Fingernail in Lieu of Pick - Who's Doing It?
So after 30+ years of playing I've started to experiment with something on tunes that call for pick style. Rather than using a pick I put my thumb and 1st finger together as if I were holding a pick, and hit the string with the top of my fingernail. I only play pick style about 20% of the time so it's not a radical change but so far I'm really liking it.
- Don't have to bring picks with (saves money and hassle)
- Guitarists don't mooch picks off me anymore
- No more dropped picks (this was a HUGE problem for me... for whatever reason I could just never get a good grip on the pick)
- Slightly mellower, more "organic" sound from the fingernail vs. a pick
- Easier to mute strings especially palm muting
- Easier to play with dynamics
- Effortless switching back and forth from "pick" to fingerstyle within the song as required
- I've had to grow my fingernail on the index finger out a little longer than I would prefer for strictly fingerstyle playing. Have had to slightly adjust my fingerstyle technique to accommodate the longer nail
- The fingernail thing really only works on downstrokes. Rapid up/down picking is a problem but I really don't play any material that calls for that.
Wondering if anyone else is doing this and if you have the same impressions?
Last edited by jaywa : 03-18-2013 at 08:23 AM.