Go Back   TalkBass Forums > Bass Guitar Forums > Bass Guitar Forums > Amps [BG]
Register Rules/FAQ/CUP Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Supporting Membership
Thank You

Latest Supporting Member
Donate to Upgrade Today

Old 01-11-2014, 10:14 PM

Bass Amp and Cab Opinion.

Hi everyone. Well its been awhile since I posted on TalkBass, but here is my question. I have a Behringer BX4500h and I am pairing it with a Peavey Headliner 1x15 8 ohm bass cab. The Behringer head is just too powerful for the Peavey Cabinet (at about 1/3 volume of the amp the speaker can distort some). Would it help to buy the Peavey Headliner 2x10 8 ohm cabinet to pair with the 1X15? I know it will give a 4 ohm load to the amp, but I just wanted to know some suggestions you guys have. Thanks everyone!
Old 01-11-2014, 10:47 PM

Supporting Member
Add a second like 15" cab. You'll get more volume with less power and be able to get even louder before both speakers reach their max. Until then cut back on the "Ultra Bass"
GK Club #488 Big Cabs #175 Peavey Amps #92 50+ Club #44 Grumpy Old Fart #2
Old 01-12-2014, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-string View Post
Add a second like 15" cab. You'll get more volume with less power and be able to get even louder before both speakers reach their max. Until then cut back on the "Ultra Bass"

Ok good deal, so would the 2X10 be ok to pair with it, or maybe a 4X10 cabinet. I just really don't want to buy a $500 4-ohm cabinet. If I can get away with just having to buy another 15" or 2X10 cabinet that would be good. Also, I don't really use the ultra bass feature on the amp. I use the Deep, Bright, and Shape buttons and it sounds really nice. It is also pretty loud as well, I just don't want to blow the speaker. I just want more power!!!

Last edited by bordinco90 : 01-12-2014 at 08:32 AM.
Old 01-12-2014, 08:27 AM

More power is not the answer. A 2nd identical cab is the answer. Yes, the 210 will work, but a matching 115 will work better.
Old 01-12-2014, 09:26 AM

Owner, Chopshopamps.com

Another vote for a second 1x15, and a double-check on the eq settings. A 1x15 peavey cab can do quite a bit. Maybe don't use the shape feature when you need it loud? They often cut the mids. What is the head rated at 8Ω?
Old 01-12-2014, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickenBoogie View Post
More power is not the answer. A 2nd identical cab is the answer. Yes, the 210 will work, but a matching 115 will work better.
A second 115 is my recommendation as well.
Old 01-12-2014, 09:45 AM

Good advice above. A matching 15 would be the best/safest option for adding an extension. BUT....it sounds like it's not so much a problem of your head being "too powerful", but more of the way you are EQ'ing your signal. Play around with cutting your lows some, and boosting your mids. I'll bet you can get a good bit more volume with out farting (which is NOT good for your speaker). You might also find the band mix sounds better (less muddy) as well!!! Give this a try and get back to us! Fix your sound first, THEN get a cab if you still need/want one.

PS Are you running an active or passive bass? A hot active signal can add to that kind of problem (again, especially if the lows are boosted).

Last edited by Joedog : 01-12-2014 at 09:48 AM.
Old 01-12-2014, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joedog View Post
Good advice above. A matching 15 would be the best/safest option for adding an extension. BUT....it sounds like it's not so much a problem of your head being "too powerful", but more of the way you are EQ'ing your signal. Play around with cutting your lows some, and boosting your mids. I'll bet you can get a good bit more volume with out farting (which is NOT good for your speaker). You might also find the band mix sounds better (less muddy) as well!!! Give this a try and get back to us! Fix your sound first, THEN get a cab if you still need/want one.

PS Are you running an active or passive bass? A hot active signal can add to that kind of problem (again, especially if the lows are boosted).

I am running a Squier VM Jazz Bass 77' stock. I have cut the gain of the head down to about 1/4 of the way (it was set on 1/2). Now I can get to about 1/2 volume. In the future I might add another 15inch cab. As for the EQ, I have the Bass a little under 1/2, the mids on 1/2, and the treble a little above 1/2.
Old 01-12-2014, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by basscooker View Post
Another vote for a second 1x15, and a double-check on the eq settings. A 1x15 peavey cab can do quite a bit. Maybe don't use the shape feature when you need it loud? They often cut the mids. What is the head rated at 8Ω?

I am not sure what the head is rated at 4ohms, it does not say in the manual.
Old 01-12-2014, 03:23 PM

It will clean up and get a lot louder without the UltraMuck button on.
Team Trace Elliot #1, IWNBARMPB Prezident, Mediocre Bassist #399, Old Basstard #86, PBBBC #2
Old 01-12-2014, 03:31 PM

+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downunderwonder View Post
It will clean up and get a lot louder without the UltraMuck button on.
Very true. I have that head and leave all of the effect buttons off except for the SHAPE filter, which can really get cool on certain songs/settings. The Ultrabass and DEEP buttons can destroy speakers and are best left OFF. Now the head can deliver some good volume and sound.

Also, yes to the identical cab. A 210 would sound "distant" or somewhat muted compared to the 115. It's better than the 115 by itself, but worse that a pair of 115's.
Old 01-12-2014, 04:24 PM

Behringer BX3000T + PV 115

I run the above equipment, and I set the Deep at max. The rest pretty much makes a smiley EQ, and Shape not engaged. The PV 115 has a BW 1502-4, rated at 350w, and per BFM, added a second 4" port. This setup satisfies most requirements, without distortion. Works well for medium clubs, practice and recording. IMHO, cutting lows for the sake of loudness clearly indicates the need to upgrade, but I'm kinda of a low freq enthusiast anyway...
#226 Big Cabs Club, #95 fEARful Club, #55 Danelectro Club, #144 ERB Club, #192 Peavey Amps Club. Geddy Lee J Club pending, (As soon as I get off my lazy butt and sign up.)
Old 01-12-2014, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff7bass View Post
Very true. I have that head and leave all of the effect buttons off except for the SHAPE filter, which can really get cool on certain songs/settings. The Ultrabass and DEEP buttons can destroy speakers and are best left OFF. Now the head can deliver some good volume and sound.

Also, yes to the identical cab. A 210 would sound "distant" or somewhat muted compared to the 115. It's better than the 115 by itself, but worse that a pair of 115's.

Cool. Yeah I set my with the DEEP, BRIGHT, and SHAPE function. It really sounds cool. On louder music I turn the DEEP off. I will probably buy another Peavey 15 in the future.
Old 01-12-2014, 05:07 PM

So it looks like everyone is telling me to buy another Peavey 15 cab. So with that being said.... How will it sound? Will it peak out? Or will it sound weaker? Just need to know how it will sound.
Old 01-12-2014, 05:13 PM

Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by bordinco90 View Post
So it looks like everyone is telling me to buy another Peavey 15 cab. So with that being said.... How will it sound? Will it peak out? Or will it sound weaker? Just need to know how it will sound.
Most likely the amp will start distorting before the two 15's reach their limits. It will be louder, more of what you have now as far as tone with some deeper low end performance.
GK Club #488 Big Cabs #175 Peavey Amps #92 50+ Club #44 Grumpy Old Fart #2
Old 01-12-2014, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-string View Post
Most likely the amp will start distorting before the two 15's reach their limits. It will be louder, more of what you have now as far as tone with some deeper low end performance.

Well, for what I have now, its more than loud enough to play medium venues. I can't wait to get another peavey 15' cab. I have been more than impressed with the Behringer BX4500h. The power it has is really great.
Old 01-13-2014, 08:56 AM

yeah

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4-stringB View Post
I run the above equipment, and I set the Deep at max. The rest pretty much makes a smiley EQ, and Shape not engaged. The PV 115 has a BW 1502-4, rated at 350w, and per BFM, added a second 4" port. This setup satisfies most requirements, without distortion. Works well for medium clubs, practice and recording. IMHO, cutting lows for the sake of loudness clearly indicates the need to upgrade, but I'm kinda of a low freq enthusiast anyway...
Well the old Black Widows can take the low end but others will distort with that DEEP switch on. If I want more bass I just turn the bass knob up like a normal amp. I prefer a bit more low mids and keep the bass around 1:00.
Old 01-13-2014, 08:57 AM

+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bordinco90 View Post
Well, for what I have now, its more than loud enough to play medium venues. I can't wait to get another peavey 15' cab. I have been more than impressed with the Behringer BX4500h. The power it has is really great.
That's the way to go. A lot more sound without stressing the cabs. Make sure your cabs are both 8 ohms cabs.