Go Back   TalkBass Forums > Bass Guitar Forums > Bass Guitar Forums > Live Sound [BG]
Register Rules/FAQ/CUP Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Live Sound [BG] New! All issues related to live sound reinforcement & PA systems

Supporting Membership
Thank You

Latest Supporting Member
Donate to Upgrade Today

Old 01-13-2013, 08:24 AM

I got backstage at a huge outdoor multi band show 2 years ago called Carolina Rebellion. God Smack, A7F, Seether, etc. Most were using combos or ISO cabs. There were lots of prop wall o' cabs and even a cab with a fake speaker with like a 6 ft diameter speaker.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:07 AM

Like others have said most times it is just for show, they are probably using just one head and depending if DI'ed or Mic'ed one cab if that.
Old 01-17-2013, 01:19 AM

Beta tester for Positive Grid

Send a message via AIM to Rip Topaz
Quote:
Originally Posted by two fingers View Post
This gives me a great idea! I'll just buy the cheapest 8-10 Ampeg cab I can find whether the speakers work or not. Then I'll gut it and mount my rig in it with room to spare to hang my basses in there. I'll build a "head" to keep cords and tuners and junk in. Just roll it in by the wheels and BOOM, there's my "rig" on stage. All the musicians in the room will certainly approve because it's an SVT and a fridge, right? Now...... how to get my Rocsoe Beck Sig V to look like a 4 string Pbass......... hmmmmmmmmm
This is actually a really cool idea.
Old 01-17-2013, 02:19 PM

I knew a guy who played lots of good-sized clubs and he had two stacks of Marshalls but none of those cabinets were plugged in. He plugged in a monitor wedge that he parked in front of himself on the stage. The sound guys loved him because they frequently have to contend with the on-stage sound from guitar players.
Old 01-17-2013, 02:32 PM

Justin Chancellor has 3 GK 2001 heads and 2 mesa cabs. He uses one one head and cab for clean bass. Another head and cab for effects and distortion and the single head goes straight to the pa in case one of the other amps malfunctions.
Old 01-18-2013, 05:09 AM

I would have a wall of 4 or 6 dummy SVT 810 Cabs. A very nice 110 cab with a great driver, and run my SVT CL into it, maybe 1 410 if I have to because of how much power the head has. Put the real cab at the back of the stage firing to the rear so there is no bass coming onto the stage. Run IEMS and have a rack or two of different things for tone shaping. Probably several differnt 31 band eqs for differnt sounds and at least one Sans amp DI and then use Midi to change things around. Probably come up with some kind of pedal chain to kind of invent my own "amp sound". After I figure out all the differnt signal chains and what needs to go into a cab and what can just be DI, run as many channels as I need to FOH. With modern PAs and modern mixers and how cheap its getting, there is no reason to run anything more then say 70 dB from the stage. Let the PA get loud. If you need 105 dB then get that from a really great mix. In all reality you never need to go above 93-95 dB in the venues most of us play. How many of us will really play a stadium show anyway? Not many and if we do its gonna be few and far between. At that point the PA is more then loud enough
Old 01-23-2013, 08:09 PM

To those talking about flea. He actually uses three 115s and three 410s powered by 3 heads on stage. All 6 cabs are live. Watch the rig rundown premier guitar did on his live set up before a show.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:25 PM
There are some who call me.......Sactobass

Supporting Member
<Why do famous bass players use more than one amp on stage?>

Chris Squire runs two amps so he can have one pickup going through one rig (Ampeg SVT), and the other pickup going through the other rig (Marshall Super Bass). Each rig sounds different, and together they provide a massive sound.

He actually has a third rig as well, but that's for his bass pedals.

Last edited by SactoBass : 01-23-2013 at 08:27 PM.
Old 01-24-2013, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strat Hater View Post
. I wonder how much these fakes cost?
Call me cynical, but for the bigger acts the question should probably be, "I wonder how much Marshall pays for that placement?"
Lone Wolf Club #52

Last edited by Chromer : 01-24-2013 at 01:57 PM.
Old 01-28-2013, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromer View Post
Call me cynical, but for the bigger acts the question should probably be, "I wonder how much Marshall pays for that placement?"
Preach.
Old 01-28-2013, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylemcgregor96 View Post
One thing I've noticed than some players like mike dirnt (green day) use 4 8x10 cabinets when playing a live show. It's looks great I've got to admit but they're only micing one of the cabs. It this all just for show?
two phrases: 1-tax deduction. 2-show.
Old 01-28-2013, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoeGJBeener View Post
Last I read Geddy went direct out of a sansamp and used in-ears. No amp on stage at all.
Geddy uses an amp.

This tour it's the Orange AD200B which goes into Palmer Speaker sims.
Previous tours it was a Trace Elliot Quatravalve...

All 'backstage' of course.
Old 01-28-2013, 05:15 PM

Some use a extra amp as a back up amp, in case something goes wrong with the one they use the most. Others use two for a different sound.
Let your emotions play the music, not your brain..
Old 01-28-2013, 06:19 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to SquierJazz72
Quote:
Geddy Lee plays on this. I've seen him use cloths dryers, rotisserie chicken machines and random other stuff as an "amp". They even mic one. His real one is a small in the back.
This is what I was going to bring up too. I remember a Geddy interview where he said since his current setup leaves his stage space largely empty, he finds other, interesting things to fill it up with.
Fender Jazz Bass Club #1021,Blues Bass Players Club #172
Lefties Who Play Righty Club #288