Go Back   TalkBass Forums > Bass Guitar Forums > Bass Guitar Forums > Amps [BG]
Register Rules/FAQ/CUP Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Supporting Membership
Thank You

Latest Supporting Member
Donate to Upgrade Today

Old 01-08-2014, 11:39 AM

Post Building a 2x10 bass cabinet!

Hello there, I'm new here, but I used talkbass forum for many years, but now I need your help for something very nice (hopefully).
As the title I should (I would, actually) build my own 2x10 cab.
At the very beginning I wanted something like 1x10 + 1x12 + 1x1", but I think it gets a bit harder to make (you'll tell me, right?), so I am going to build a 2x10" cab.

Didn't want to spend a lot of money, but looking on speaker prices and "accessories" prices, it is true that you can make a very good cab with less money than buying it...
I mean, if you plan everything in a good way, you will have something that fits pretty much perfectly.

My bass head is an Ashdown Little Giant 1000:
http://ashdownmusic.com/products/1/B...le-Giant-1000/

Going to use Eminence Delta 10B speakers as long as they are very cheap and are actually nice:
http://www.eminence.com/pdf/Delta_10B.pdf

And I'm going to ask you guys, what kind of tweeter should I put on it? And follows what kind of crossover should I use?

I'd like to have the one that fits perfectly, if this is possible.

I hope I get informations from you!
Tell me as much as you can!
Old 01-08-2014, 12:04 PM

Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited

This is a nice one for an affordable 8ohm 210 cab. One of the better ones I've found that's 4 or 16 ohm that isn't too cheap/crappy to use or super expensive. Nice xmax and frequency range for bass. They're about $53 each at USSpeaker.

Of course, how are you figuring/modelling the box design?

http://www.faitalpro.com/en/products...p?id=401040101

Last edited by will33 : 01-08-2014 at 12:06 PM.
Old 01-08-2014, 12:07 PM

Where are you located? That can really affect prices/availability, etc.
Old 01-08-2014, 01:20 PM

Owner of MAS Soundworks

Supporting Member
I agree that the Faital is a better choice. And you might want to try it without a tweeter---it goes pretty high and is a lot smoother than the Eminence.
Old 01-08-2014, 01:46 PM

Supporting Member
No experience with Faital, but the Delta10x are awful for electric bass.
I own several, and they are killer for 100 Hz and up, and virtually unusable below that.
They run out of linear excursion very quickly.
GOF #47
Old 01-08-2014, 01:53 PM

Supporting Member
They can sound pretty good. I just got rid of a 2x10 with those in it, and it worked out fine for my rig. The speakers have plenty of highs, I wouldn't worry about a tweeter for those.

Honestly, I loaded a Peavey cab with the Beta 10A's. It sounds better.

I would look at the Eminence Legend's - Legend BP102-8 for 4ohm cab, or Legend BP102-4 for 8ohm cab. If starting over.
Old 01-08-2014, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Arnopol View Post
I agree that the Faital is a better choice. And you might want to try it without a tweeter---it goes pretty high and is a lot smoother than the Eminence.
I haven't had one in hand yet, but I think it is a good choice for "affordable diy" basic 8ohm 210's, and should be bright enough for a lot of players on its own. One stickler about diying basic 210's is that the vast majority of off-the-shelf drivers that have a good "middle ground" ratio of performance vs. price are 8 ohms.

The 8 ohm version of the same driver is so different.....really high Q and better suited to sealed cabs.....odd. You can't change the coil without affecting a lot of other stuff but those 2 are so different it makes me wonder why they even have the same nomenclature/name/model designation or whatever.
Old 01-08-2014, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waveman View Post
They can sound pretty good. I just got rid of a 2x10 with those in it, and it worked out fine for my rig. The speakers have plenty of highs, I wouldn't worry about a tweeter for those.

Honestly, I loaded a Peavey cab with the Beta 10A's. It sounds better.

I would look at the Eminence Legend's - Legend BP102-8 for 4ohm cab, or Legend BP102-4 for 8ohm cab. If starting over.
The Beta ain't bad, I use them in my vocal wedges and can give a little "thump" if need be. They don't make the 16ohm versions anymore though, so you're still left with having a 4 or 16ohm 210. Personally, I'd opt for the 16ohm if using Betas, unless one has an extremely small amp and does small gigs, or a tube amp with no 16ohm tap.

The 4ohm Faital I linked to could also make a pretty decent 210+tweet woof/tweet/woof layout for PA tops. It looks smooth and reaches plenty high without big breakup spikes, etc., assuming the individual drivers fall in a decent margin of error from the measured one.
Old 01-09-2014, 12:18 PM

Umh, I think that I'm looking for something that goes with low, low-mids and highs, and I'm not looking for high-mids because I don't like them heh!
Anyways, what about putting 2 different speakers? I mean, what about 1 Eminence Delta 10B (for mids and highs) and something else for lows?

Eminence Delta 10B cost is about 60€ (near 80$), but it is about 350w at 16ohm, and I wanted a 8ohm 2x10 cab, so I need 2 16ohm drives to reach this!

Last edited by nelgar93 : 01-09-2014 at 12:22 PM.
Old 01-09-2014, 12:34 PM

GOLD Supporting Member
Putting differing drivers, operating within the same pass band, on the same baffle is not a good idea.

Grumpy Old Fart #3