TalkBass Forums

TalkBass Forums (http://www.talkbass.com/forum/)
-   Technique [BG] (http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f21/)
-   -   Technique for Fast Octaves? (http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f21/technique-fast-octaves-941424/)

rydin4lifebass 12-17-2012 06:41 PM

Technique for Fast Octaves?

I'm working on this song and it's obviously quite simple in nature but the speed on the octaves just isn't my thing. I'm not sure if I should play the note with my index finger and the octaves with my middle finder or rather the note with index and then middle-index (or index then middle) for the octaves. Any thoughts?

TBAR Shane 12-17-2012 07:47 PM

what song are you referring to?

Kmonk 12-17-2012 07:51 PM

I usually play them with my index finger and ring finger. Depending on the song I sometimes play both notes at the same time or pedal back and forth between them.

vin*tone 12-17-2012 07:53 PM

Index & ring. OR thumb and finger.

Clef_de_fa 12-17-2012 08:01 PM

Practice ...

rydin4lifebass 12-17-2012 08:09 PM

Sorry..thought I mentioned the song. It's YMCA by the village people. I started practicing using index-middle-index-index-middle...for note-octave-octave-note-octave. Feels OK, just needs practice obviously but I wasn't sure what everyone else does.

hellofromming 12-17-2012 08:13 PM

Practice slowly first... then gradually increase the speed

It is the only way to tackle any technical difficulty for me

neebs 12-17-2012 08:21 PM

I slap and pop the root and octave.. or I use thumb and middle/index finger.

For me slapand pop.. I have super weak timing.. but it sounds good. I rather use thumb/index if its fast. Sounds cleaner ... but it gives me incentive to practice slap.

PDGood 12-17-2012 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neebs (Post 13592616)
.. or I use thumb and middle/index finger.

+1 for this

johndough247 12-17-2012 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hellofromming (Post 13592581)
Practice slowly first... then gradually increase the speed

It is the only way to tackle any technical difficulty for me

+1

don't "cheat" by slapping it, work your way up to it slowly

CTC564 12-17-2012 08:46 PM

Sub'd

I have NEVER been able to cop that octave "disco" bass line technique

Tupac 12-18-2012 04:40 AM

I found that a metronome is the only way. Also, make SURE that you can play the above octave with your index finger too, most people seem to not to that.

When you get real good, work up to this!

rydin4lifebass 12-18-2012 06:13 AM

Thanks guys. I broke the rhythm down into five notes to practice moving back and forth between strings as noted below:

Root - Index
Octave - Middle
Octave - Index
Root - Index
Octave - Middle

Is that the "pattern" you guys would follow or do you suggest something else? That seems to be the most natural to me but I'm open to suggestions. By the way, the video I watched for this is at THIS LINK . His fingers move too fast so I can't follow what he's using on his right hand.

HolmeBass 12-18-2012 06:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rydin4lifebass
Thanks guys. I broke the rhythm down into five notes to practice moving back and forth between strings as noted below:

Root - Index
Octave - Middle
Octave - Index
Root - Index
Octave - Middle

Is that the "pattern" you guys would follow or do you suggest something else? That seems to be the most natural to me but I'm open to suggestions. By the way, the video I watched for this is at THIS LINK . His fingers move too fast so I can't follow what he's using on his right hand.

I think the gut in that video was actually doing this:
Root - index
Octave - index
Octave - middle
Root - index
Octave - index

I think slapping it would be cheating, too, wouldn't get the same tone. But if your thumb is good you could play the bottoms of the octaves with your thumb and the fast upper notes index-middle. Otherwise your proposed pattern is fine if you can get it working.

I would probably do it the way you have suggested as well because my thumb isn't that good. It would be tough for me, I may have to work on it just for that reason!

rydin4lifebass 12-18-2012 08:35 AM

Thanks..I suppose not everyone will play it the same way, nor do they have to. My main question was if my "pattern" was OK or if another way might be better for one reason or another.

hellofromming 12-18-2012 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rydin4lifebass
Thanks..I suppose not everyone will play it the same way, nor do they have to. My main question was if my "pattern" was OK or if another way might be better for one reason or another.

Of course it is ok as well as it suits you

I am doing air bass right now... And I would play the same way as you've mentioned

Lulz 12-19-2012 10:59 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V92FnT_qrkM < Here's a good way of doing the octaves, and the cover is FAR superior, technique wise, sound wise, every which way wise to the video you linked.

lucam 12-19-2012 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johndough247

+1

don't "cheat" by slapping it, work your way up to it slowly

That's the biggest truth! Just practice regularly and give yourself some time :-)

Tupac 12-19-2012 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lulz (Post 13599843)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V92FnT_qrkM < Here's a good way of doing the octaves, and the cover is FAR superior, technique wise, sound wise, every which way wise to the video you linked.

Blocked in the US on copyright grounds.

rydin4lifebass 12-19-2012 08:10 PM

Wish I could see the video..I thought the one I posted was impressive, so I'm interested in seeing a better version. Right now I have the chorus on loop at 75% speed and am working on nailing it before I go any faster. My index and middle finger get crossed up and the fingers on my left hand have trouble during the transitions but that comes with practice I suppose. I'm going to work on isolating the parts of the song and working on them at a slower speed and then building up the whole song. Thanks for the advice and talk everyone!