Go Back   TalkBass Forums > Bass Guitar Forums > Bass Guitar Forums > Technique [BG]
Register Rules/FAQ/CUP Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique [BG] Bass guitar technique discussions

Supporting Membership
Thank You

Latest Supporting Member
Donate to Upgrade Today

Old 01-12-2013, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phii View Post
Exactly.

Btw, that One-and-AH Two-AND-ah is quite useful~
then its not about sextuplets but quarter triplets
Ampeg Portaflex Club #314
Old 01-12-2013, 02:59 AM

GOLD Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsthumb View Post
Even though there are more formal counting techniques out there, I've always found it easiest to come up with a word (or words) with the same number of syllables as there are sections I want to divide the beat into. Speaking is pretty easy, and it doesn't take a lot of/as much thought for you to pace your words. You've been doing it your whole life. For example, counting triplets I say/play:

daf-oh-dil; daf-oh-dil; daf-oh-dil; daf-oh-dil; (four beats, divided by ';'s)

Now counting sextuplets would be:

daf-oh-dil_el-eph-ant; daf-oh-dil_el-eph-ant; daf-oh-dil_el-eph-ant; daf-oh-dil_el-eph-ant; (four beats, divided by ';'s)

Since the dil and the el sound somewhat alike, it becomes easy enough to run them together and you can get pentuplets pretty much for free by running the words together like so:

daf-oh-del-eph-ant; daf-oh-del-eph-ant; daf-oh-del-eph-ant; daf-oh-del-eph-ant; (four pentuplets)

Also, it helps quite a bit to practice with a metronome, and as soon as you can play sextuplets to the beat, slow it down some, then play a measure of 16th's then a measure of sextuplets, then a meausure of..... mix it up and learn the difference. Go back to straight one, then straight the other, then mix it up again. Your inner Ricky Bobby will want to go fast ASAP, but remember being able to play slow AND smooth is the fastest way to get fast.
+1 The use of phrases that match the breakdown means a player does not get caught up in the double association of counting. As you say it is about matching the syllables to reflect the beat or rhythm used.
Many cultures around the world use this technique in there music, and it is something Western music can benifit from, especially in the development of syncopation in to the music during the 20th Century.

www.fergiefulton.co.uk

https://www.facebook.com/FergieFultonBassplayer?ref=hl
Old 01-12-2013, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phii View Post
I have been playing the bass for only 6 months. Just the last day my teacher gave me an exercise for Sextuplets, means 2/3 notes, or combination of 3 notes that equivalent to 2 quarter notes. I spent all the afternoon with the metronome, but have never figured how to play it.

Is it's just too hard, or I'm too dull
May be its been said but:

What you are describing is a QUATER-NOTE TRIPLET.

Same thing as a 3 against 2.

Best way to play it at first is to play 3 notes during one beat and then cut that beat in 2.
Old 01-17-2013, 06:43 PM

Thanks for the opinions guise!

I've just figured out the quarter note triplets. Just repeatedly practice it with the metronome and the feeling of the triplets just invade in me without notice.

Starts at 72 bpm on the metronome.

First I count the note like this: ”One and AH two AND ah, three and AH four AND ah...” for a while, to mechanically play the triplets. Then, I stop counting and start to feel the triplets, and tried to mix the triplets with quarter notes and eighth notes. After mastering the triplets in 72 bpm, I changed the tempo variously: 80, 100, 120...

Then, I got it!