Go Back   TalkBass Forums > Bass Guitar Forums > Sponsored Forums > Roscoe Basses
Register Rules/FAQ/CUP Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Roscoe Basses Anything and everything you ever wanted to know and were afraid to ask about Roscoe basses, including "in progress" pics of basses!!!

Supporting Membership
Thank You

Latest Supporting Member
Donate to Upgrade Today

Old 12-02-2012, 01:35 PM

Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveC
I want something nice and full for church and suitable for fill in work in multiple genes.
CB's and ash. My Century with CB's/ash is the fullest sounding of my three.
Old 12-02-2012, 02:34 PM

Send a message via MSN to Jeff Moote
Supporting Member
That's more than a few votes for CBs/ash. It's hard to go wrong with that...
Old 12-03-2012, 05:59 AM

I LOVED my ASH / CB 5er at church.. I cant say LOVED enough.. had to move it for financial reasons. To me this combo is full with a touch of edginess to cut through. On a regular Sunday I fight for space with acoustic drums, acoustic guitar, electric guitar, 3 vocals, keys , whistles / harmonica .. We play a majority of originals with a sprinkle of mainstream contemporary tunes.. The bass held its own...

As said.. i think you know what you want and now have recommendations...now pull the trigger.

Christian P&W #404
Old 12-03-2012, 07:32 AM

Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by LightGroove View Post
I LOVED my ASH / CB 5er at church.. I cant say LOVED enough.. had to move it for financial reasons. To me this combo is full with a touch of edginess to cut through. On a regular Sunday I fight for space with acoustic drums, acoustic guitar, electric guitar, 3 vocals, keys , whistles / harmonica .. We play a majority of originals with a sprinkle of mainstream contemporary tunes.. The bass held its own...

As said.. i think you know what you want and now have recommendations...now pull the trigger.
I wish I was as confident as you are in what I think I want.

Our church situations are similar - 2 keyboards, a couple guitars, electric drums, vocals and myself.

There seems to be a growing consensus of my Koa top, ash body, BEM board, CB's with black hardware.
Old 12-03-2012, 07:36 AM

General Manager, Roscoe Guitars

Send a message via AIM to Gard
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveC View Post
There seems to be a growing consensus of my Koa top, ash body, BEM board, CB's with black hardware.
Boom.

When do you put the order in?

Old 12-03-2012, 07:48 AM

Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gard View Post
Boom.

When do you put the order in?

Could be any time now...

Robin's ring should be done this week so hopefully after I pick that up/pay for it it'll be time to order a bass.

The only other cog in the wheel is the nice Century Standard Plus 5 Bubinga/BEM that Greg has at his place right now. Basically the bass I'd order but with the bubinga top instead of that Koa top...and no waiting.
Old 12-03-2012, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Could be any time now...

Robin's ring should be done this week so hopefully after I pick that up/pay for it it'll be time to order a bass.

The only other cog in the wheel is the nice Century Standard Plus 5 Bubinga/BEM that Greg has at his place right now. Basically the bass I'd order but with the bubinga top instead of that Koa top...and no waiting.
Not a bad alternative, and on the Standard Pluses, it's not as big of an issue tonally to have a different top, frankly - they're not thick enough to affect the tone significantly, IMO.

If you were going ash/maple on the new order, they'd be as close to identical as possible...

Old 12-03-2012, 08:52 AM

Supporting Member
Quote:
Not a bad alternative, and on the Standard Pluses, it's not as big of an issue tonally to have a different top, frankly - they're not thick enough to affect the tone significantly, IMO.

If you were going ash/maple on the new order, they'd be as close to identical as possible...

Yep. I just have to decide if I want the Koa top (basically a one of a kind made by Keith) or the Bubinga - which is also very nice on that bass.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:19 AM

Supporting Member
So, after looking at a lot of pics of various Koa/BEM basses and the Bubinga/BEM that Greg has, my wife has convinced me (wasn't really hard) that I should go Koa/BEM and have the contrast between the fingerboard and body. She's pretty smart.

So, I think we're talking this:

- Century Standard Plus 5
- The - I think - basically one of a kind Koa top pictured in the 1st post of this thread
- ash body
- CB Bart Soaps
- Bart pre
- BEM fingerboard
- black hardware
- gig bag

Sound good? Need to PM Greg and Gard to finalize I guess. Maybe the order will go in this week.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:27 AM

That sounds great Steve..maybe one of the woodmizers can squeeze in a little lam between the top and body to further enhance things... I think you will be pleased either way.

Christian P&W #404
Old 12-03-2012, 10:47 AM

Supporting Member
Steve, you got me excited there for a moment when you said you might just get the bubinga bass. I probably would have had to snag that koa for myself!

But, I think you are making a wise choice. This one will be a keeper.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:51 AM

Supporting Member
I hope so. I'd like a "forever" bass as my wife calls it.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:00 AM

Supporting Member
Quote:
That sounds great Steve..maybe one of the woodmizers can squeeze in a little lam between the top and body to further enhance things... I think you will be pleased either way.
I don't think they do that for Standards. They do put a laminate in the neck now though so that's cool.
Old 12-03-2012, 12:22 PM

Supporting Member
Well, after looking at pics, reviewing what others use, the tone I think I want, I think I've narrowed it down. Different than what I thought initially, but based on the sound I think I want and the experience of others, I think I'm going to go with this:

Model: Century Standard Plus 5 ($2,499)
Body: Swamp Ash w/"My" Koa Top
Finish: Oil
Preamp: Bartolini 3-Band
Pickups: Bartolini CB's
Neck: 3-Piece Maple Neck
Fingerboard: Bird's Eye Maple, Fretted (+$75)
Hardware: Black (+$75)
Case: Roscoe Single Gigbag

$2,649
Old 12-03-2012, 12:42 PM

Quote:
I don't think they do that for Standards. They do put a laminate in the neck now though so that's cool.
Steve I have seen them do this on quite a few Standards...while its not a standard option Ive talked with the builders and Keith has always had a great approach. If something speaks to the builder at that time he goes with it...standard or not.. Now I dont want to speak ahead of things but can say.. I know you will be pleased specing this one out.

Christian P&W #404
Old 12-03-2012, 01:09 PM

Quote:
We will put a contrasting veneer between the top and body woods on a Standard Plus, if it "works". Since the top and back on this one are very contrasting, we'll have to look at it, because a maple veneer will get "lost" in the ash, or a cherry veneer will get "lost" in the koa...hmm...

...that said, you never know what the elven kind hanging out in the wood pile may come up with....

Old 12-03-2012, 02:11 PM

Supporting Member
Quote:
We will put a contrasting veneer between the top and body woods on a Standard Plus, if it "works". Since the top and back on this one are very contrasting, we'll have to look at it, because a maple veneer will get "lost" in the ash, or a cherry veneer will get "lost" in the koa...hmm...

...that said, you never know what the elven kind hanging out in the wood pile may come up with....

This is what I was thinking. Even if they wanted to do it for me (which is awesome) there is already plenty of contrast with the top and body and neck and fingerboard.

Of course, if the little creatures of the wood pile think something will work, I leave it to them. I won't question the people who create these beautiful basses.

The CS6+ that was built for me this summer was an amazing bass. If it were a 5 string we probably wouldn't be talking right now.
Old 12-03-2012, 02:13 PM

Supporting Member
Quote:
Steve I have seen them do this on quite a few Standards...while its not a standard option Ive talked with the builders and Keith has always had a great approach. If something speaks to the builder at that time he goes with it...standard or not.. Now I dont want to speak ahead of things but can say.. I know you will be pleased specing this one out.
If I was going with a mahogany body, then there may be a better opportunity for a contrasting laminate - like maple - between that and the Koa top. The consensus seems to be that ash will give me a more full sound with the CB's. I am still a little iffy on the body. Mahogany seems like it would be a nice choice as well.

Last edited by SteveC : 12-03-2012 at 02:18 PM.
Old 12-03-2012, 02:18 PM

Supporting Member
Quote:
...Keith has always had a great approach. If something speaks to the builder at that time he goes with it...standard or not...
One of the great things about Roscoe.

The quilt maple top on the CS6+ I had was amazing. It wasn't thick enough to be a carved top (darn close I think) but it was much thicker than a normal laminate top. The way those guys work with wood is amazing.
Old 12-04-2012, 06:03 AM

Steve Ill be honest ...I dont think you'll go wrong with either. Its a win win. I personally dont buy the tonewood debate a great deal..while I think it has some effect..I dont think it will be drastic enough to cause a distinct difference in the setting you describe. i think the challenge will be in your satisfaction..if you battle the "what ifs" or "I bets" then youll never be content...thats not a personal knock on you but in general. You'll only play as well as you feel. If the instrument speaks to you whether it be ash or whatever then youll be more inclined to play..if you have that little voice of malcontent then you will never truly know if a bass is the one.

Christian P&W #404

Last edited by LightGroove : 12-06-2012 at 08:41 AM.