This will be my first post on the TB forums and after pondering putting it in the 'Luthier's corner' section, I think this is actually the proper place for it. Hopefully I'm correct in that! Anyway, I have a MIM Fender J bass that I finally decided to do a de-fretting project on (as well as replacing the hardware, electronics, and pickups). I've successfully pulled the frets and filled them with flamed sycamore veneer stips. I also decided to drill the white (abalone?) fret markers out and replace them with 1/4" ebony dowels, but that's besides the point. Since the fretboard is rosewood and my bass is black I wanted to stain the board to make it match somewhat more as I'm going for an all-black look for the bass. I stained the fingerboard with Fieblings black leather dye before putting my veneers in and was thrilled with the product. However, upon putting the veneers in and sanding them down I sanded right through my stain, back to the raw rosewood. This is not the look I wanted. So begrudgingly I taped off my veneers and re-applied the stain. As I was pulling the tape yesterday I was pleasantly shocked at how well my masking job had turned out... until I uncovered the final two veneers. The dye pooled in some chipped areas near the veneers and ended up soaking pretty well into the veneers. Here's a photo of the whole neck:
And a close up of the booboo:
I spoke with my dad and got his input on the problem and here are a few possible solutions we came up with:
1) Trying to find a paint to match the color of the fret veneers and painting it in by hand
2) Trying to have a local artist airbrush a matching paint on
3)Using a Minwax blend/fill colored pencil on the fret veneer
4) Using my fretting saw to saw the problem frets down a bit, then attempting to create a small veneer to glue on top of the old one
I'm not sure how feasible all of these are, especially number 4. If I could find a matching paint and cover it up adequately myself I would be very happy. I like the way the rest of the board looks and it's getting a coat or two of epoxy after this to seal and protect it, but I'd hate to leave a blem on the board that haunts me every time I pick my bass up.