Latest Supporting Member
Donate to Upgrade Today

Closed Thread

Old 11-17-2012, 10:44 AM
There are some who call me.......Sactobass

Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreken View Post
Thank you for your understanding and compassion! I'll have the "beverages" cooled and ready.

But, I have news for you. Great news!! After re-rereading several reviews and threads on the Monique, I decided to go with the Rack Mount preamp only. That way, I can use it with some of the gear I already own. I have both a GK MB800 and a 2001RB, and I have a feeling the Monique is going to slam pretty hard through those.

It's bought and paid for, and now, the waiting...
Congratulations on your purchase, Kreken!

I went with the rackmount Monique as well (preamp only). I just received it last week, and it only took four days from the time I ordered it on Jule's website until the time I received it. I was surprised to receive it so quickly. I guess Jule had a batch of them already made and just waiting for orders. I'm only about a three hour drive from Jule, so shipping was quick. Of course, I would imagine shipping to Norway will take a bit longer, but it's well worth the wait.

I cracked open Monique the other day (six small screws to remove the top......nice design.....super easy), and I was very impressed with the quality of construction inside the unit. Jule obviously knows what he is doing!

Interestingly, I haven't yet had the opportunity to play through Monique yet. I had to order some speaker cables for my new rig, and I just received them yesterday. So I plan to hook it all up today and hear Monique for the first time!

I will post up with my "tone report" after I do that. It's only Saturday morning here in California, so I have all day to play!

Last edited by SactoBass : 11-17-2012 at 10:48 AM.
Old 11-17-2012, 10:54 AM

Endorsing Artist: Sandberg basses, Darkglass pedals

Quote:
Originally Posted by SactoBass View Post
Congratulations on your purchase, Kreken!

I went with the rackmount Monique as well (preamp only). I just received it last week, and it only took four days from the time I ordered it on Jule's website until the time I received it. I was surprised to receive it so quickly. I guess Jule had a batch of them already made and just waiting for orders. I'm only about a three hour drive from Jule, so shipping was quick. Of course, I would imagine shipping to Norway will take a bit longer, but it's well worth the wait.

I cracked open Monique the other day (six small screws to remove the top......nice design.....super easy), and I was very impressed with the quality of construction inside the unit. Jule obviously knows what he is doing!

Interestingly, I haven't yet had the opportunity to play through Monique yet. I had to order some speaker cables for my new rig, and I just received them yesterday. So I plan to hook it all up today and hear Monique for the first time!

I will post up with my "tone report" after I do that. It's only Saturday morning here in California, so I have all day to play!
Thank you very much!! Shipping is approx 2-3 business days, and that ain't bad! Just waiting for that message from Jule where he tells me it's shipped!

I'm really interested in your tone report! You've owned some very impressive heads in the past, and it'll be cool to hear how Monique compares to them.

Enjoy!!
Old 11-17-2012, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liam_g

Yeah but you're an external fan. I'm asking about internal fans.

Liam
LOL
Old 11-17-2012, 12:14 PM

Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreken View Post
You've owned some very impressive heads in the past
LOL! It's almost embarrassing how much gear I have bought and sold over the years. Out of all of that, the best sounding head IMO was the US made Ampeg SVT-VR. Fantastic tone! But that 85 pound amp just got too darn heavy for my 56 year old body to schlepp. The Crest CA9 power amp I now have weighs 47 pounds, and even though that's still kinda heavy, it feels like a feather compared to the SVT. I will be running Monique into the CA9 into a stacked pair of Genz Benz Uber 212 cabs.
Old 11-17-2012, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SactoBass

LOL! It's almost embarrassing how much gear I have bought and sold over the years. Out of all of that, the best sounding head IMO was the US made Ampeg SVT-VR. Fantastic tone! But that 85 pound amp just got too darn heavy for my 56 year old body to schlepp. The Crest CA9 power amp I now have weighs 47 pounds, and even though that's still kinda heavy, it feels like a feather compared to the SVT. I will be running Monique into the CA9 into a stacked pair of Genz Benz Uber 212 cabs.
Then we will hear it without you posting samples!
Old 11-17-2012, 05:59 PM

Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by liam_g View Post
Will there be a fan added to the Demeter / Monique (DeMonique)? Or does the poweramp run cool enough with passive cooling?

Liam
Sorry to quote myself, but damn, DeMonique? That's catchy!

Liam
Old 11-17-2012, 06:18 PM

Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by liam_g View Post
Sorry to quote myself, but damn, DeMonique? That's catchy!

Liam
+1 !!!
Old 11-17-2012, 09:03 PM

Supporting Member
I finally got all of my rig components upstairs today (cabs, racks, etc.) and I installed the CA9 and Monique in their own separate Pearson 2-space racks. Monique is in command atop the CA9 and Genz Uber 212 cabs!

Tomorrow I plan to fire it up for the first time.

And yeah I know, no pic = no rig. So here's a pic (click it for a larger version):

Last edited by SactoBass : 10-14-2013 at 04:03 PM.
Old 11-17-2012, 10:03 PM
Registered Schmoozer.

Supporting Member
Quote:

And yeah I know, no pic = no rig. So here's a pic...
Brutal.
Old 11-17-2012, 11:07 PM

Supporting Member
Dude, seriously..... How can you have Monique for a week(ish) and not have a mic cable, 1/4" or XLR and a guitar cable or two to try it out immediately?

Just curious as when I got mine.... My first jam included me making a 1/4" to Speakon cable on the spot in 5 min. Just electrical tape and a carpet knife!

Quote:
I finally got all of my rig components upstairs today (cabs, racks, etc.) and I installed the CA9 and Monique in their own separate Pearson 2-space racks. Monique is in command atop the CA9 and Genz Uber 212 cabs!

Old 11-18-2012, 12:04 AM

Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baird6869 View Post
Dude, seriously..... How can you have Monique for a week(ish) and not have a mic cable, 1/4" or XLR and a guitar cable or two to try it out immediately?

Just curious as when I got mine.... My first jam included me making a 1/4" to Speakon cable on the spot in 5 min. Just electrical tape and a carpet knife!
LOL! I have driven people (including wives that became x-wives) crazy with my excessive amount of patience. But to be sure, I am definitely anxious to hear Monique, and in all honesty, it's a bit difficult for me to have to wait until tomorrow, but since I live in a condo complex, I can't fire up the rig this late at night out of respect for my neighbors. Regarding having to wait this past week, the Crest CA9 requires banana connectors for the output, and I didn't receive those speaker cables until yesterday.

Tomorrow will get here soon enough, and it's gonna be a fun day!

Last edited by SactoBass : 11-18-2012 at 12:10 AM.
Old 11-18-2012, 09:22 AM

Quote:

And yeah I know, no pic = no rig. So here's a pic (click it for a larger version):
You'll need the helmet!
Old 11-18-2012, 10:31 AM

Supporting Member
Quote:
the Crest CA9 requires banana connectors for the output, and I didn't receive those speaker cables until yesterday.
Aaahhhhh.... Good point.

Let us know your initial impressions.
Old 11-18-2012, 02:52 PM

Supporting Member
Well, I finally got a chance to fire up Monique today for the first time.

Verrrrrrrry niiiiiiiiice toobalicious tube tone! Warm, powerful, yet articulate. I only played it in my home today by myself, but I have no doubt this tone will cut though the mix in a band setting (which, IMO, is absolutely critical).

And that sensitivity knob is fun to play with! Jule could have just labeled that knob "FUN" and it would have been accurate! Just dial in how much FUN you want!

I only had about an hour to spend with Monique today, but I can tell that there is alot of tonal flexibility.

Being the notorious tube roller that I am, I will probably end up installing some nice NOS tubes just for fun (only because I can't help it......it's a disease I suffer from!)

Jule really has a winner with Monique! I have bought and sold a plethora of bass gear over the past 40 years of playing bass, and I change gear like I change my socks (in my case, BASS seems to stand for Buy And Sell Stuff). But I don't see me letting Monique go anytime in the foreseeable future. Why would I?? There isn't anything to upgrade to at this point! IMO, Monique is the pinnacle of bass preamplification!

Last edited by SactoBass : 11-18-2012 at 03:27 PM.
Old 11-18-2012, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Well, I finally got a chance to fire up Monique today for the first time.

Verrrrrrrry niiiiiiiiice toobalicious tube tone! Warm, powerful, yet articulate. I only played it in my home today by myself, but I have no doubt this tone will cut though the mix in a band setting (which, IMO, is absolutely critical).

And that sensitivity knob is fun to play with! Jule could have just labeled that knob "FUN" and it would have been accurate! Just dial in how much FUN you want!

I only had about an hour to spend with Monique today, but I can tell that there is alot of tonal flexibility.

Being the notorious tube roller that I am, I will probably end up installing some nice NOS tubes just for fun (only because I can't help it......it's a disease I suffer from!)

Jule really has a winner with Monique! I have bought and sold a plethora of bass gear over the past 40 years of playing bass, and I change gear like I change my socks (in my case, BASS seems to stand for Buy And Sell Stuff). But I don't see me letting Monique go anytime in the foreseeable future. Why would I?? There isn't anything to upgrade to at this point! IMO, Monique is the pinnacle of bass preamplification!
Sir?
It is indeed pinnacle.
It helps each of us sound like us.
It's not "sound of the week".
That's the shiz net.
I repeat, it helps each of us sound like us.
Oh, Jule!
Old 11-18-2012, 05:38 PM

Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadds View Post
It helps each of us sound like us.
Well spoken, Sir Chadds!
Old 11-19-2012, 01:28 AM

Send a message via AIM to Fretless5verfan
Supporting Member
Hmm...I wonder what Monique would sound like with a Demeter VT-300....
Old 11-19-2012, 11:43 AM
If it sounds good, it is good

Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine

GOLD Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fretless5verfan View Post
Hmm...I wonder what Monique would sound like with a Demeter VT-300....
I could try that for ya...

Issue #14 now available!

Find us on Facebook. Free apps for iPhone/iPad, Android or Kindle.

2014 NAMM Pics

Old 11-19-2012, 11:45 AM

Send a message via AIM to Fretless5verfan
Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by tombowlus View Post
I could try that for ya...
If you could find the time, I'd appreciate it
Old 11-19-2012, 11:52 AM
If it sounds good, it is good

Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine

GOLD Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fretless5verfan View Post
If you could find the time, I'd appreciate it
My 300M is in Dayton right now, but I'll try and get it back fairly soon.

In the meantime, I can try it with one of my other tube power amps and report back.

Issue #14 now available!

Find us on Facebook. Free apps for iPhone/iPad, Android or Kindle.

2014 NAMM Pics

Closed Thread