while playing with the V1 preamp tube to change the sound of my V-4B I was wondering what the function of the rest of the tubes in the preamp is and how it would affect the overall sound of the amp to change some of them too.
I have little knowledge about tubes and did some google research, but couldn't find what I was hoping for. Maybe my educated fellow TB'ers can help me out here.
This is what is in my V-4B right now:
- Power section: 4 x 7027 TubeAmpDoctor
- Preamp V1: Jan Philips 5751
- Preamp V2: Ruby Tubes 12AX7A
- Preamp Driver: National Electrics 12DW7 (still original?)
- Preamp Phase Inverter: unknown 12AU7
- Preamp .???.: Magnavox 6K11/6Q11 (still original?)
I'm looking for a creamy, punchy, round and almost clean sound. Overdrive/distortion should be not more than low. I changed the V1 before to have a later breakup and a cleaner sound. Would a change in the driver, phase inverter and compactron positions get me nearer to my desired sound? If so, what tubes would you recommend for these postions? Should I change driver and compactron nonetheless because they're probably around 40 years old? Oh yeah, please keep recommendations for tubes below $30-40 per tube