Go Back   TalkBass Forums > Bass Guitar Forums > Bass Guitar Forums > Strings [BG]
Register Rules/FAQ/CUP Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Supporting Membership
Thank You

Latest Supporting Member
Donate to Upgrade Today

Old 12-11-2013, 12:18 PM

Hofner string question

I have decided to buy a Hofner Ignition bass. They come with roundwounds, but most people recomment flats for just about any Beatle bass.

I have done some research, and the results are mixed. Many say labella flats, yet others pick a different brand. I know that string choice is a bit subjective, but at the same time I know that many here have experienced, intelligent recommendations.

I play in a church worship band, don't slap, usually thumb or finger pick, and every once in a while use a pick, usually a felt one.

So any help with strings would be appreciated.
Old 12-11-2013, 12:40 PM

I have had alot of Hofner basses vintage and reissues. I love Labellas. I actually just ordered a set for a new bass. I prefer either those or Pyramid Golds. If I had just purchased an ICON, Labella strings is what I would get if you want a high quality string wtih a nice warm tone that fits perfectly on the Hofner basses. You won't regret getting them. Good luck!
Old 12-11-2013, 01:46 PM

Just make sure you get strings with the right length for the Hofner. I like Pyramid golds for Flats - short scale, or Thomastik-infeld Jazz Round wounds short scale for Hofners if you want a great round wound with low tension and warmth and clarity - but they are not everybody's first choice.I happen to really like them.
Hofner branded flats are the same as Pyramid gold flats, by the way.
Some other players like Thomastik-Infeld Jazz flat wounds, short scale. These, too, are excellent for Hofner basses.
Old 12-11-2013, 02:21 PM

Supporting Member
So what do you play on your existing bass? If they are fine, you might keep using the same string type on your Höfner.

In any case, it's probably best to use the factory strings with your band a few times to see if roundwounds on your Höfner are OK (or not) in the mix. You can then decide if you want to upgrade the roundwounds (or not) or change to flats. Changing strings just because some TB wags say that is what they prefer is not a wise reason to change.
Gallien-Krueger Club #735, U.S. Peavey Club #189, Short Scale Bass Club #298, Fender Precision Bass Club #985
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Handsome View Post
Dolphins must think we're complete idiots.
Old 12-13-2013, 02:36 PM

Supporting Member
I just picked up an icon club. It came with flats that have thinned out ends like labella Beatle flats, but the silks are grey, not black like they are on a set of labellas beatles flats I have lying around.

Did the beatles flats used to be grey? And idea what these might be?
Old 12-13-2013, 02:51 PM
Don't push it. Just let it fall.

Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3234718 View Post
I just picked up an icon club. It came with flats that have thinned out ends like labella Beatle flats, but the silks are grey, not black like they are on a set of labellas beatles flats I have lying around.

Did the beatles flats used to be grey? And idea what these might be?
The newer, lighter gauge LaBella Beatle Bass flats (.039 - .096) 760FHB2, have light blue/grey silks at the tuner end, no silks at the ball end.
Old 12-13-2013, 05:45 PM

I have light gauge Daddario XL Med. Scale Chromes. I play it mainly at church finger style. Fits well.
Ohio Club#226 P&W Band Club #1116
Old 12-16-2013, 08:14 AM

Supporting Member
I want higher tension on my icon club.

I have the 50-100 labella flats but they're too loosey goosey for me.

Paul used roto tapes right? Do the medium scale 60-115's fit the bass? I've always heard hofner necks can't stand up to high tension.
Old 12-16-2013, 08:17 AM

Supporting Member
Paul only used the black nylon Rotosounds for the. Let It Be sessions and rooftop thing. Pyramids or other flats from '63 until then. Bass was
Old 12-16-2013, 08:20 AM

Supporting Member
Bass was retired until '88. He was using labella flats for a while, then three years ago, back to Pyramids. That big set you refer to will likely require widening of the nut slots though.
Old 12-16-2013, 08:28 AM

Supporting Member
Makes sense.
Old 12-25-2013, 09:48 AM

Supporting Member
Before I commit to leaving the labella flats on my club for the rest of time, what are my roundwound options?

I need strings with small ball ends, right? And relatively thin ends to fit in the teensy tiny tuners? Anyone know what rounds fit?

I think ti rounds fit and I know Hofner makes a set, but are there any options <$70?
Old 12-25-2013, 10:32 AM

Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups

Supporting Member
I used to use D'addario XL rounds on my Jay Turser violin bass and loved it. With flats it was all McCartney all the time, but with rounds it's a pretty versatile bass. Nowadays I have an old set of D'addario Half Rounds on it that might as well be flats, but I decided that I had enough roundwound basses and could use a couple with flats.

I also have a Realistic violin bass with LaBellas on it, and while I like them, I can't help thinking I'd probably like Chromes more. Unfortunately the E is wedged in there pretty good and I can't get it out, so LaBellas
Ampeg Portaflex Club #1
Quote:
Originally Posted by beans-on-toast View Post
Tweeters are for the birds.