Go Back   TalkBass Forums > Bass Guitar Forums > Bass Guitar Forums > Strings [BG]
Register Rules/FAQ/CUP Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Supporting Membership
Thank You

Latest Supporting Member
Donate to Upgrade Today

Old 11-19-2012, 02:16 AM

Nickel Lo-riders or Sunbeams?

Please help me, haven't tested either of them, but have Fat beams on my Yamaha right now, and they are truly great! I would like to test either nickel loriders or sunbeams, though, any suggestions? : ] looking for a varm, cozy sound that doesn't lack brightness, was thinking about Sadowsky flats for a while but decided to test out some not-flatwound strings first : D
Old 11-19-2012, 03:51 AM

A friend of mine recommend Ernie Ball Cobalt too, any thoughts? : ]
Old 11-19-2012, 04:02 AM

Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levin View Post
A friend of mine recommend Ernie Ball Cobalt too, any thoughts? : ]
Cobalts do not meet your requirements. They are bright, growly and aggressive. Neither warm nor cozy...I use them on my Spectors.
If you're not a part of the groove you're a part of the problem (c) Spector club #278 Spector NS-2
Old 11-19-2012, 04:03 AM

Supporting Member
And cobalts feel quite hursh to your fingers and frets.
If you're not a part of the groove you're a part of the problem (c) Spector club #278 Spector NS-2
Old 11-19-2012, 04:36 AM

Sunbeams are the Nickel plated version of Hi Beams (which are Stainless Steel) Fat Beams are basically Hi Beams but with a special wrapping process as per Marcus Miller's specs. All 3 have a round core. Stainless Steel Low Riders and Nickel Lo Riders have a hex core. They generally have a bit more tension. In my own personal experience, I have found that to be true. I have Nickel LoRiders on my Jazz Bass right now. They mellow out after a while. Highly recommended.
Old 11-19-2012, 05:48 AM

GOLD Supporting Member
I've had multiple sets of Lo Riders on multiple basses and really like their sound, feel, and long life. I'd say they're my favorite strings. I also have a set of Sunbeams on a Warwick FNA Jazzman. They're also very good strings with attributes very similar to the Lo Riders. However, my personal preference is for the higher tension of the Lo Riders.

Yeah, I suck, I know that. But at least I suck a little less than I did yesterday.

Gear list and "club memberships" in profile
Old 11-19-2012, 06:21 AM

I have extensive experience with both.

They are similiar in that they are both warm & midrange focused strings - Lo-Riders being slightly more so.

Lo-Riders are more punchy, while Sunbeams are a bit more warm (to my ears they started to get muddy). What one persons warm is another persons un-defined.

Lo-Riders have more tension, Sunbeams will require an adjustment in set-up / playing if your used to conventional hex core rounds.
Old 11-19-2012, 06:55 AM

Why, thanks for all of your help, much appriciated! : D The sound I'm looking seems to be the nickel lo-riders then, per your definitions. Much obliged! : ] Lo-riders it is.
Old 11-19-2012, 06:57 AM

^ It's a good string. Warm & softer feel of nickel - but still very clear and defined in the mids.
Old 11-19-2012, 12:43 PM

Nice! Another set closer to finding the kind of string I prefer then ; D trying different kinds of strings is so much fun, even more so if you do not do it very often!
Old 11-19-2012, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modern Growl View Post
Lo-Riders are more punchy, while Sunbeams are a bit more warm (to my ears they started to get muddy). What one persons warm is another persons un-defined.
+1. Sunbeams are sweet. But Lo-riders for a band situation....cut through better at least for me on a P bass. They also mellow out nicely.
Old 05-12-2013, 03:41 PM

Have hade nickel lo-riders on a Fender Jazz bass for some time now and I've decided that I would like to try steel and see what comes out! Since I've hade such a blast with DR strings I would like to try either Hi-beams or Fat Beams, have had fat beams on other basses and really loved them! If I choose I think it will be Fat Beams, I have always played the 45-55-80-105 set, anytone tested the 85 one to see the difference?
Old 05-12-2013, 08:03 PM

I have a set of nickel loriders for sale in the classifieds if anyone is interested
Fender Precision Bass Club #858
Black 'n' Maple Club #445
Pennsylvania Bassists Club #107