Go Back   TalkBass Forums > Bass Guitar Forums > Bass Guitar Forums > Live Sound [BG]
Register Rules/FAQ/CUP Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Live Sound [BG] New! All issues related to live sound reinforcement & PA systems

Supporting Membership
Thank You

Latest Supporting Member
Donate to Upgrade Today

Old 01-02-2013, 07:01 PM

Supporting Member
Powered subs-QSC vs EV

Seen lots of stuff about the ksubs and kw. Anybody using the EV zxa1 sub? I'm about to get some k10's and I'm thinking of getting two of the EV's instead of 1 ksub. It would save about $300 in the package deal to get EV's.

The EV's are 46lbs. The ksub is 77. So total weight is more but each of the EV's would be easier to lift in and out of the car. But the ksub has casters. Lifting 50lb buckets in and out of my car is no problem. Lifting the 90lb mackie sub is doable but I have to psych myself up for it and I ain't getting no younger.

I'm planning on using the k10's for solo acoustic stuff and adding the subs for band in small rooms. We don't get super loud.
Old 01-03-2013, 07:51 AM

When I did this homework.....

I chose db technologies subs.... Small modular size lock while in transport

Other options were bulky or expensive... Pay attention to the ins/outs/cabling - makes a difference
-------------

Minnesota Classic VW Collector & Peavey USA Custom Shop Freak

Peavey USA Club Member # 122 (X40) Bassists who drive a VW club #? (x20+)
Old 01-03-2013, 10:27 AM

Supporting Member
We're using db 12's & 15's as monitors now. The 15's do ok. We were using them as mains in our oldies group and they came up short a few times. Now using eon 15's as mains and they work. The db 12's are just barely adequate for monitor. Not real impressed. Also the db's are not easy to find.

What do you like about the ins/outs. How many are you using? Full band in the mains? Room size?
Old 01-03-2013, 11:05 AM

I use 2 if vdrums and all direct....

The ins/outs make it easy to use 1or 2 mains ---- the pass filter is good

I needed something affordable... Lighter... Easy to transport

-----

I've had the db tops - they weren't as good

---

The issue with many subs is the are difficult to transport and use in mid size venues

----
-------------

Old 01-03-2013, 11:07 AM

Price was a factor... I got both barely used for about the price of one new sub... As we all know speaker count and efficiency create spl
-------------

Old 01-03-2013, 05:33 PM

Supporting Member
If going QSC, the KW is the sub to get!

progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated"

Mahatma Ghandi (1869-1948)

Old 01-03-2013, 08:37 PM

Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound

Send a message via AIM to jive1
Supporting Member
I own the EV SB122s, which I believe are the passive version of the ZX1A Subs. I really like them alot, but am planning on upgrading to the K-Subs.

The SB122s have a great sound for a small box. Surprising amounts of low end, and a decent amount of SPLs. But, in the end they don't push as much air as a larger box. However, I highly recommend them for a compact sub for smaller to medium gigs. I've done outdoor gigs with ZX1s as tops, and the sound was great. A really great, clear and warm sound, but in the end, the setup didn't have enough SPLs for larger gigs.

The bands I'm in at the moment
King Comfy

www.bandmix.com/jivejong
Old 01-03-2013, 09:52 PM

Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Ziarko View Post
If going QSC, the KW is the sub to get!
88lbs. I'm sure it sounds great but I'm looking to downsize.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jive1 View Post
I own the EV SB122s, which I believe are the passive version of the ZX1A Subs. I really like them alot, but am planning on upgrading to the K-Subs.

The SB122s have a great sound for a small box. Surprising amounts of low end, and a decent amount of SPLs. But, in the end they don't push as much air as a larger box. However, I highly recommend them for a compact sub for smaller to medium gigs. I've done outdoor gigs with ZX1s as tops, and the sound was great. A really great, clear and warm sound, but in the end, the setup didn't have enough SPLs for larger gigs.
I'd like to believe the 19lb zxa1's would handle 100 people acoustic guitar gigs and with the subs would be adequate for my pop cover band.

Sounds like you're choosing the ksub over the ev's.
Old 01-04-2013, 03:53 AM

Kw181 will be a better option.
Mediocre Bassist#477
Old 01-04-2013, 04:27 AM

I was not a fan of the ksubs when I auditioned them for my PA. I liked the design from a portability stand point, but I didn't think they were very musical. I also thought they didn't seem to really move enough air to be wub-wub subs either. The KW181 is a great sub if you're going to go QSC, but I've been a huge fan of most EV stuff for as long as I can remember.
Aguilar Club Member #125
Warrior Bass Club Member #11
Old 01-04-2013, 12:33 PM

I auditioned the EV and the KSub. I went with the K. Sounded great with the K12s and the size is just amazing.

Nutdog, were going to end up with identical FOH systems by the time we are through.....
Old 01-04-2013, 02:15 PM

Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound

Send a message via AIM to jive1
Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by nutdog View Post
I'd like to believe the 19lb zxa1's would handle 100 people acoustic guitar gigs and with the subs would be adequate for my pop cover band.

Sounds like you're choosing the ksub over the ev's.
It would sound awesome in that kind of situation. I'd like to keep both the SB122s and still get the KSub, but alas......

The bands I'm in at the moment
King Comfy

www.bandmix.com/jivejong
Old 01-04-2013, 02:47 PM

Supporting Member
The KW is 88lbs, but a they're a pretty easy shlep. The casters work great, but if I have one complaint, it's that the handles are vertical when resting on the casters. It makes a two person load very clumsy. Also, they sound fabulous!

progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated"

Mahatma Ghandi (1869-1948)

Old 01-04-2013, 06:37 PM

Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy n. cognito View Post
I auditioned the EV and the KSub. I went with the K. Sounded great with the K12s and the size is just amazing.

Nutdog, were going to end up with identical FOH systems by the time we are through.....
I'm leaning K. Mainly on the warranty. The price is now within $100. But I'm going K10's, just so I can say I'm lazier than you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jive1 View Post
It would sound awesome in that kind of situation. I'd like to keep both the SB122s and still get the KSub, but alas......
The powered version of the SB122 is the SB2A. It has two amps so it can power itself and a top or another sub. The 2A was discontinued but they still sell the 122. For almost as much as a zxa1 sub. The newer model is higher powered. But I have to say I'm a bit skeptical about these power ratings. Are we really supposed to believe they're putting 800 watts into an 8 inch top?

I rarely visit the bay anymore but in my obsessing researching I came across this.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/200871510574...torefresh=true

It's an hour from home so I started watching it thinking I would bid up to $650. As near as I can tell it would have gone for over $2k new. These subs are 35lbs. Then I could have bought your 122's and had 4 12 subs. Now it looks like two dudes are in a bidding war.

I can only assume this means God wants me to get a new K system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Ziarko View Post
The KW is 88lbs, but a they're a pretty easy shlep. The casters work great, but if I have one complaint, it's that the handles are vertical when resting on the casters. It makes a two person load very clumsy. Also, they sound fabulous!
35...46...77...88 I may talk myself into sticking with the eon/mackie. Same weight, no cost.
Old 01-04-2013, 07:29 PM

Supporting Member
What I like about my k10's on K sub setup is that is sounds like a hifi as opposed to PA. The top end is so, so smooth. The crossover between the K10 and the sub is sweet. you don't hear the top or the sub, sounds more like a really good 3-way. The kSub doesn't spec well but IMO it is very musical. What it isn't is a big, overstated chest pounding dubby thing.. The low end is tight and punchy for kick and bass. It also fit's in my Subaru Outback wagon and is an easy 1 person load in/out. Gotta pop it up and get two casters in the car, the slide in... I'm adding a second one in for this summer's outdoor season.

Last edited by 4Mal : 01-04-2013 at 07:32 PM.
Old 01-04-2013, 08:27 PM

Quote:
I'm leaning K. Mainly on the warranty. The price is now within $100. But I'm going K10's, just so I can say I'm lazier than you.
You'll love this: QSC is increasing the warranty to 6 years if you register online and answer a few questions.
Old 01-04-2013, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Mal View Post
What I like about my k10's on K sub setup is that is sounds like a hifi as opposed to PA. The top end is so, so smooth. The crossover between the K10 and the sub is sweet. you don't hear the top or the sub, sounds more like a really good 3-way. The kSub doesn't spec well but IMO it is very musical. What it isn't is a big, overstated chest pounding dubby thing.. The low end is tight and punchy for kick and bass. It also fit's in my Subaru Outback wagon and is an easy 1 person load in/out. Gotta pop it up and get two casters in the car, the slide in... I'm adding a second one in for this summer's outdoor season.

Agreed. I've read so many reports that the K is all thump, but I just spent the last hour playing my bass through my K12/KSub and it sounds great.
Old 03-18-2013, 07:37 PM

Supporting Member
Update: I was on the verge of ordering a ksub/k10 system several times. But we weren't gigging much (we never do this time of year and I always get antsy) and we have an adequate PA. I did pick up a DL1608 and it's working out great. So I just used what we have and it's been fine.

The thing in the back of my head was if I get a PA then I'm going to be the guy that brings the PA. Been there done that. And the main reason we bring a sub is for the kick. Why does the bass player have to buy a sub for the drummer?

So last night out of the blue the drummer tells me he got in the PA business. Bought 2 k12s and the KW181. We break them in Friday night.

So I'm getting a new bass tomorrow instead.
Old 03-18-2013, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Update: I was on the verge of ordering a ksub/k10 system several times. But we weren't gigging much (we never do this time of year and I always get antsy) and we have an adequate PA. I did pick up a DL1608 and it's working out great. So I just used what we have and it's been fine.

The thing in the back of my head was if I get a PA then I'm going to be the guy that brings the PA. Been there done that. And the main reason we bring a sub is for the kick. Why does the bass player have to buy a sub for the drummer?

So last night out of the blue the drummer tells me he got in the PA business. Bought 2 k12s and the KW181. We break them in Friday night.

So I'm getting a new bass tomorrow instead.
Awesome. I'm lucky if my drummer remembers to buy his own sticks.......
Old 03-18-2013, 08:33 PM

Supporting Member
The two gents that "own" my band just bought a mess QSC gear (after 6 months of nagging from me). K12s and 2 ksubs. We compared them to the EV gear, Live X I think. No contest, the K12s with the ksubs are the nuts, amazingly clear with incredible dispersion, The Ksub rocks the bottom end. The Ksub is a 4th order bandpass design, 24 db slopes and it really focuses the bottom end without the need for a low pass crossover. I like the tall skinny footprint for flexibility of placement in small clubs. I am making two road cases that will serve as cases for the K12s and other gear and will be the base for pole-mounting the k12s, so the ksub can go anywhere it fits in our setup.

The guys bought two ksubs and we really only need one for the places we play, so if anyone in the metro DC area needs (kidding...wants!) a Ksub, we are selling it well below retail. Brand new condition. Send me PM if interested. We want to use the proceeds to help purchase the new Mackie/Ipod mixer. We are OLD and need to lighten the load!