Register Rules/FAQ/CUP Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Supporting Membership
Thank You

Latest Supporting Member
Donate to Upgrade Today

Old 12-19-2013, 05:20 PM

Contemplating the tube head route....

Hello fellow TB'ers,

I've been an avid solid state user for a good decade now. Currently using the Mark Bass LM3 with a 2x10 and 1x15 Mark Bass Traveller cabs. But lately I've had the GAS urge to use an all tube head. I was wondering if it would be worth while considering my current playing habits. I'm mostly playing in a original/covers unit that plays around 10 times a year and been offered a position in 2014 with a very busy covers unit. I do really love my lm3 but think I could achieve a much better sound going the valve head route. I'm thinking of getting the Ashdown ctm100 (with being a brit) and maybe an ampeg as secondary measures. Was wondering what the rest of you fellow bass enthusiast think?
Old 12-19-2013, 05:27 PM
Banned

SVT
Old 12-19-2013, 05:30 PM

Endorsing Artist: Neal Moser Guitars, DR Strings

Marshall VBA 400 + 2x VBC 412 or VBC 810.

Cheers!
Old 12-19-2013, 05:34 PM

Supporting Member
First, every bass player should own and use an all tube head at least once. Second, don't let go of what you have now until you played one at least several months to know if you really like it better.
GK Club #488 Big Cabs #175 Peavey Amps #92 50+ Club #44 Grumpy Old Fart #2
Old 12-19-2013, 05:44 PM

300w in preference to 100w. The guys swearing by 100w tube amps all run 8x10 with a handy sensitivity advantage.
Team Trace Elliot #1, IWNBARMPB Prezident, Mediocre Bassist #399, Old Basstard #86, PBBBC #2
Old 12-19-2013, 05:48 PM

What B-String said, then what David Hayes said.

People love Sunn, Traynor, Ampeg, Fender (the Bassman 100T has a lot of very, very satisfied customers), Mesa, Ashdown, Orange, Marshall, etc., even Matchless. I personally dig the SVT sound.

I can also lift two of myself without getting hurt.. ymmv.
Squier VMTB & SBCV PBass.. my wife has a Bronco. CV club #169. TBass club #78.
Old 12-19-2013, 05:57 PM

Don't go into this blind. You owe to yourself to do your homework, then go to shops and try as many different amps and cabs as you can.

Sometimes the band has a preference. In some cases, since they are hiring you, they might want to dictate what sort of sound you should have. Also, find out if you will need a DI.
Official Ampeg Portaflex Club #89
Old 12-19-2013, 06:13 PM
Banned

The new Mesa 465 watt head looks interesting.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/deta...FahDMgodj2oAQQ

It can be attenuated down to 125 watts.

I still vote SVT, but if I never owned SVTs ( or any tube heads) before I would definitely look at this one. I might check out one of the new Fender 300 watters too.
Old 12-19-2013, 07:20 PM

Amp tinkerer at Ampstack

Totally spoilt for nice valve amps in the UK, if you are anywhere near Bristol, welcome to come have a go with a bunch of my collection. Idea of the sort of sound you are after would be a good start.
Old 12-19-2013, 09:59 PM

Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups

Supporting Member
Your current rig will do the job just fine, but tube amps are a whole new dimension. I spent 20 years using tube amps exclusively, then I went hybrid for a few years because I didn't think I could handle moving an SVT and 810 for all the one nighters I suddenly had booked when I joined my current band, but I missed tube amps so much I went back to them in 2008 and never looked back. Sure, I have small amps for when the situation dictates, so I'd hang onto your current rig in case you need to be small, but I'll do the lifting for the tube amps because they're that much better IMHO.
Ampeg Portaflex Club #1
Quote:
Originally Posted by beans-on-toast View Post
Tweeters are for the birds.
Old 12-19-2013, 10:08 PM

Was invited to play w/ long term musician friends, at a festival downtown, about 4 yrs ago. The backline was equipped with an Ampeg all tube head and an 810.

It was the voice of God.

I'm sure there are other makes and models that do nicely, but that was a sound I'll never forget...
Old 12-19-2013, 10:27 PM

Supporting Member
What speakers will you be using? The following info from the barefacedbass.com site explains why this is worth some thought if using an amp with a tube power section.

"Valve amps are nothing like solidstate amps. Getting maximum power out of them relies on matching the output transformer tap's impedance with the cab's impedance as closely as possible. However, a 4 ohm or 8 ohm cab is actually only nominally 4 or 8 ohm. The actual impedance varies hugely across the frequency range. The more this varies from the nominal impedance, the harder a time your valve amp has producing its full power. It may even shorten the life of the power valves."

No question a great all-tube amp sounds best, but if I were playing in a very busy band, I'd probably buy lighter, ultra-efficient modern cabs and power them with a lightweight high powered solid state power amp racked with a good-sounding tube preamp and a power conditioner, and I'd keep an identical rack on the truck.

Last edited by kurosawa : 12-19-2013 at 10:39 PM.
Old 12-20-2013, 01:20 AM

How big are the venues?
Do you like new stuff or vintage amps?
Efficient (probably new) cabs will do wonders.
Old 12-20-2013, 12:30 PM

Thanks for the feedback guys I've read through all replies thoroughly. I was never intending on selling or trading in my current rig just "adding" a tube head to my arsenal.

I'm well aware that Ampeg are classed as the holy grails, but I've also got to think about repairs/servicing/parts etc would they be costly with Ampeg being an American brand and me being based in the UK?

The reason why I would prefer to get a 100w over the 300w Ashdown rig is so I can get the driving sound and use more of the amp's room. I don't want to be buying an amp I can't turn above notch one on the volume and sounding too clean a tone. Am I right with that belief/theory?

Also I'm a little concerned as to how a tube head would mate with my current cabs, would it be worth investing in a 2x12 cab also to stack between my current two and run at 2ohms... so effectively I'd have 2x10s at the top, 2x12s in the middle and a 1x15 at the bottom... Or would this be overkill?!
Old 12-20-2013, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smit_Dogg View Post
The reason why I would prefer to get a 100w over the 300w Ashdown rig is so I can get the driving sound and use more of the amp's room. I don't want to be buying an amp I can't turn above notch one on the volume and sounding too clean a tone. Am I right with that belief/theory?
You are correct. I have Fender 300 pro head(300 watts) that I'll never have loud enough to get that true overdriven tube sound. Love the huge, clean headroom though.
Old 12-20-2013, 01:15 PM

Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups

Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smit_Dogg View Post
Thanks for the feedback guys I've read through all replies thoroughly. I was never intending on selling or trading in my current rig just "adding" a tube head to my arsenal.

I'm well aware that Ampeg are classed as the holy grails, but I've also got to think about repairs/servicing/parts etc would they be costly with Ampeg being an American brand and me being based in the UK?
The parts they use are pretty common and should be easily found in any country at a comparable price. And if you get a new one, they would certainly have authorized tech shops that can handle your warranty issues.
Ampeg Portaflex Club #1
Quote:
Originally Posted by beans-on-toast View Post
Tweeters are for the birds.
Old 12-20-2013, 01:19 PM

I use a peavey vb-2 right now, veeeery versatile tube amp.
Old 12-20-2013, 01:29 PM

Supporting Member
Based in the UK, you say?
Orange. Orange. Orange. Orange.
Old 12-20-2013, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-oddz View Post
Not a fan of Orange sorry. Tried a few , most notably the tiny terror head , i felt it was nice and warm sounding but lacked note clarity/definition. No matter how much top end I applied..
Old 12-20-2013, 03:46 PM

Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by P-oddz View Post
If you're in the UK might as well get the real thing and go for a Matamp
Youtube Page
Swag n' Vinyl