Go Back   TalkBass Forums > Bass Guitar Forums > Bass Guitar Forums > Live Sound [BG]
Register Rules/FAQ/CUP Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Live Sound [BG] New! All issues related to live sound reinforcement & PA systems

Supporting Membership
Thank You

Latest Supporting Member
Donate to Upgrade Today

Old 01-01-2013, 12:54 PM

Budget powered speakers?

Hey everyone,

Just wondering does anyone have a suggestion(s) for a pair of powered speakers that won't break the bank. They will not be used with a sub so probably I will want at least 12" speakers. Any help is appreciated!
Old 01-01-2013, 01:18 PM

When I set out... I ended up with ev livex for mains

I'm now testing alto for monitors
-------------

Minnesota Classic VW Collector & Peavey USA Custom Shop Freak

Peavey USA Club Member # 122 (X40) Bassists who drive a VW club #? (x20+)
Old 01-01-2013, 01:19 PM

Rcf are what djs use for budget rigs
-------------

Old 01-02-2013, 10:19 AM

Define "breaking the bank".
You can get Mackie Thump TH12As for $300/piece, $220/piece if you buy b-stock.
They're light and they sound good.
Colorado Club #77
Old 01-02-2013, 10:47 AM
The Funkfather

Kohlman Bassworks

Send a message via AIM to DWBass Send a message via Yahoo to DWBass Send a message via Skype™ to DWBass
Supporting Member
Behringer B212D's. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...tive_Loud.html Don't listen to the negative hype. Behringer has made some great PA products of late. I have 2 of the passive versions and have had zero issues. My drummer has 2 of the 15" versions and has had zero issues.

Carvin has some good speakers as well. http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/PM12A
Old 01-02-2013, 11:15 AM

MnAirHead...how are those alto's? I am looking at getting powered monitors so I can carry 2 less power amps in my rack.
Pod Club #19
Short Scale Bass Club #19
Mediocre Bassists #166
Florida Bassists #104
Old 01-02-2013, 11:21 AM

Send a message via AIM to armywalaby Send a message via Yahoo to armywalaby Send a message via Skype™ to armywalaby
The Behringers hold up to the typical Behringer issue where if you're a little rough with it, it probably wont last long. The Alto's are about the same but can take a bit more abuse. If you're rough on your stuff don't go budget; get something out of the QSC K series or some of the new JBL powered stuff. If you're careful and can get some cases the Behringers may last you a while, but I try to steer people towards the Alto's when they come into the store.
Old 01-02-2013, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy mcclure View Post
MnAirHead...how are those alto's? I am looking at getting powered monitors so I can carry 2 less power amps in my rack.
Don't mean to answer for MnAirHead, but I have been using the Alto SXM112as for a few months and love them! They're size is perfect for the small bars I play and they are plenty loud and sound great! The only thing that bothers me about the monitor is that the inputs and controls are on the back which makes it look a little tacky, but for the performance of the monitor at that price point, it is well worth it!

To the OP, I would recommend RCF Art312As. I have been using these as my mains for about a year and I love them. I always get compliments on them as well from musicians, sound men, and audience members.
Gear- MIM Fender P Bass, Squier Vintage Modified 70's Jazz Bass, Fender Bassman 250, Kid Bassist Club #22
Old 01-02-2013, 11:38 AM

Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWBass View Post
Behringer B212D's. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...tive_Loud.html Don't listen to the negative hype. Behringer has made some great PA products of late. I have 2 of the passive versions and have had zero issues. My drummer has 2 of the 15" versions and has had zero issues.
I have 2 of the B212D's with a single B1500D powered sub as my mains (blues/some classic rock, small rooms). Haven't gigged with them much, but so far so good. I do agree with some of the info in the reviews that the 212D stand-alone is a little lacking in low end - but I have the sub so no issue for me.
'12 Am Std Jazz, '93 Carvin BB-75, Squier VM 70's Jazz, Squier CV 50's P, Low Wattage Tubesters #41
Old 01-02-2013, 11:50 AM

Supporting Member
Just picked up some Yorkville NX55P's. Good sound, with surprisingly full bass. Built like tanks, too.
Old 01-02-2013, 11:59 AM
The Funkfather

Kohlman Bassworks

Send a message via AIM to DWBass Send a message via Yahoo to DWBass Send a message via Skype™ to DWBass
Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by armywalaby View Post
The Behringers hold up to the typical Behringer issue where if you're a little rough with it, it probably wont last long.
Typical?? My B212XL's have taken a beating in the year that I've owned them. Nor have the B215XL's my drummer owns. Not a single issue. What do you consider 'rough'?? The band also uses a PMP6000 powered mixer. Have had it 4 years now. Not a single issue. It has also taken a beating! If you mean throw it off the back of a pickup. then yeah, they won't last long. Seems the stigma remains.

Last edited by DWBass : 01-02-2013 at 01:42 PM.
Old 01-02-2013, 12:39 PM

Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hactar View Post
Define "breaking the bank".
You can get Mackie Thump TH12As for $300/piece, $220/piece if you buy b-stock.
They're light and they sound good.
I use Thump 12's as monitor and they seem to be doing well. Not as smooth on top as my K series mains but nothing that can't be eq'd down a touch - and for the dough, they are really good. If you're a rock band running full range, I would do the 15's ... Note, I would not be using mains at this level without a sub if you are mic'ing drums, running keys, bass, etc. K12's I have run kick through and I regualrly run my bass through my K10's in loungy sorts of environments. Louder than that I bring a sub along for the ride.
Old 01-02-2013, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy mcclure
I've not had a major complaint.... Had a sticky fan, they swapped it (at the store)

I use a headphone amp to remote control the levels

I wanted original eon10... They're rare and expensive .... These seemed about as durable
-------------

Old 01-02-2013, 06:24 PM

I thought the Samson auto 12s sounded pretty good for the money
Mediocre Bassist#477
Old 01-02-2013, 08:51 PM
Banned

I watched 2 PMP 2000s commit suicide. Both were brand new. So yeah, the stigma remains.

You wanna waste your money on crap no one is stopping you.
Old 01-03-2013, 05:49 AM
The Funkfather

Kohlman Bassworks

Supporting Member
Did you really???
Old 01-03-2013, 07:13 AM

I've not seen good stuff from them
-------------

Old 01-03-2013, 07:17 AM

Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWBass View Post
Carvin has some good speakers as well. http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/PM12A
I have the PM10A's and they are great. I want to buy a pair of PM12's sometime soon. I can't imagine how you could get more bang for the buck than you do with the Carvin's.
Praise and Worship Club #960 / SPECTOR Club Member #261 / Tricked Out Squire Club #198
Old 01-03-2013, 07:47 AM
The Funkfather

Kohlman Bassworks

Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5StringFool View Post
I have the PM10A's and they are great. I want to buy a pair of PM12's sometime soon. I can't imagine how you could get more bang for the buck than you do with the Carvin's.
I agree. I just bought a pair of LSx12's (discontinued model) from a guy off Craigslist for $200. Damn near brand new. He just wanted to sell off all his equipment. Sounds great and lightweight.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:00 AM

Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5StringFool View Post
Thinking of getting a pair for monitors. What are you using them for?