Register Rules/FAQ/CUP Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Supporting Membership
Thank You

Latest Supporting Member
Donate to Upgrade Today

Old 01-02-2014, 10:55 AM

Supporting Member
headphone type practice setup

I'm just returning to the bass community and have a question. I was wondering if there is a device that is simple without the negative aspects of horrible tone and buzzing, for practicing with headphones using the computer with some of the awesome youtube videos if have just come across. I was looking at the apogee but I believe that I must run that with garage band hence not being able to practice with youtube, also any recommendations for headphones capable of a bass signal. was looking at the PJ bass buddy also but was hoping for a simpler way not necessarily more cost effective just simple with excellent tone
Old 01-02-2014, 11:11 AM

This works very well for me, and has plenty of volume.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/deta...FepQOgod8lkAPw
Old 01-02-2014, 11:22 AM

Supporting Member
ART Audio inc. Well made inexpensive headphone amps and other routing solutions. Owned by Yorkville in Canada, not hard to find.
Old 01-02-2014, 11:37 AM
I endorsed a check once...

GOLD Supporting Member
Welcome (back).

Both those questions (headphone amp, headphones) are asked frequently.
The same answers come up every time...

Please use the Search. You'll find lots of good recommendations and _why_ they are recommended.

The Amplug doesn't work for me for a variety of reasons - mostly - it doesn't fit well into one of my basses.

I use this: http://www.guitarworksinc.net/STORE/...productid=1423

$22 ready to go.

"The Best" includes the WalterWoods and the 3Leaf Enabler. Bring money. Lots in between.

Headphones: Sony, Beyer, Grado, Sennheiser. I like the Grado SR-80 as a good value and reproduce a full bass range including my low-B through but the $22 amp and my recording interface.
Club Hartke - #337 | Steinberger Synapse Clubb - #8 | Fretless - #886 | Darkglass - #77
This old man, he plays 6...
Old 01-02-2014, 11:52 AM
Junkyard Scout

Send a message via MSN to garmenteros Send a message via Yahoo to garmenteros
GOLD Supporting Member
Get a budget interface (I like the focusrite saffire 6) and use any of a number of standalone vst plugins. I like ampeg svx and audiffex GK Amplification Pro 2. Ampeg SVX has a built in metronome and tuner which is a huge plus for me, but is a bigger strain on your computers CPU if thats an issue for you. Both sound equally awesome though, and quite different at that.

Ibanez Lawsuits, Framus, ErnieballMusicman, Custom Builds.
Old 01-02-2014, 11:53 AM

Supporting Member
I have the Korg Pandora PX5D, but with my ipod there is some hum that I believe is cross over from the Phone.

http://www.korg.com/px5d

I use head phone in the out put and the ipod into the aux.
Use the tuner.
Add a little compression.
Kick on the metronome,
Or Play to a track.

There is a new version, the Pandora Mini:

http://www.korg.com/pandoramini

This is the route I would go today. No need fro 1/8 to 1/4 adapters.

Dimitrius

Leo Fender Music Man club #51
Stingray #262
Old 01-02-2014, 11:57 AM

Send a message via AIM to Art Araya
Supporting Member
Used the AmPlug when traveling the last few years and it worked well. Audio quality is not great but it is more than adequate for practice purposes.

I recently got an iPhone so I'm using an Apogee JAM interface and the sound quality is GREAT. All of the music related tools that are available as well make this my new travel solution.

CLUBS: Modulus #97/Gallien Krueger #957
Old 01-02-2014, 12:17 PM
A mind is a terrible thing.

Supporting Member
I messed around with a dinky plug-in headphone preamp and it was really really (really super omgosh) bad. So this is what I use right now after dealing with this issue for a while (I live in a mid-rise condo and I play LOTS).

Seems overkill but this is the result of much frustration and finally it's solved and I don't have to think about it anymore. It's integrated into my setup and it's also totally removable. Perfect for me.

I guess my point is that IF you care about your tone when you practice, you really need to drive a preamp or a DI designed for bass. THEN take that signal to mix with your play-along source and amplify it for your headphones. That's what the BassBuddy does but it's boutique, pricey, and not modular.

In my case I am monitoring the post-eq return from my LMIII, or, if I am without my amp I can monitor directly off the pedal board. In either case I am monitoring my processed signal just in front of the power amp section.

I know this is probably over-implemented for the OP's situation but it's food for thought.

I use Audio Technica M50s right now and they are great, if not TOTL. My headphones live a hard life.
Old 01-02-2014, 12:31 PM
I endorsed a check once...

GOLD Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by aphexafx View Post
...IF you care about your tone when you practice, you really need to drive a preamp or a DI designed for bass.
Agree - especially if you're playing around with using effects as you practice. I like the cheap headphone amp when I'm just working on 'bass stuff' - possibly trying to play along with a pre-recorded track - but mostly basic technique and intonation.

For anything else more real, such as working with the effects, I use the DI from the last pedal in the chain (B7K) and into the recording interface (Scarlett 2i2). This isn't very expensive and uses USB for power but doesn't -need- a computer if you're just using the hardware internal monitor.

You do need the DI, but nowadays, you probably need a DI anyway...
Club Hartke - #337 | Steinberger Synapse Clubb - #8 | Fretless - #886 | Darkglass - #77
This old man, he plays 6...
Old 01-02-2014, 12:48 PM

I use a ZOOM B3
A Fender Precision Bassman Since 1972: Official Fender Precision Bass Club #1115; Fender Jazz Bass Club #1211, Fender Rumble Club #58, ZOOM Owners Club #154
Old 01-02-2014, 12:49 PM

GOLD Supporting Member
A simple micro mixer will do what you need for a few tens of dollars. All have headphone sockets. Bass to one channel computer audio, MP3 player, iPod to a stereo channel.

Grumpy Old Fart #3
Old 01-02-2014, 01:13 PM

Supporting Member
Thank you all, you guys are great for responding so quickly. I guess I should put up and become a subscriber. I will prob pick up the PJ bass buddy maybe get lucky and find a used one, then on to the search for headphones. On my way to the subscriber dept.. Thanks again for the warm homecoming welcome.