Hey guys. About a month ago a was skimming through the craigslist adds and came across a bare Peavey cab. Picked it up over an hour away in -10 degree weather, but it was worth it.
Here she sits before I start the sanding.
I used a 3M rough sander attached to a drill. Worked really well to get off all the old dried glue and tolex thread.
After the sanding!
After I used the drill, and after these pictures, I hand sanded it with a 3M rough block. Followed up with a 3M fine block.
Read some reviews and testimonials about duratex from fellow TBers. So I decided to try it out. It is incredibly easy to apply. And it looks and feels fantastic!! Give it an A+. Only thing I would suggest is using wood filler or your preferred product to fill in nail holes, chips, ect... I read somewhere that duratex fills small imperfections. Well it does not. Haha. I am not mad. Gotta learn somehow. But next time I will for sure fill every imperfection no matter the size.
Here is the cab after a couple of coats of duratex!
Decided to get new hardware for the cab. Got handles, casters, corners, feet, and jack plate all from parts-express.
Heres the old Handles:
And the new handles:
New Jack Plate:
(I had to cut the Handle holes and caster holes a little bigger for the new ones to fit.)
She's starting to come together!!!
Put some foam in. Pulled it out of some hartke 410's i scraped for this project.
Speaking of the hartke 410s. I took all 8 speakers from 2 410s for this cab. I like the sound of the aluminum drivers and wanted an 810 instead of 2 410s. They are 8 ohm speakers rated at 100 watts. So i wired them as a mix between parallel and series to get a final ohm of 4. (I use an ampeg pf500 head) Here is me wiring them:
and here is the diagram that i used made from another TBer.
Got her all wired up and tested her out before bolting in the speakers. Everything worked perfectly!
Got the speakers bolted on and sat her upright!
Played my ibanez though her for almost an hour. It sounded good. And I'm happy that the cab kinda matches the head now. Haha.
I have the original metal grill cover that I installed after the pictures. She looks really good. Ill get a picture of that later put up.
She's heavy, but I'm young. Lol. I am very happy with final product of the restoration.
Specifics: 4 Ohms & 800 watts.
Thanks for checking out my thread! Let me know what you think or ask any questions that you have!