Go Back   TalkBass Forums > Bass Guitar Forums > Bass Guitar Forums > Technique [BG]
Register Rules/FAQ/CUP Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique [BG] Bass guitar technique discussions

Supporting Membership
Thank You

Latest Supporting Member
Donate to Upgrade Today

Old 11-06-2012, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.R. Ogle View Post

Either some people are using a lotta compression, or they've set up their rig specifically to accomodate the spikes, or they've simply got a much better "touch" than I do to balance the techniques.
It's both signal processing and technique, but especially regarding technique, too many think you have to bash and yank the living daylights to slap/pop - you don't.
Old 11-08-2012, 10:10 AM

So far I haven't run into a need to slap. Is it ok to not care? I really don't. Working my tail off with lots of gigs.
Old 11-08-2012, 11:27 AM
Hell is full of musical amateurs. Like me.

Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell L View Post
So far I haven't run into a need to slap. Is it ok to not care? I really don't. Working my tail off with lots of gigs.
If you really didn't care you wouldn't have posted twice about how little you care.
Current Clubs: Fender Precision #994 | Mediocre Bassist #861 | Fender Blacktop #37
Tortloaf - Instrument Construction Myths
Old 11-08-2012, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge View Post
If you really didn't care you wouldn't have posted twice about how little you care.
Yeah, that was definitely pretty lame...
Old 11-08-2012, 07:51 PM

i love bass..slap .. fingers..bow..pick..by any means necessary..no hating...keep practicing...
Old 11-08-2012, 09:23 PM

Endorsing: Copetti Guitars

Supporting Member
I'm still working on slap, been playing bass for 4 years. In the bands I was/am I had to slap a few songs, to me it feels like I can't keep the beat as good as in fingerstyle, but I wish I could slap like Marcus or Victor

I'm watching those Sklarevski vids on youtube that Joe Nerve pointed out, they look and sound good, I might take the bass out of the case for a bit of practice...
Fender P Bass #524|Ampeg #729|Key Players Turned Bassist #19|VTBass #124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petegrinder View Post
...the standard "Precision pickup" (the one that looks like a Tetris block)
Old 11-15-2012, 07:30 PM

Check out the book, Slap it! I found it on the torrents. It has tons of exercises. I've been working on it daily. I think that main thing to realize is it takes time. Lots of time. But this book but taken slowly will lead you in the right direction.
Old 11-16-2012, 06:29 AM
Hell is full of musical amateurs. Like me.

Supporting Member
Or you could, y'know, support the author of slapit! financially.

http://www.slapit.com/orderinfo.html

It is a great book, and well worth the $20. I found it at my local music shop for $20, and I didn't have to pay shipping.

Just saying.
Current Clubs: Fender Precision #994 | Mediocre Bassist #861 | Fender Blacktop #37
Tortloaf - Instrument Construction Myths
Old 11-16-2012, 06:41 AM

Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by theworldismad View Post
You can't Slap and Pop? Good. Its not necessary.

Just like your post...

Just take your time with it and don't tell yourself you can't do it! There are tons of resources and videos that can help you.
Old 11-16-2012, 07:42 AM

Supporting Member
I can't slap either. Actually I can't stand it. There are times I would like to be able to be more accomplished at it, but I am a good bass player. Here are some tips from youtube you might find usefull..
http://youtu.be/4cpKqUfkbPY
Modulus#25 Hondo Cult#12 SWR#1 P-bass#483 5-string#50 Washburn#18 Warmoth#1 Mediocre Bassist#54 Schroeder #70 Krappy Klub#19 Bassstar#1 Old Basstard#58 Peavey USA#155 WI Bass#14 Fretless #749
Old 11-16-2012, 12:38 PM

Supporting Member
I just started teaching myself slap also. I have huge hands and I noticed on my Jazz bass the slap technique just isn't going down on that bass. But my P-bass and Musicman, I sound....uh....well......a little under ok. I just have to do the technique slow but my speed is improving. I guess the string spacing has something to do with it. I'd say keep practicing. Start slow and up the tempo day by day. Well, that's how I'm improving. And I'v only been playing since June.
Stringray club #398, Fender Jazz Club #365, Cort GB5, Sandberg VM-5, TCE RH750, RS-212
Old 11-16-2012, 12:41 PM

the best way to slap, to be honest it to just practice, ive been playing just under a year and ive just learnt to slap and other techniques from playing along to songs i like and now i can play any chili song etc. just choose a slow song (my first song was hit me baby - britney spears...crap, but i had to learn it for a band, and it got me to where i am ) and progress from there
Old 11-16-2012, 12:49 PM

Supporting Member
I don't have the time to read all 8 pages of this thread so excuse me if I hit some redundancy.

I had trouble for years trying the "flea-Larry graham" method o thumb near 12 oclock.

A bright insightful older basist taught me
To slap with my thumb at 4 o clock. This means the natural position my thumb would fall into when it's not anchored on a pickup or thumb rest.
Also, make sure you have a loose wrist- that thumb should be bouncing off the string.

Get your thumb slap down before moving on to popping!
Nukes
Lefties who play Righty Club #100
Official Mesa/Boogie 400,400+ Club #10
Old 11-16-2012, 12:56 PM

Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanmonshall100 View Post
the best way to slap, to be honest it to just practice, ive been playing just under a year and ive just learnt to slap and other techniques from playing along to songs i like and now i can play any chili song etc. just choose a slow song (my first song was hit me baby - britney spears...crap, but i had to learn it for a band, and it got me to where i am ) and progress from there
well said.
Stringray club #398, Fender Jazz Club #365, Cort GB5, Sandberg VM-5, TCE RH750, RS-212
Old 11-16-2012, 01:00 PM

Endorsing Artist: Accuracy, Carvin, Hotwire, Conklin Basses, DNA, Eden

Supporting Member
Quote:
Or you could, y'know, support the author of slapit! financially.

http://www.slapit.com/orderinfo.html

It is a great book, and well worth the $20. I found it at my local music shop for $20, and I didn't have to pay shipping.

Just saying.
Hell to the Yeah! Tony Oppenheim is a great teacher and that's a great book! I've used editions of it with students for nearly 30 years and it's a great resource!
Old 11-16-2012, 01:02 PM

Endorsing Artist: Accuracy, Carvin, Hotwire, Conklin Basses, DNA, Eden

Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by nukes_da_bass View Post
I don't have the time to read all 8 pages of this thread so excuse me if I hit some redundancy.

I had trouble for years trying the "flea-Larry graham" method o thumb near 12 oclock.

A bright insightful older basist taught me
To slap with my thumb at 4 o clock. This means the natural position my thumb would fall into when it's not anchored on a pickup or thumb rest.
Also, make sure you have a loose wrist- that thumb should be bouncing off the string.

Get your thumb slap down before moving on to popping!
Nukes
That's the Brian Bromberg approach. Here's Brian explaining it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrRVLZ-imSA
Old 11-16-2012, 05:01 PM

Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Vogt

That's the Brian Bromberg approach. Here's Brian explaining it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrRVLZ-imSA
Thanks for that link! Brian not only explains it better than I did, but plays a heck of a lot better than I do as well!
Lefties who play Righty Club #100
Official Mesa/Boogie 400,400+ Club #10
Old 11-18-2012, 08:40 AM

The best thing I ever did for my slap technique was switch to lighter strings.
Old 11-19-2012, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Heh, heh, did I? Oh well, for the third time...
Old 11-19-2012, 10:23 AM

Until just recently, I had spent most of my 15+ years as a bass player primarily playing a variety of Yamaha bass guitars, especially a BBN5 and a TRB1005. I was never able to get a really usable slap tone that I was happy with, and presumed it was just a lack of skill on my part. But slapping isn't really a sound that I usually want, so no big deal.

Last month I was trying a new 2012 Fender Jazz bass, and after being thoroughly impressed with the instrument in general (it had probably been a decade or so since I last tried a Fender bass), I tried some slapping. Wow! I got an amazingly good slapping sound out of it, using the exact same "technique" I had used to get a mediocre sound out of the Yamaha instruments.

Of course the opposite might be true for you. But the point is, in this instance, the sound indeed was not all in my hands... using another instrument made a huge difference.