Register Rules/FAQ/CUP Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Supporting Membership
Thank You

Latest Supporting Member
Donate to Upgrade Today

Old 11-13-2012, 12:26 PM

Supporting Member
TC Electronic or Genz Benz

I'm a newbie bass player and have been practicing fairly regularly since June. I have the bass I want and now I have enough money saved up for an amp. The 2 that sparked my interest are the TC Electonic RH450/RH750 or the Genz Benz Streamliner 900.

The only problem is there is no place for me to test these amps. I've only been reading about them since no music store in my area don't have either on display. I like the way the sound on YouTube but I know that isn't a good way to hear the amp at work. Any suggestion on which two is a best bet or rather give me your opinion of either to help me decide?

Thanks in advance.
Stringray club #398, Fender Jazz Club #365, Cort GB5, Sandberg VM-5, TCE RH750, RS-212
Old 11-13-2012, 12:28 PM

Supporting Member
Genz Benz hands down.

What cabs are you planning on pairing your new amp with?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawai-chang View Post
Yesterday my purple starfish was hurty.
Old 11-13-2012, 12:31 PM

Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by CL400Peavey View Post
Genz Benz hands down.

What cabs are you planning on pairing your new amp with?
Either the Markbass 2x10 cabs or the TC Electronic RS210.

Question - What makes Genz Benz better? Well, your opinion. I'm only asking because I can't test them so I'd like your take on what you like about the Genz Benz.

Thanks
Stringray club #398, Fender Jazz Club #365, Cort GB5, Sandberg VM-5, TCE RH750, RS-212
Old 11-13-2012, 01:16 PM

Supporting Member
I own an STL900, and use my guitar player's RH450 at rehearsals. Very different sounding heads. I'll speak in very broad terms here; The STL900 sounds like a really good tube mic pre paired to a large power amp. The RH450 sounds like a ton of DSP. They're both great heads, and despite the massive difference in power (900 watts versus 236 watts, or whatever the RH450 ended up being), they're both comparably loud when going through the 410, or 15/6 that I have on-hand to use.

If you need a head that sounds great without a ton of bells and whistles, get the STL900. If you need/want a ton of features in a single micro, go with the RH450. To my ears the tone of the RH450 is a compromise when compared to the STL900, but that feature set is absolutely amazing. Tough call.
Old 11-13-2012, 01:29 PM

Supporting Member
I dont prefer the signal processing on the TC amps. The Genz does a much better tube sound. Also Genz has some of the best customer service in the business. The Genz is also almost 4 times as powerful than the TC heads. The genz will have more than enough power to drive two 210's well past their limits, if you are buying new the 600 might be a better option, its still twice as powerful as the TC heads.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawai-chang View Post
Yesterday my purple starfish was hurty.
Old 11-13-2012, 01:30 PM
Hip No Ties

Send a message via ICQ to MysticMichael Send a message via AIM to MysticMichael
Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by aasti3000 View Post
I'm a newbie bass player and have been practicing fairly regularly since June. I have the bass I want and now I have enough money saved up for an amp. The 2 that sparked my interest are the TC Electonic RH450/RH750 or the Genz Benz Streamliner 900.
What persuaded you to narrow your search down to these two particular amps? Especially with so many total options available? Especially since it isn't immediately obvious what these two might have in common - other than both being Class D micro amps?

MM

- William Blake, The Marriage of Heaven and Hell
Old 11-13-2012, 05:01 PM

Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticMichael View Post
What persuaded you to narrow your search down to these two particular amps? Especially with so many total options available? Especially since it isn't immediately obvious what these two might have in common - other than both being Class D micro amps?

MM
Well, I tested all of the amps at guitar center, sam ash, pawn shops, etc. But I noticed a few bass players on TV had amps that aren't on display anywhere so I looked up a few celebrity bass players gear they used and watched demos on YouTube. My father-in-law is a bass player and owns a Genz Benz but he's 3 hours away...can't test it....but he refers it.
Old 11-13-2012, 05:09 PM

I have two Genz amps and the RH750, and I used to have the RH450.

The TC amps sound great and are very loud. They don't sound digital to me.

The Genz amps are equally great.

Use your ears and decide that way
Old 11-13-2012, 05:19 PM

You're basing your selection upon what a local shop has in stock and what you see on TV? You came here not a moment too soon.

What we need to know is what you've been playing through, what style you play, and what you'd like different. Assume you may not get it right the first time so take resale value into account. An Ampeg PF500 amp and a used cab would be a good start, especially since the PF500 is a great spare head should you decide to aim higher.
Old 11-13-2012, 05:21 PM

Supporting Member
Never tried the RH750. I have the STR900 and it is by far one of the best amps I have ever owned. Big full sound plain and simple. Have fun choosing.
Old 11-13-2012, 05:22 PM

Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicman20 View Post

Use your ears and decide that way
Musicman - That's my issue. There is no place around her for me to test it.
Old 11-13-2012, 05:58 PM

Another vote for the tc electronic.
I love my RH450. Don't let the watts full you, it is a loud amp
And it doesn't sound digital, what ever that means, to me either. It sounds warm and punchy
The features are very useful. I used to carry around a pedal board but with the features of the tc head I don't need to.

Last edited by arai : 11-13-2012 at 06:04 PM.
Old 11-13-2012, 06:12 PM

Send a message via AIM to Peepaleep
Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by CL400Peavey View Post
Also Genz has some of the best customer service in the business.
Respectfully, I have to disagree. I called GB with a question about the speakon output. Mine was so tight that I needed a wrench to twist out the cable.

When I asked the person at the other end of the phone what I could do to loosen it up a bit, he said (and I quote) "wow, I really don't know. I've not heard that before." I waited for him to suggest something or to transfer me to someone else, and after a few seconds of silence I said "you've got no suggestion?" and the tech said "no, not really."

That's pretty poor customer service if you ask me, but their products sound so good that I would not hesitate to buy another.
Guild Pilot Bass Club #666; Schroeder #116; LGBT Bass Players #12; Thunderbird #311

"the headstock went for the floor faster than whore's drawers." TBird1958
Old 11-13-2012, 06:30 PM
Hip No Ties

Send a message via ICQ to MysticMichael Send a message via AIM to MysticMichael
Supporting Member
Quote:
Well, I tested all of the amps at guitar center, sam ash, pawn shops, etc. But I noticed a few bass players on TV had amps that aren't on display anywhere so I looked up a few celebrity bass players gear they used and watched demos on YouTube. My father-in-law is a bass player and owns a Genz Benz but he's 3 hours away...can't test it....but he refers it.
Well IMO, what you've done thus far is a good start. It shows a certain thoroughness & methodology in its own way, and that's useful. But unless you've already identified the specific applications you have in mind for a new amp, and have already matched up those requirements with the specific feature sets of these two particular amps, then you'd be selling yourself short by failing to expand your research and conduct your due diligence more widely. Fortunately, you've come to the right place to do that.

Both Genz Benz & TC Electronic are fine brands. But unless you have much better insight into your own playing needs than you've revealed in this thread thus far, you'd be doing no better than shooting in the dark to buy either one of them at this point, without doing more work first.

I suggest you get a lot more introspective about your amplification needs. Make a list of functions, features & attributes you'd find specifically useful to you - and the reasons why.

Spend some time lurking on the amp threads - if you haven't done so already - in order to pick up more information based on other players' experiences. Use the search function liberally in order to find deeper information on particular amps you find of interest.

Once you've reached this point, your questions are likely to be much better informed, and hence, more specific and targeted; likely to produce much better results. By that point, you may be in a position to make your best possible choice.

It's time-consuming, and can be somewhat labor-intensive. But it's the best, most thorough approach.

Or you can just make a "Hail Mary" pass, and hope for the best.

MM

- William Blake, The Marriage of Heaven and Hell

Last edited by MysticMichael : 11-13-2012 at 06:33 PM.
Old 11-13-2012, 07:00 PM
Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz

Supporting Member
That wasn't me, but we really haven't had any issues with the Speak-On's other than the occassional counterfit cable connector that is such a poor copy that it doesn't really fit nor does the release tab work properly. This is not something I would have thought of either until I had somebody send an amp in with this problem. In this case, the guts of the counterfit plug disembowled inside the amp's mating socket and the socket had to be desoldered from the amp and cut apart to get free of the chassis. There is a first for everything unfortunately.

You need to remember that we are all human, we do not always have the immediate answer to every question and sometimes, some of the questions we get are puzzling to say the least. Like the guy who called because his cabinet was making noise. I asked him what amp it was plugged into, and he said it wasn't plugged into anything, just sitting in his garage. I really couldn't come up with a good next step for him to try, I asked him for the serial number and when he tilted the cabinet forward to read it off the plate, mice ran out of the port. I never in a million years have gone down questioning leading to that diagnosis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peepaleep View Post
Respectfully, I have to disagree. I called GB with a question about the speakon output. Mine was so tight that I needed a wrench to twist out the cable.

When I asked the person at the other end of the phone what I could do to loosen it up a bit, he said (and I quote) "wow, I really don't know. I've not heard that before." I waited for him to suggest something or to transfer me to someone else, and after a few seconds of silence I said "you've got no suggestion?" and the tech said "no, not really."

That's pretty poor customer service if you ask me, but their products sound so good that I would not hesitate to buy another.

Continuing Product Support: Genz Benz
Old 11-13-2012, 07:17 PM

Supporting Member
The fact that someone with Genz Benz is reading and responding here is what I call customer service. I have yet to see a company hit 100% satisfaction with support issues. But, I have noticed replies on more than one thread by their reps as well as positive feedback in general. Love my little Shuttle 3.0 10" combo. Good luck!

The mouse story is awesome!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by agedhorse View Post
That wasn't me, but we really haven't had any issues with the Speak-On's other than the occassional counterfit cable connector that is such a poor copy that it doesn't really fit nor does the release tab work properly. This is not something I would have thought of either until I had somebody send an amp in with this problem. In this case, the guts of the counterfit plug disembowled inside the amp's mating socket and the socket had to be desoldered from the amp and cut apart to get free of the chassis. There is a first for everything unfortunately.

You need to remember that we are all human, we do not always have the immediate answer to every question and sometimes, some of the questions we get are puzzling to say the least. Like the guy who called because his cabinet was making noise. I asked him what amp it was plugged into, and he said it wasn't plugged into anything, just sitting in his garage. I really couldn't come up with a good next step for him to try, I asked him for the serial number and when he tilted the cabinet forward to read it off the plate, mice ran out of the port. I never in a million years have gone down questioning leading to that diagnosis.
Old 11-13-2012, 07:53 PM
Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz

Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiacomo View Post
The mouse story is awesome!!!
Actually, it was pretty gross. He had to clean up the mess using some rubber gloves. Mouse nests are nasty.

Continuing Product Support: Genz Benz
Old 11-13-2012, 07:57 PM

Quote:

The only problem is there is no place for me to test these amps. I've only been reading about them since no music store in my area don't have either on display. I like the way the sound on YouTube but I know that isn't a good way to hear the amp at work. Any suggestion on which two is a best bet or rather give me your opinion of either to help me decide?

Thanks in advance.
What are you playing through now? People who like the TC sound really like it, but it's heavily processed, and likely to sound different from what you are currently using. Not to say it sounds electronic-ified. It's supposed to mimic a driven tube amp, so it has limiting and multiband compression (which kinda sorta acts like EQ) that are not entirely bypassable and you may or may not find to be your cup of meat*.

*[You'll not see nothing like the mighty Quinn]
Old 11-13-2012, 09:31 PM

[quote=Peepaleep;13447453]Respectfully, I have to disagree. I called GB with a question about the speakon output. Mine was so tight that I needed a wrench to twist out the cable.

That's pretty poor customer service if you ask me, but their products sound so good that I would not hesitate to buy another.[/QUOTE

Wow I really don't know, never heard this before ever on a Genz Benz product. Ridiculous comment, you work for TC? This is the only time ever heard this for GB on this forum
Old 11-13-2012, 10:17 PM

Supporting Member
If it was a toss up tone wise, I'd go with Genz. 3 yr transferable warranty vs 1 year non trans for TC I believe. The Genz guys are always on her supporting their stuff.