Go Back   TalkBass Forums > Bass Guitar Forums > Bass Guitar Forums > Amps [BG]
Register Rules/FAQ/CUP Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Supporting Membership
Thank You

Latest Supporting Member
Donate to Upgrade Today

Old 12-05-2012, 01:06 PM

Eminence Delta Pro 15A for 100 Watt Tube Amp

I wanted to ask if anyione has any experience with the Delta Pro 15A? I commissioned a 100 watt Portaflex clone and gigged it last week with my 3012LF loaded 2x12" LDS cabinet. I had the amp turned way up. It dawned on me I probably need a more efficient cab setup. I was toying with getting a pair of single 15" cabs loaded with the Delta's. They have a high sensitivity and go up to 4k. I was wondering if anyone is using them in a similar set up and thoughts on the tone. Is the single speaker enough or should I add a 6" mid? Not really looking for a fearful, just trying to put together the most efficient pair of cabs I can with a nice articulate tone. Not really a modern sound but still good definition.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 12-05-2012, 01:30 PM

The DP 15A is a very good copy of the EV DL15X, one of the best 15" drivers for bass, but they can only handle 200W in a vented cabinet due to their relatively low excursion. 100W tube is a bit much for for one of them, but good for smaller gigs, two is totally safe. They have lots of upper mids, no 6" required, but large speakers 'beam' higher frequencies in a straight line, so you'll want to tilt or elevate the cab so it's pointing near your head if they're important.

I'm not a fan of 15" bass cabs, but I have had a DP 15A cab with a 1970 Traynor YBA-1 which sounded killer though not very powerful. Even though the DP 15A is probably the most efficient 15" driver on the market, it's still only the same efficiency as a modern 2x10 (SWR, Traynor etc), which can handle 400W safely.
Old 12-05-2012, 01:42 PM

Use with confidence. I've been using a kappa pro 15A in a modded BT15 cab for years with either a Plush 1060, Fender Showman or Ampeg Micro VR. Fabulous speaker for a low watt situation, i pile on the lows and it's never caved in on me, unlike an EV-15B can. but if I had to do it again I'd opt for a 3015 or a Faital
Old 12-05-2012, 01:53 PM

Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited

Delta Pros could work fine, so will regular Deltas with 100 watt amp. Another to consider is the EV 15L. Little less bottom, little brighter up top, and plays crazy loud per watt going in.

Those 15's all play high enough you wouldn't need a 6 for adding any treble extension, just for better dispersion up there if you want. I find the vertical dispersion from a single 6 helps quite a lot at small places where you use one cab and are backed up into it on small stages....really lets you hear yourself there. When using both 15's, the top one should be high enough you'll hear yourself fine without the 6.
Old 12-05-2012, 02:09 PM

Thanks for the replies!
I plan to absolutely always use both at the same time.
It's highly unlikely I'll look to gig with only one.
And I forgot to mention, I already have 1 DLPro15A and intend to buy a 2nd to complete the stack.

I was planning to sell the 2x12 cab but I also have an Aggie 750 and it sounds like I'll blow them apart if I decide to use it.

Last edited by Frankiebass59 : 12-05-2012 at 02:29 PM.
Old 12-05-2012, 02:15 PM

Only other thing I'd check is eminences cab design pdf's and see how high that second impedance spike is in the ported designs. Some tube amps don't get along very well with really high spike there, others handle it fine....don't know about yours. Maybe something to ask the builder. A 100 watt B15 must be a real treat to play.
Old 12-05-2012, 02:32 PM

Btw I chose the Kappa over the Delta because it has less of that strong upper mid spike and is a bit more efficient. Next speaker for this cab will likely be a 4 ohm Faital 15PR400 for a 4ohm tube head
Old 12-05-2012, 02:40 PM

I have to say, it's all I expected it to be, thanks.
Cliff, my builder, did an awesome job.
Original thread pix:

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 12-05-2012, 02:44 PM

What you have there on that 50 watt setting is one helluva nce guitar amp as well.

Very nice.
Old 12-05-2012, 02:49 PM

Thanks Will, now if only I could play......
Old 12-06-2012, 09:45 AM

So sealed or ported?
Old 12-06-2012, 09:59 AM

The DeltaPro's EBP is low enough it can work as an either/or type driver, so you have some flexibility there. I'd model it both ways and see what you like best. Could also consider a port plug type system. Could seal them off when playing boomier type rooms, or open them for some more "oomph" for say an outdoor gig or something.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:10 AM

That DeltaPro is a nice looking driver, especially for tube amps. It'd be a good choice if you were starting fresh, and seeing as you already have one, I'd mos' def' get another. That will make a pretty serious rig.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:40 AM

Will, thanks so much for your input! I really appreciate your help.
Any thought's on them being a single solution? Hoping I won't need the 12's anymore.
Even with my 750.....
Old 12-06-2012, 11:11 AM

Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups

Supporting Member
Cool amp!
Ampeg Portaflex Club #1
Quote:
Originally Posted by beans-on-toast View Post
Tweeters are for the birds.
Old 12-06-2012, 11:15 AM

Thanks Jimmy! You should hear the thing......I'm one lucky guy.
Old 12-06-2012, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankiebass59 View Post
Will, thanks so much for your input! I really appreciate your help.
Any thought's on them being a single solution? Hoping I won't need the 12's anymore.
Even with my 750.....
Are you asking me out?

FWIW, I like girls, but I already have one that's more than I can handle sometimes, there's no way I could juggle 2.

Psst......that "single solution" link takes you to a dating site.

The Xmax on the DeltaPro is just "ok", nothing special. That's a non-issue with your tube amp. Where it is really robust is in it's xlim and thermal handling. That is such that with a pair, you are pretty much free to run your tube amp to 11 all night without blowing speakers.

The pair would handle the output of your 750, but may get pretty distorted sounding with that amp up loud.

The upshot is they are very sensitive, so you don't have to run the amp very high to get very loud.
Old 12-06-2012, 12:13 PM

Also note, just eye-balling eminences cab design stuff, the lowend on the DeltaPro's will probably be rolling off by 70hz or so. So, more of a sealed cab type controlled lowend anyway and not the big, deep subwoofy stuff of more modern designs. If you have an Aggie 412 or something, it will probably sound deeper than the DeltaPro's, though probably not any louder anywhere but in the very bottom end.

The higher lowend rolloff will also suit your 100watter quite well. Slot itself in the mix, with good punch and definition, and no sloppy bottom washing out the kick drum or fighting with subwoofers. The DeltaPro gives up some deep bottom in order to play just plain loud in the rest of it's bandwidth, which is a good thing for the smaller tube amps.
Old 12-06-2012, 01:54 PM

Whoa, I'm a mrried man!
What would my wife say?

Wow, sorry about that, not spamming for sure.

In response, thanks again. It sounds like everything I'm looking for so I think I'm going to pull the trigger.
Also, I didn't mention I'm using a micro-Thumpinator so they'll never see anything significant below 35hz no matter which amp I use.
This could be cool.....

Last edited by Frankiebass59 : 12-06-2012 at 02:00 PM.