Originally Posted by robd
another reason to go wireless
( this opinion is from a local amateur and not a fully staffed toruing band's contractual arrangements )
ok, so you get to the gig. You plug in. You look at your monitor-gizmo-wire-ground-fault-warning device.
Your RED-ALERT light is flashing....uh, ohh!!!
You are playing a 3000dollar gig at a party...uh,oh...!!!
you tell the owner that their wiring is faulty and you tell them you are cancelling the gig and losing the 3grand and to shove his gig up his ***...uh,oh...!
you use a wireless --the show goes on.
My point? years ago myself and the one guitarplayer were feeling the buzz at an outdoor gig. Tried every combo of plugs in the place...nope. TEMPorarily put a windscreen on the mics --the show went off without a hitch. FROM THAT DAY ON, I had a wireless. Outdoor/indoor/generatorpower -- no more shock.
I am not saying that is the ultimate solution, naturally proper wiring is the key, but ( as an amateur myself, so IMHO ) - who goes into the bar at the time of booking weeks/months in advance and puts a tester in every plug the band will be using and if there is a problem, they cancel the gig and lose the money??? And lastly and most important, if you do find wiring faults...do you report them to the city building inspector the next business day?