What would you do? One more V4 question.
OK so I am going to start a new thread because I'm short on time and I would really like some bass player input.
Short as possible.
1) Recently got a V4 (sounds amazing!)
2) It's wider than all my speaker cabs and that bugs me.
3) Local guy has one of these, (see pic) and it's wide enough, but I don't know if it's a good fit power/tone wise. It's the PR410hlf. It's built like a tank and takes a gagillian watts (4 gagillian peak). The V4 puts out a very strong 100W. But if that PR410 is power hungry, will it eat the V4 for lunch?
Thank you for your patience and support.
I've got a PR410hlf and it is a monster sounding cab. The troubles I find with it are:
1. It is VERY heavy. Make sure you're willing to deal with that or you'll be cursing yourself for not debating how much fun 126 lbs is to move around.
2. It's very large. I can fit many 410s in the trunk of my car, this one won't go. It is also a lot of trouble to get into the back seat. Very deep. But that's why it sounds so huge.
3. IMO the more power you throw at this cab the better. I'm currently using an SVT3Pro with it and found that 450 watts is pretty good, but, recently had the opportunity to try an SVT4Pro and the higher wattage made the cab sing.
The last thing (and this isn't a detriment, but considering you've got an old school tube amp...) the PR410 is a very modern sounding cab. In fact, I'd go so far as to say it's almost not an "Ampeg sound" in any way. The lows are prominent and the highs are clear and present.
In the end, if you can deal with the first two things up top, then plug your amp in and see what you think of the sound. It is a GREAT sounding cab.
Do you like the sound of your cabs?
I used a piece of birch plywood with edge veneer tape to mount my old VB on top of a smaller cabinet
Thanks. Maybe I'll try to hold out for something else. I just can't stand the look of a rig when the head is wider than the cab. I know it's a stupid issue but I just can't get around it.
Screw it. The guy doesn't live too far away and it turns out we know some of the same people. I'm going to go give it a good run through Wednesday and see what happens. We're both gear heads so I'm going to load my Tahoe down with most of my junk and we are going to compare and contrast a bunch of stuff. If the cab does match up with the V4 well I'll give it a go with the Walkabout and Shuttle 6.0 as well. One way or the other I will know for sure if it's something I want to lug around on occasion when I want to give the 15" Walkabout stack a day off.
|All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:59 AM.|
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.12
Copyright ©2000 - 2013, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.