Go Back   TalkBass Forums > Bass Guitar Forums > Bass Guitar Forums > Live Sound [BG]
Register Rules/FAQ/CUP Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Live Sound [BG] New! All issues related to live sound reinforcement & PA systems

Supporting Membership
Thank You

Latest Supporting Member
Donate to Upgrade Today

Old 01-13-2014, 01:51 PM

Help with setting up my studio speakers

Hello everybody,I know this might not be the right section for this but I think this is the most relevant section. I recently got a pair of studio speakers to use with my pc and keyboard as well as my brother's laptop, but I need a few tips on what stuff to buy to have it all set up perfectly. For a mixer, I'm probably going for the behringer xenyx 802, it's good value for money and has enough jack slots for what I need to do. However, I sometimes want to listen through my headphones and not through the speakers, and I know I can do this by attaching my headphones to the slot on the mixer, however sometimes I will also want to only have the audio from my pc coming into my headphones while my brother uses the speakers for his own needs. I've been thinking about how to solve this problem and I want to know if this could be a solution. I attach headphone splitters to my pc's headphone jack so I then have two line out cables, one going into the xenyx 802 and another going into a smaller, mini mixer (something like the behringer mx400). I then attach the headphones out exit of the xenyx into another channel of the mini mixer and finally my headphones to the output of the minimixer, so that I have all the audio from the xenyx in one channel and just the pc audio in another, so I can adjust the levels accordingly for my headphones. Could this work? would the headphone splitters affect the output volume? Any answers would be greatly appreciated
Old 01-13-2014, 03:55 PM

Yeah, just plug active monitors and headphones into a mixer along with everything else and you should be good to go - you may need a box to lift a ground if you get noise from the computer - but that's no biggy.
Fender, Gallien-Krueger, D'Addario, StudioSlips.com, (Grumpy Old Fart #5)

Last edited by Joe Louvar : 01-13-2014 at 04:05 PM.