Originally Posted by ThudThudThud
Yep. Sounds like a twisted string. Do you hand wind the slack around the tuning peg before tightening? Don't do that.
You can hand wind as long as you do it before you seat the ball end and let the whole string go around the peg on each wind. Just don't rotate the string between your fingers.
I like to:
1. seat the ball end in the tailpiece.
2. seat the other end in the peg slot and wind 2 times just to measure.
3. cut where indicated to get 2 or 3 good winds on the peg
4. take the whole string off, reseat the cut end in the tuning post including the coil that was made in step 2, and reseat the ball end in the tailpiece.
5. bring it up to pitch with the tuning key.