Go Back   TalkBass Forums > Bass Guitar Forums > Bass Guitar Forums > General Instruction [BG]
Register Rules/FAQ/CUP Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General Instruction [BG] General questions regarding bass playing, theory, and bass lessons.

Supporting Membership
Thank You

Latest Supporting Member
Donate to Upgrade Today

Old 01-06-2013, 07:59 PM

Creating finger funk bass lines out of funk drum books

I just borrowed from my drummer the book: "Mel Bay's FUNK DRUMMING" and my intention is to use to translate some of the rhythms in the book into a finger funk bass line. I've been working on technique of constantly playing 16th notes muted and adding in notes for emphasis on particular subdivisions, and sense that approach is already based on the idea of drumming I through a drum book could help me create bass lines for it. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with doing this and good give me tips and what not.
Thanks.
Old 01-07-2013, 04:22 AM

GOLD Supporting Member
Think on this, for some reason bass players seen to want and 'even tone and attack' across their playing, they even want the fingers to always strictly alternate to help promote these ideas. But as any drummer knows when playing rudiments it is not always left right left right etc with an even tone and attack.
Take the basics of a paradiddle, it requires the strikes to be;
1211 2122 1211 2122 etc. or RLRR LRLL RLRR LRLL etc. so for a bass player playing with a two finger technique that would have to be (forefinger = F middle finger = M) FMFF MFMM FMFF MFMM etc. or vica versa depending on what hand you are ( but really in complete idea if it, it should not matter how you start if you are looking to be totally in command of a rhythm).

If you have the dexterity, just play alternating fingers and add the ring finger to only play the double notes. The technique of paradiddles is the effect of the double strike, in bass playing when playing across the strings this is a rake of such ( the same finger is used) because it gives a different attack, feel and tone. So again the idea of even tone, attack and strictly alternating need to be looked at from a playing perspective rather than a strict technical one, and work out what blend, if any, is needed to sound funky not military. The idea of military beats are to promote the marching of one two ( left right ).

So look at other rudiments and remember that the rhythms depend as much on the rudiments of what here the strike comes from, left or right, as much as the syncopation of it or grouping of any notes. There is great benifit to learn and practice from drum books, it may not be immediate...but it will happen.

www.fergiefulton.co.uk

https://www.facebook.com/FergieFultonBassplayer?ref=hl

Last edited by Fergie Fulton : 01-07-2013 at 04:28 AM.