Go Back   TalkBass Forums > Bass Guitar Forums > Bass Guitar Forums > Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]
Register Rules/FAQ/CUP Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Supporting Membership
Thank You

Latest Supporting Member
Donate to Upgrade Today

Old 01-01-2014, 01:19 PM

Rickenbacker Neck Grabby & Sticky

I have a Rickenbacker bass that I bought 5 years ago and periodicaly drag out because I love the tone however I get discouraged and quickly place her back under the bed. My issue is the glossy painted back of the neck is "grabby" and makes play very slow and "sticky".
I need advice on how to best smooth, clean and speed up the neck. Should I use steel wool, sandpaper, compound or chemical to take care of my problem.
Thanks for the help.
Old 01-01-2014, 02:07 PM

I've found playing the hell out of mine has made it considerably easier to play.

It could be that my playing has unconsciously adjusted to it, or the use has worn it in, or some combination of the two.
Old 01-01-2014, 02:18 PM

Some players opt for scuffing the surface of the neck with a Scotchbrite pad in order to make it slicker. Haven't tried it myself.
Old 01-01-2014, 03:48 PM

Supporting Member
Please don't take a Scotchbrite pad to the painted surface of your Ric. Use polish or even car wax (not rubbing compound) on it, and as already advised, play it more.

Scotchbrite is swell on a clear poly finished neck (like a lot of Fenders come).
Old 01-01-2014, 04:06 PM

Micro-mesh abrasive pads. I bought a Gibson SG, and the nitro finish on the neck was sticky, due to the previous owner having a body chemistry that dissolves nitro. No amount of cleaning would remove the stickiness. I bought a set of these from Rockler woodworking supply co.
http://www.stewmac.com/shopby/item/3...FTRo7Aod-SIAgQ

I ended up having to use the coarsest grit, and I had to remove a lot of the very thin finish to make the instrument playable. The finest grit will leave a glass-like finish, and I have used these to remove deep scratches from a poly finish, and ended up with a very nice shine. Rinse them in a tub of water as you use them to keep them from loading up. They don't wear out very quickly.
Old 01-01-2014, 04:13 PM

Bass Technician, Club Bass - Toronto

A little talc on the hands is very effective.
Old 01-01-2014, 06:43 PM
Supporting Member

Supporting Member
Try waxing or polishing first before you try something that will damage the finish.
Old 01-01-2014, 08:01 PM

Thanks guys, I just ordered a set of Micro Mesh Pads and while waiting on the order I will buff her down with car wax. Also, since I've never used my Ricki in a gig I have questions about how she works! I understand standard is only ONE p/u while Ric-O-Sound is stereo and only way to get both p/u-s; that sound right? If so, can I use a stereo 1/4" to mon 1/4" cable and get both neck and bridge in play?
Sorry to ask so many DUMB questions but this forum is AWESOME and helpful!
Old 01-02-2014, 09:38 AM

1000 grit, 1500, 2000 then 2500 grit sand paper. Your neck will be super smooth AND not sticky.
Old 01-03-2014, 09:27 AM
Supporting Member

Supporting Member
The new Zymol GBC# polish (a bit pricey) works incredibly well, and stays on the surface for a long while. I would think this will give you what you're looking for on the neck. I know the current issue Bass Gear magazine has an ad with a 25% discount code.
I don't have it with me at the moment.
Old 01-03-2014, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgivens78 View Post
Also, since I've never used my Ricki in a gig I have questions about how she works! I understand standard is only ONE p/u while Ric-O-Sound is stereo and only way to get both p/u-s; that sound right? If so, can I use a stereo 1/4" to mon 1/4" cable and get both neck and bridge in play?
page 5

http://www.rickenbacker.com/pdfs/manual.pdf
Old 01-03-2014, 04:55 PM
A figment of our exaggeration

Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnaround View Post
A little talc on the hands is very effective.
Bingo... my thought exactly. A little Jeff Beck action.
Don't scuff up the back of your Ric with anything!
Old 01-04-2014, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfox14 View Post
Some players opt for scuffing the surface of the neck with a Scotchbrite pad in order to make it slicker. Haven't tried it myself.
If it is a bass you'll be playing lots, this is a MUST Do IMO. I do this to ALL my basses & guitars. Makes them slicker & smoother than an oiled woody!!!
Best to use a green scuff pad. You can get them at the grocery store. In the cleaning section. Just go slowly, till all the shine is gone, and follow up with a quick coat of GUITAR polish.