Originally Posted by BeeMo60
I have a combo amp from the early sixties that was stored for a long time in sketchy conditions. Is there a simple, safe way to clean the grime off the Tolex on the cabinet?
Any vinyl cleaner will work, as well as Simple Green, dish soap, hand soap, laundry detergent, etc. Real Tolex is vinyl top material, so it's more durable than regular vinyl, but even regular vinyl is pretty durable but the surface isn't quite as hard as Tolex. Vinyl is often called 'Tolex', but it isn't. The backing on regular vinyl stretches more, too. Tolex stretches less because the original contact adhesive didn't hold as well and when it released, the front edge would allow air to get under and inflate the top, like a big balloon. It was fairly common in the early/mid '60s to see this on the highway.
You can use some solvents- naptha is OK, as long as you don't let it pool or remain in contact for too long. I wouldn't recommend anything stronger because the vinyl will dissolve.