Peavey TNT160..Need Help
Hello. I recently purchased a Peavey TNT160, knowing it had problems. It was only $150., so I went for it.
I've cleaned the scratchy pots, from front to back. Both, the preamp and main volumes are still occasionally making unwanted noise. It's like some electricity is stuck in that part of the amp. Then, the compressor shuts the amp's volume off. It doesn't help that the house has always had an over/under current, which shuts the breaker down when you, for example..run the sweeper with all the lights on. Anyway...I most always have to start it up a couple times..but it does work.
I'm confused, because I've played through it for hours at a time, numerous times, without any problems(after a couple starts). Should I just go with it, or..will this lead to more electrical problems? The thing sounds amazing, and I'd like to keep it healthy.
I also use a couple surge protectors, btw.
If You really don't want to toss it, reflow every solder joint there is.
Also, make sure the DDT (I assume) works like it should.
Thank you. Not sure what reflow means. I'll look it up. I don't know how to check the ddt, either.
I've owned a couple other amps that did the exact same thing(Fender BXR300c, Peavey TMax, PeaveyTKO80), same electrical outlet. I'll try another outlet sometime today. I sure hope it's just the wall.
TBird..thanks again. You got me thinking.
It's just the power switch. My friend had a TKO that wouldn't work right unless you pushed the button in kinda hard. In fact..he had to tape his in the "on" position. Same deal with mine, but no tape up needed..yet.
I was bummed out about it, too. I had a whole conspiracy going on in my head about what could possibly be wrong. Thank goodness it aint the darn preamp pots.
Reflow means that You melt every soldered connection again, preferably with some additional good quality solder, it sounds like a classic cold solder joint problem.
Often associated with bath soldering components with varying thickness leads/legs.
If You don't want to do 'em all, start with the thickest legs, that's where the problem most likely lies.
It only takes quite a bit of Your time, so DIY is the only way, absolutely no point in
The DDT was (still is?) the protecting compressor Peavey uses, if it malfunctions as it IME pretty often did, it tends to cause all sorts of problems.
Back in the day when I still bothered with Peavey gear, we used simple "malfunctions" to simulate the circuits behaviour to find out whether it worked or not. If my failing memory doesn't trick me too much, the DDT circuit was pretty easy to defeat in CS series, but near impossible in some newer offerings from Peavey.
There's an (un)official Peavey rep on TB, he usually helps people who are in trouble wth their gear.
If only that kind of service and dedication to CS in general was available over here back in the day, Peavey might be considered to be better than Behringer.
Edit:Good to hear You figured it out while I was typing. Do replace the switch though, should be easy enough to find.
|All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:10 PM.|
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.12
Copyright ©2000 - 2013, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.