Go Back   TalkBass Forums > Bass Guitar Forums > Bass Guitar Forums > Bassists [BG]
Register Rules/FAQ/CUP Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Supporting Membership
Thank You

Latest Supporting Member
Donate to Upgrade Today

Old 11-14-2012, 11:24 AM
Mr. Personality

Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampegfuzz View Post
You just need to horde like me
I'd rather sell gear I don't use and horde vinyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeVictim View Post
I'm glad you buy lots of stuff. Gives me a chance to check out new gear/get reviews, from a guy that I have respect for (and also has similar tonal goals).
Thanks

Put your seatbelt on. You want to end up like Gary Busey?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Now View Post
Excited for that show, we're playing a new song which will probably be the whole set.
Old 11-14-2012, 11:24 AM

cool thread about a great doom bass...

The Peavey T-60 and T-40 story, as told by Chip Todd.

But anyone else think the picture was going to be of a giant dank nug? then scroll down and...basses.

I'm on r/trees too much.
Old 11-14-2012, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc_muench View Post
cool thread about a great doom bass...

The Peavey T-60 and T-40 story, as told by Chip Todd.

But anyone else think the picture was going to be of a giant dank nug? then scroll down and...basses.

I'm on r/trees too much.
Wow. Crop the top part and wa-la. Instant High Times cover.
Mr. Personality

Supporting Member
I saw some pic of a quarter of Denver Purple Diesel with a $20 price tag on it bought from a dispensary on r/trees the other day. Made me angry haha.

Quote:
Excited for that show, we're playing a new song which will probably be the whole set.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toastfuzz View Post
According to the rest of TB, we play too loud, carry around too much equipment, don't use enough Fenders, don't blend enough clean into our fuzz, smoke too many cigarettes, drink too much booze on stage, experiment with too many substances, and probably eat too many cheeseburgers. And we don't shave nearly enough and we date the wrong women.

I think we all also have dayjobs / don't chase pipedreams of rock stardom or scraping by as a member of a cover band. Maybe a few of us do, and I'm sure we'd all love to be in a touring band, but I hear little expectation of rich plunders from our music careers.

And Nick... that Pig looks downright mean
haaaaaaaahahahahaha friggin awesome perfection.
MIM Fender P-bass Club #121 , Acoustic Bass Fetish Club #182
Old 11-14-2012, 11:39 AM

Send a message via AIM to Toastfuzz
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Janitor View Post
Let us/me know how those work out. I have a feeling I'll be killing my 15"s at some point. I try to be careful, but **** happens.
I feel ya... I used to baby my gear alot more but these days I go for dependability / abuseability / crankability. So these drivers will be run through the ringer, especially if I get my Acoustic back up and running. My opinion falls somewhere between jack and sh*t, so our very own Lazarus Bird will get to hear them pump too.
Old 11-14-2012, 11:45 AM
4th degree Slacker

Supporting Member
I must say, I love this thread already! So I'm getting My starter kit in order as We speak. Note pad(check), Smokes, (check), Cheezeburgers(check), Women of questionable stature(cant do that **** anymore, I'm married.. (dangit))

[quote=twhitedc;13450031]

Welcome! There's a lot of bands mentioned on here, check back a few times a day. For the above mentioned reasons this is the best thread on TB. What part of the A are you in? What bands have you done recently. I was living in marietta & sandy springs from 2005 - 2009. Maybe I can put you in touch with a few people....

[quote=twhitedc;13450031]

dear sweet 8lb 6 oz baby jesus, I butchered the crap out-a that quote

Thanks twhitedc, I live in the EAV over behind the EARL and down the street from the 529 club. Which is all of about 5 to 10 minutes away from Little 5 Points, the world famous Claremont Lounge (where strippers go to die) and The Masquerade.
I grew up in the burbs south of the city (Jonesboro, Stockbridge area), but moved down town around three Years ago. The band that I just left, had been together about 2 and a half years, before We parted ways a few weeks ago. It was more of a radio/family friendly hard rock thing that kept trying to inch it's way into southern "redneck" rock at every given chance (much to My displeasure). Their music was fun for me for a while, and got Me playing again, but as I said, I'm ready to get back to something I genuinely enjoy.
Old 11-14-2012, 11:46 AM

Quote:
... My opinion falls somewhere between jack and sh*t, so our very own Lazarus Bird will get to hear them pump too.
Glad an expert will be there.

Did you have one of the shallow Peavey's? I would be curious of the performance in that type of limiting enclosure...
Old 11-14-2012, 11:47 AM
Mr. Personality

Supporting Member
You guys are calling the guy who is afraid to turn knobs and put more than 4 pedals together the expert? Share the grass

Got our first foreign language EP review! Something about people on the other side of the planet listening to your music is just so damn awesome.

http://welcometothevoidgr.blogspot.com/

Quote:
Old 11-14-2012, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMac4strngr View Post
...Thanks twhitedc, I live in the EAV over behind the EARL and down the street from the 529 club. Which is all of about 5 to 10 minutes away from Little 5 Points, the world famous Claremont Lounge (where strippers go to die) and The Masquerade.
I grew up in the burbs south of the city (Jonesboro, Stockbridge area), but moved down town around three Years ago. The band that I just left, had been together about 2 and a half years, before We parted ways a few weeks ago. It was more of a radio/family friendly hard rock thing that kept trying to inch it's way into southern "redneck" rock at every given chance (much to My displeasure). Their music was fun for me for a while, and got Me playing again, but as I said, I'm ready to get back to something I genuinely enjoy.
You might end up wading through the bs on craigslist. Unfortunately, that is almost the only way to hook up with people if you aren't already in the "scene".

Best way to put out a line, Use adjectives like Heavy, Riff oriented, Sabbath, Iommi. Avoid terms like Stoner. Some people are genuinely turned off by that tag. Maybe grab some influences (we can help if you aren't mega familiar with bands) so people aren't totally in the dark because, lots of bands in this genre sound nothing like Sabbath.
Old 11-14-2012, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarus.Bird View Post
You guys are calling the guy who is afraid to turn knobs and put more than 4 pedals together the expert? Share the grass

Got our first foreign language EP review! Something about people on the other side of the planet listening to your music is just so damn awesome.

Is that Azerbaijan?
Old 11-14-2012, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Glad an expert will be there.

Did you have one of the shallow Peavey's? I would be curious of the performance in that type of limiting enclosure...
Not I, I've been searching for a deep one for a long time, only shallow ones come up. If I was a guitarist I'd be rocking a shallow Peavey 2x15 for sure. I do however have a (semi) shallow Peavey 1x15, but I keep the 4 ohm Black Widow in that sucker. Definitely sounds good.
Old 11-14-2012, 11:56 AM
Mr. Personality

Supporting Member
Haha it's Greek.

Quote:
Old 11-14-2012, 12:04 PM
Mr. Personality

Supporting Member
So I just picked this up on vinyl on my lunch break. Listening to it while at work on Spotify and holy crap what an awesome blind purchase this was. J Mascis at his best. It's got an Earthless/Tia Carerra thing going on. Bass is thick and heavy as hell.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZwMj0nS6Ds

Also just preordered Dead Rock Commandos by Nightstalker and the limited edition Dopesmoker from Amazon (preorder because Amazon doesn't get their shipment of these in for another few days). Good day for vinyl

Quote:

Last edited by Lazarus.Bird : 11-14-2012 at 12:06 PM.
Old 11-14-2012, 12:10 PM
4th degree Slacker

Supporting Member
Quote:
You might end up wading through the bs on craigslist. Unfortunately, that is almost the only way to hook up with people if you aren't already in the "scene".

Best way to put out a line, Use adjectives like Heavy, Riff oriented, Sabbath, Iommi. Avoid terms like Stoner. Some people are genuinely turned off by that tag. Maybe grab some influences (we can help if you aren't mega familiar with bands) so people aren't totally in the dark because, lots of bands in this genre sound nothing like Sabbath.
Very cool, Thanks Joe! Yea, Our CL here can be a bit of a turd pond, so keyword screening upfront is a must. IME. So, a good mention of the dont do's is certainly appreciated.
The last thing that I want is a likeness of some of the replies that I got for the last time I posted an ad looking for musos or gigs there. Yes, as funny as it sounds, I dont want to have to tell the "dirty underwear on the drum kit, half-eaten plate of chicken, cat poop smell, basement drummer Guy" story again.
Old 11-14-2012, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarus.Bird View Post

I use the term loosely.
Old 11-14-2012, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Not I, I've been searching for a deep one for a long time, only shallow ones come up. If I was a guitarist I'd be rocking a shallow Peavey 2x15 for sure. I do however have a (semi) shallow Peavey 1x15, but I keep the 4 ohm Black Widow in that sucker. Definitely sounds good.
Would you mind conducting a little experiment with that cab and these new speakers?
Old 11-14-2012, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMac4strngr View Post
Very cool, Thanks Joe! Yea, Our CL here can be a bit of a turd pond, so keyword screening upfront is a must. IME. So, a good mention of the dont do's is certainly appreciated.
The last thing that I want is a likeness of some of the replies that I got for the last time I posted an ad looking for musos or gigs there. Yes, as funny as it sounds, I dont want to have to tell the "dirty underwear on the drum kit, half-eaten plate of chicken, cat poop smell, basement drummer Guy" story again.
Oh man... maybe we want to hear about it.

I think the dude I jammed with awhile ago moved to your town. Plates of food, cups with **** growing out of them, dirty smell, cat feces everywhere. Freaking sucked. That drummer almost made me quit music. After 10 months we had 4 songs. We couldn't play one of those without major screw ups and I was tired of writing the music that no one played. First time I ever felt like a failure at music.

Also, do you know who you are into yet?
Old 11-14-2012, 12:50 PM

Supporting Member
ive only had horrible player stories for finding members, but never crazy **** like that. when we lost our last drummer, first guy we brought out literally couldnt play a beat. and not some crazy beat we asked or anything out of the ordinary, he couldnt play like enter sandman beats. and it was just embarrassing and sad, we ended up just stopping cause the dude was completely lost. i was more pissed at the dude that recommended him lol.
Old 11-14-2012, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Would you mind conducting a little experiment with that cab and these new speakers?
I could, what do you want to know? How it compares to the Black Widow, or just how it performs in the cab?

One thing about that Peavey, and pretty much any clean solid-state head I've ever played, is that I can't get a tone that my ears like just plugging into it... I always run either my VT Bass or Rusty Box as a toneshaper into the amp's pre (so I can EQ on the amp.) You interested in the shaped tone, or the direct-in tone?

edit: also, I'm so so glad I kept the VT and Rusty, almost ditched em both when I started using the Acoustic fulltime. Rusty Box trumps the VT personally but I never know when I'm gonna want "SVT in a small metal box" tone. Those 2 pedals really are awesome. Throw either pedal in front of a clean SS amp for instant SVT grind or instant vintage SS grind.

Last edited by Toastfuzz : 11-14-2012 at 12:55 PM.