Go Back   TalkBass Forums > Bass Guitar Forums > Bass Guitar Forums > Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]
Register Rules/FAQ/CUP Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Supporting Membership
Thank You

Latest Supporting Member
Donate to Upgrade Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 11-14-2013, 04:41 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Getting Vibration Sounds

Hello, I was wondering if I could get some advice from you guys. I have an Ibanez Soundgear SR405qm 5-string electric bass and lately I've noticed that I get vibration sounds whenever I play a note on my EA and to a lesser extent DG strings. I barely noticed it today and have tried many things to solve it, but I can seem to find any solution. The strings are pretty old, could that be whats causing the problem? Thank you for any all replies!!
  #2  
Old 11-14-2013, 04:49 PM
Grissle's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Supporting Member
Is the vibration coming from the bridge area or headstock?
  #3  
Old 11-14-2013, 05:02 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
It seems to be coming from the bridge.
  #4  
Old 11-14-2013, 05:05 PM
Dave Curran's Avatar
Lilduke
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: NEPA
Supporting Member
loose screw? or pulling out? Are the saddle screws even on each saddle?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadhargis View Post
Different tools for different jobs. If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.
  #5  
Old 11-14-2013, 05:11 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Ireland
As Grissle said - you need to locate the source of the noise.

Is the vibrating sound audible when you kill the volume (play unplugged?)

If you haven't already, examine the headstock, bridge, controls and everything for lose hardware - tuners can work loose over time!

How is the nut cut? if you press gently on the strings as they cross the nut (or zero fret, if there is one) with your finger or a capo does the sound stop or change? If the strings have a lot of room to move in the nut slots it can cause odd noises.

How are you winding the strings around the posts? are they like this (2 or more winds working down the post, not overlapping):


or with very few winds like this?



Or no winds like this - but I don't thing that would work with stock ibanez tuners!

__________________
All you need is ears, protect them!

Official Barefaced Bass Cab Club #14v, Fender Telecaster Bass Club #5 :D
  #6  
Old 11-14-2013, 05:43 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
I checked the bridge and every screw was connected and not loose. and the strings are wound like in the first picture. I also tried holding the headstock and nut for anything that might be loose and everything seemed alright, as well as checking the tuning pegs to see if they are lose. I even held down the Volume and tone nobs and the vibrations were still there D: And this happens when i play unplugged. Could it be something with the truss rod?
  #7  
Old 11-14-2013, 05:50 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Ireland
Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterNight View Post
I checked the bridge and every screw was connected and not loose. and the strings are wound like in the first picture. I also tried holding the headstock and nut for anything that might be loose and everything seemed alright, as well as checking the tuning pegs to see if they are lose. I even held down the Volume and tone nobs and the vibrations were still there D: And this happens when i play unplugged. Could it be something with the truss rod?
If the truss rod is damaged, broken or not engaged - I think it's possible. You could try putting a hex key in the truss rod nut and holding it gently to see if it's vibrating when you pluck the strings.

It's an odd one!

edit: check under your pickups - the springs used by some manufacturers can be noisy - like a trem system. If it's just foam it shouldn't be that.

Also - can you hear the noise when the bass is plugged in - through the amp?
__________________
All you need is ears, protect them!

Official Barefaced Bass Cab Club #14v, Fender Telecaster Bass Club #5 :D
  #8  
Old 11-14-2013, 05:53 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Are the strings wound down the pegs. If they're wound up they can lift off the nut
__________________
Mediocre Bassist#477
  #9  
Old 11-14-2013, 05:54 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Strap locks can buzz if you have them.
__________________
Mediocre Bassist#477
  #10  
Old 11-14-2013, 05:56 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Loose nut on output jack?
__________________
Mediocre Bassist#477
  #11  
Old 11-14-2013, 06:38 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
I checked every single screw and they were all tight. When I play my bass through the amp, its not that noticeable, and it sounds more like a hiss then a vibration. Is that normal?
  #12  
Old 11-14-2013, 06:39 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by gareth dunster View Post
Are the strings wound down the pegs. If they're wound up they can lift off the nut
The strings are in the peg, then spun on the tuner.
  #13  
Old 11-14-2013, 06:44 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlungerModerno View Post
If the truss rod is damaged, broken or not engaged - I think it's possible. You could try putting a hex key in the truss rod nut and holding it gently to see if it's vibrating when you pluck the strings.

It's an odd one!

edit: check under your pickups - the springs used by some manufacturers can be noisy - like a trem system. If it's just foam it shouldn't be that.

Also - can you hear the noise when the bass is plugged in - through the amp?
I inserted the hex key into the truss rod, and could feel it vibrate as the strings were being played. Is that normal?
  #14  
Old 11-14-2013, 07:10 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Ireland
Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterNight View Post
I inserted the hex key into the truss rod, and could feel it vibrate as the strings were being played. Is that normal?
yes - IME. The whole body and neck should vibrate with the string - it's a bass after all. If the vibrating sound isn't affected by the hex key in the truss rod, I'd say it probably isn't the truss rod. As long as the truss rod as a tiny bit of tension on it it should be firmly against the wood - and should be 100% silent. . . as far as I know.

Is it only when you play open notes?

is your action very, very low - and is the neck twisted/backbowed or otherwise problematic? - that could cause strange buzzes and noise.

If the strings are wound on the tuner while prevented from rotating at the bridge it can cause odd sounds in the lower strings - especially those over 100 gauge.

Here's where I learned to test the strings for rotational tension: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLcwYNHDnPY

I'd use this as an excuse to get new strings - if possible.

have a think and try to pluck the strings while listening very closely to the bass - That's how I found the E string rattling in it's nut on my first bass.
__________________
All you need is ears, protect them!

Official Barefaced Bass Cab Club #14v, Fender Telecaster Bass Club #5 :D
  #15  
Old 11-14-2013, 08:28 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlungerModerno View Post
yes - IME. The whole body and neck should vibrate with the string - it's a bass after all. If the vibrating sound isn't affected by the hex key in the truss rod, I'd say it probably isn't the truss rod. As long as the truss rod as a tiny bit of tension on it it should be firmly against the wood - and should be 100% silent. . . as far as I know.

Is it only when you play open notes?

is your action very, very low - and is the neck twisted/backbowed or otherwise problematic? - that could cause strange buzzes and noise.

If the strings are wound on the tuner while prevented from rotating at the bridge it can cause odd sounds in the lower strings - especially those over 100 gauge.

Here's where I learned to test the strings for rotational tension: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLcwYNHDnPY

I'd use this as an excuse to get new strings - if possible.

have a think and try to pluck the strings while listening very closely to the bass - That's how I found the E string rattling in it's nut on my first bass.
I ordered some new strings which should get here in a few days. I only hear the vibration sound when I play a note on the fret board.

The action is actually high, and I have tried raising it and lowering all to no avail.
  #16  
Old 11-15-2013, 06:43 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Ireland
Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterNight View Post
I ordered some new strings which should get here in a few days. I only hear the vibration sound when I play a note on the fret board.

The action is actually high, and I have tried raising it and lowering all to no avail.
Well that pretty much rules out the nut - I'd recheck neck relief, radius and action height, and carefully sight it for any twists - sometimes slight fret buzz can be hard to notice if you play hard and get lots of clank from the frets hitting the strings.

I don't really know about the electronics on the SR405qm, but I'd check the pickups - if they have buzzing springs or rattle when tapped (unplugged) it could be a clue!

while you're at it look at the wood - can you muffle or change the sound by holding certain parts? - has the instrument been dropped, split etc?

The tilt back headstock design solves the nut break angle problem but can be a frail area if not built carefully.

Hope the new strings make the noises go away!
__________________
All you need is ears, protect them!

Official Barefaced Bass Cab Club #14v, Fender Telecaster Bass Club #5 :D
  #17  
Old 11-19-2013, 11:47 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
I think I found the sources of the sounds. I replaced the strings with a fresh pair and while doing so noticed that one of the saddles was leaning a little bit to the left side. I think those two things were causing the problem. I thank you all, and very much appreciate your time and advice.
  #18  
Old 11-20-2013, 04:23 AM
Zooberwerx's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
GOLD Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterNight View Post
I think I found the sources of the sounds. I replaced the strings with a fresh pair and while doing so noticed that one of the saddles was leaning a little bit to the left side. I think those two things were causing the problem. I thank you all, and very much appreciate your time and advice.
Thanks for sharing that. You changed two variables simultaneously (strings and saddle orientation) so either may have been contributory.

Riis
__________________
"...sheer bravado in the absence of any real talent..."
  #19  
Old 12-10-2013, 03:05 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Nebraska USA
I've started having a similar problem lately. Ibanez Gio Soundgear, gsr100mb I think. When I play on the D and G strings, I get a buzz sound. I have tightened down every screw, taped down every wire, and put my hands on everthing to see where it is. Nothing works. So I put my ear on bass and narrowed it down to around the twelfth fret in the neck. It's not the frets buzzing as when that happens it's a totally different sound. Since the OP (correct term, right?) mentioned an Ibanez Soundgear, might this be a problem with the line? Btw, I can not find any info online about the msr100mb, so if someone knows about them, I would like to know.
__________________
I fall asleep to Nightwish, Dragonforce, and Epica... and sometimes with my guitar still in my lap.
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Visit TalkBass on Facebook   Download our iOS app   Download our Android app

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:05 PM.




2012 Talk Music Group Inc. All rights reserved.
Play guitar too? Visit TalkGuitar.com
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.12
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.