notice tons of happy bassist. Some of which i know and who had recommended me equipment i use today with very good satisfaction.
Every cab company has a product where you can get a sub type tone or feel the floor move. What I understand from the players who I know who have the Baer 12 are extremely satisfied and i think for the money and the many satisfied customers its a great cabinet. The 15 is probably without question will go deeper. If that cabinet can go lower than its 12 with such clarity that the cab is known for i am sure you to will be very satisfied. I know its a new company but I have not seen to many re sales but the ones I have seen go very quickly.
I would think it is safe to say the 15 by baer would be a good cabinet. I am also sure he has a good return policy if you dont like it, but I think its something you should be interested in with its very fast growing popularity and customers.

Alleva Coppolo - Sadowsky
Alleva Coppolo club member #3
Thunderfunk Member #8
Gallien-Krueger Club #926

Last edited by Bassist30 : 01-19-2013 at 09:33 AM.
Old 01-20-2014, 04:27 PM
Hip No Ties

Send a message via ICQ to MysticMichael Send a message via AIM to MysticMichael
Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassist30 View Post
Every cab company has a product where you can get a sub type tone or feel the floor move.
If by "sub type tone" you mean ultra-deep tone and if by "feel the floor move" you mean ultra-powerful response - such as is required to properly play reggae & dub - then your statement isn't even remotely true.

Schroeder is just one counter-example that comes to mind immediately...

MM

- William Blake, The Marriage of Heaven and Hell
Old 01-20-2014, 06:57 PM

For a moment there, I thought that reply was just a day afterwards. Then I looked at the year...
Old 01-21-2014, 10:46 AM

Getting a good Reggae sound is more about the hands than the cab, IMO. However if fat, big and dubby is what you want, Dave is offering his tweeterless B115 with "Eminence Kappalite 3015LF NEO at 4 ohm or 8 ohm with Black Tolex with satin Black Metal Grill only $349. plus $55 shipping".

Last edited by jeff7bass : 01-21-2014 at 10:50 AM.