Go Back   TalkBass Forums > Bass Guitar Forums > Bass Guitar Forums > Technique [BG]
Register Rules/FAQ/CUP Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique [BG] Bass guitar technique discussions

Supporting Membership
Thank You

Latest Supporting Member
Donate to Upgrade Today

Old 12-20-2012, 02:02 AM

Don't play along with the song yet, just use a metronome for now. And if you're still struggling with the motions, you need to slow down even more. For things that really crossed up my fingers, I would even forgo the metronome until getting the movement down. Go REALLY slow, as slow as you have to in order to mentally force your fingers to make the motions they need to make. Don't worry about time until you can get the motion down, then start working on timing and building up the speed.

You're on the right track as far as breaking into small pieces and working on those.
Carvin Club #278 Icon 5 string + bx500 + brx10.2
S.A.S.S. #120 HH3 + MWBDP + BEFP

Last edited by gdavis : 12-20-2012 at 02:07 AM.
Old 12-20-2012, 06:11 AM

I'll give it a shot with the metronome. What would the "count" be when using the metronome?
Old 12-20-2012, 06:35 AM

Try a pick? Seriously once you learn to string skip well with a pick you can play lines like that ALL day.
Old 12-20-2012, 06:40 AM

Pick

EDIT: ^^^ GAH! you beat me!
Ibanez club #618 SR club #26 Broke Bassists club #5 & #6 Lone Wolf Club #56
Old 12-20-2012, 06:45 AM

Hell Yeah!- Never touched a pick the first 19 years I played bass, once I did it opened up so much for me. Still I play fingers on all my bands funkier songs, but for straight up rock like Cult, etc. I am NEVER going back to fingers. Pick is so even and fat on this stuff.
Old 12-20-2012, 06:50 AM

Another variant would be: index..pinkie...index..pinkie.. repeat.
There is a lot of strength in your pinkie; especially when alternating beween the index finger and pinkie.

This would also be the "proper" string bass technique as well.

Can be used all over the neck and better used in lower registers, unless you use a short scale instrument.

My 2 cents...
Old 12-20-2012, 10:37 AM

Supporting Member
Well, by now you may have gotten all possible variations for this. In the grand schema of things, I believe you would like this exercise to enable further playing beyond just this tune.

While anything is possible using fingers, picks and your nose if you want, a good technique would require great agility, clean playing, all with the minimum amount of movement possible, so you do not hurt your hand stretching it too much, and also to enable you to play even faster than the recording, if in the future you need to do so.

Looking at the distance between a note and its octave (distance between 2 strings as far your plucking hand is concerned), the best possible combination would be your thumb and your index/mid finger. If you get this going, developing this will also open the possibility for you to do some "galloping" on the octave note with your index/mid/ring, and your thumb as a pick if you want to repeat some notes.

With this, you can not only do octaves but 9/10/11/13 intervals very easy.

I hope it helps,
Warr Guitar #1 | FBass BNF6 & Thor | Fretless #811
Old 12-20-2012, 11:42 AM

Yes, all info is very helpful. Even if one way doesn't work for me, I like to explore the possibility and it helps to reinforce what does work for me. thewildest - you're exactly right on your first point. I do want to learn this song but am hoping that it helps develop my playing speed and accuracy in general, for any song.
Old 12-20-2012, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rydin4lifebass View Post
I'll give it a shot with the metronome. What would the "count" be when using the metronome?
1 and uh 2 and 3 and uh 4 and

Depending on your level, you can put the metronome clicks on the 1, 2, 3, 4 or on the 1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and, or even 1 ee and uh 2 ee and uh... if you really want to break it down.
Carvin Club #278 Icon 5 string + bx500 + brx10.2
S.A.S.S. #120 HH3 + MWBDP + BEFP

Last edited by gdavis : 12-20-2012 at 08:20 PM.
Old 12-20-2012, 08:26 PM

Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupac View Post
Blocked in the US on copyright grounds.
That guy has lots of great vids and is not blocked in Canada apparently Here is another great bass line with octaves (Rod Stewart) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdWSPklK7y8
'69 Jazz;'71 P w/flats,Aguilar DB359, Aguilar GS112/GS112NT / G-K MB Fusion & MB200; Canadian Club #223
Old 12-20-2012, 09:02 PM

I'd try it as index, ring, middle. Using the index on the root and also the octave is a lot of wasted motion. Just start slow and I bet you will get it in less that 10 minutes. I've never done this technique before and that's about how long it took me. But thanks for this post! It's something I prolly needed to learn.

Last edited by Spin Doctor : 12-20-2012 at 09:04 PM.
Old 12-21-2012, 06:05 AM

The Rod Stewart song does have a great bass line...those octaves make it for me...
Old 12-21-2012, 08:23 AM

If you google "YMCA bassline", there is a kid on YouTube that does a nice job of it. He's got about 200,000 hits so I guess people seem to like it lol...

and yeah, I was diggin the Rod Stewart bassline also. I can't do it with the thumb like that guy does, though... But he's solid as a rock with it.
Old 12-21-2012, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spin Doctor
If you google "YMCA bassline", there is a kid on YouTube that does a nice job of it. He's got about 200,000 hits so I guess people seem to like it lol...

and yeah, I was diggin the Rod Stewart bassline also. I can't do it with the thumb like that guy does, though... But he's solid as a rock with it.
The first one that comes up is the same as what I posted earlier...unless you're getting different results somehow.
Old 12-21-2012, 05:12 PM

Send a message via AIM to Clark Dark
Pork (Alphonso Carey) played it with thumb index middle.

Last edited by Clark Dark : 12-31-2012 at 09:44 AM.
Old 12-21-2012, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rydin4lifebass View Post
The first one that comes up is the same as what I posted earlier...unless you're getting different results somehow.
Yeah, that's it. I didn't see your link. I'd still do it index, ring then middle. Or thumb, middle then index. Whatever method allows you to play one note per finger. Economy of motion and efficiency will always make you play faster and cleaner. I don't see using the index twice per riff as being efficient at all, but that's just me.
Old 12-27-2012, 05:47 PM

Supporting Member
After practicing repetitive octaves the last few days ( Do Ya Think I'm Sexy and Monarchy of Roses) I'll vote for the index/forefinger method. It would take a lot of practice for me to use the thumb as I have never used it for anything bass wise. Perhaps having spent lots of time with Rocco Prestia's VHS tape and book has sent me down this road too. I'm always in awe of the players that just seem to touch the strings and get staccato like sound especially with octaves. What's the trick? Perhaps this is just fodder for another thread.
'69 Jazz;'71 P w/flats,Aguilar DB359, Aguilar GS112/GS112NT / G-K MB Fusion & MB200; Canadian Club #223
Old 12-27-2012, 05:59 PM

Brubaker Guitars

Supporting Member
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellofromming View Post
Practice slowly first... then gradually increase the speed

It is the only way to tackle any technical difficulty for me
Same here. It's the same method Mr Myagi used in the Karate Kid and it works... and just like in the movie, it doesn't appear to make sense at first.

Work on playing cleanly and evenly. Just keep at it. Don't rush and before you know it you'll probably surprise yourself with your progress.

I use index and middle, thumb and middle, index and ring... whatever. Once you get comfortable you should be able to switch around without much if any sonic difference. Then you can move onto the "Do You Think I'm Sexy" mode where you play the root and double up on the octave. Thumb-middle-index is great for that, you can pretty much go on autopilot once you're used to it.

www.brubakerguitars.com
FS:1980 Carl Thompson fretless 4,

Last edited by Brad Johnson : 12-27-2012 at 06:03 PM.
Old 12-27-2012, 06:02 PM

I think it's been mentioned but personally I use my thumb and both index and middle for that boom-taka boom-taka disco octave thing.
for other kinds of octaves I use different finger &/or thumb combinations depending on what I'm playing.

Last edited by Wookieonbass : 12-27-2012 at 06:08 PM.
Old 12-27-2012, 07:05 PM

I normally use index and pinky for octaves. Judging by what everyone else is saying I guess that is wrong.