Originally Posted by mustBmtd
About to change out! Or wanting to change out the original bridge on my MTD Kingston Z6 to a Hipshot same as or close to ones on USA model MTD Basses. Just wanting tips on lining up, as well as knowing if the new bridge will cover the original top two holes from left to right of the bridge that's in place now. I've noticed a lot of Z6 users have changed out their bridges as well. So before making this move I really wouldn't mind having some insight on this move and replacement. Thanks for any for coming info on this.
Can't tell in advance about the holes, but I've done a couple of bridges. I'm no expert, but what I did was put artist tape around the original bridge and marked the line where the saddles normally reside with the strings I use on that bass when properly intonated before taking strings off etc.
Then I take the strings and old bridge off. I take the new bridge and try to adjust the saddles in the middle of their range at an angle that fits the marked line that was measured before. The idea being you want to have some adjustement to either side of where you are now in case you change to a different gauge string set etc.
Next I put string as in real cotton string not bass strings (in fact I hear that thin string-like elastic works very well) from the headstock throught the nut down through the new bridge for the outside strings that will be near the edges of the neck to see how they line up and find where the bridge is to go side to side.
When all this is done you have a pretty good idea where the new bridge should sit. At this point you start looking at the old and new holes in the bass body. You just mark the new holes that go into solid wood and ignore the old holes covered by the new bridge. If there are old holes outside the new bridge you'll have to glue a dowel in those holes and trim it flat (usually ends up slightly darker than the rest of the body even if of the same wood), And if the new hole almost aligns with an old hole but is slightly off (they are always slightly off!) You have to fill that hole too and then redrill a new hole for the new screw through fix.
And that's about all I do. Worked out really well for me.