Go Back   TalkBass Forums > Bass Guitar Forums > Bass Guitar Forums > Bassists [BG]
Register Rules/FAQ/CUP Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Supporting Membership
Thank You

Latest Supporting Member
Donate to Upgrade Today

Old 11-25-2012, 12:10 AM

Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by mc_muench View Post
A guy on TB has one of these I wonder if theyre his? Theyre awesome anyway.

Had a long practice day today, 3ish -10. Made up for the entire almost 2 weeks, because I was hunting. It was great, We're finally getting our sound down. I'm set, I'm probably lying but I REALLY dont need anything else.

And about Om, like everyone is saying, I'm sure Al can make everything sound as good as it can be, its all comes down to each in house sound guy or his PF500 with "wimpy" cabs. But IMO the visual aspect of this genre is a bigger part than say in, the straight up blues. and nothing Al could ever get will look like those Greens...

He needs to retolex his 810s GREEN! That should do it, lol. But I get it. At some point in one's professional career, I am sure if given the opportunity, it just makes sense to go with a good company that lends needed support and offers a measure of reliability that might not be there with his more exotic Green Machine. I still think a change in his overall tone has to do more to do with the signal chain. That, and I am not sure why he would bother mixing the Ampeg PF gear with the Ampeg CL gear. Seems like a couple of 810s would be easy to rock and come by from venue to venue. But, who knows.. I am not sure what pedals he used to use vs. what he is using now.
Old 11-25-2012, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Bull View Post
He needs to retolex his 810s GREEN! That should do it, lol.
And get a second one it seems...

If any amp/cab company came up to me now and said "we want you to play our stuff, now here is awesomeness." I wouldnt think twice about it, I would do it. Even with how much I love my sound now, I'm sure I could find something that would work in their brand. Call me crazy If it was Ampeg, I think I would try to get four PF 1x15's over an 8x10. Guitars are a different story, dont want to be forced to play one type of bass, even if I only play Rics from here on out.

Last edited by mc_muench : 11-25-2012 at 12:50 AM.
Old 11-25-2012, 01:06 AM

Send a message via AIM to Hutzbordello
got to the show late but saw primate and wow did bill shred. They covered black flag which was amazing in a small club. Goatwhore's bassist was amazing, really fast fingers. High on fire was of course so mind blowingly heavy that my ears are still ringing and im exhausted.

Hof's bassist played a p bass through an svt and maybe a sunn head and cab rig. Also used a wren and cuff pickle pie b which had the heaviest tone ive heard in a while. Also a black forest i think, sparkly box no names or stamping and black.

Also what is it with there always being one guy whos too wasted to handle being at a show much less stand? Same thing happened at om on tuesday. Oh well, this week has been amazing so i shouldnt complain.
The official overdriven, fuzzed out and distorted club #6
Mediocre Bass Player Club- #525
Old 11-25-2012, 01:11 AM

Al could be using ampeg because it is readily available for a backline when he travels. It's nice easy to have a rider w/ a few ampeg cabs and an SVT head (all of which most backline company's have) and only bring a few rics and a few micro bass heads.

For Sale
Gated Fuzz
Old 11-25-2012, 03:35 AM

Send a message via AIM to Sartori
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattosaur View Post
I go back and forth on t-birds. I like the I get out of mine, but that may just be because it's my only bass with roundwound strings on it, so it's extra growly compared to my other too. I'd play it a lot more (maybe even make it my main) if the neckdive wasn't there. I also don't love not being able to play above the 15th fret comfortably, but I don't do that much so it isn't that much of an issue.

But yeah, the neckdive sucks. Even with a suede strap that mostly locks it in place, I still have to fight it quite a bit. My preferred neck position is about 45 degrees, and you just can't get that without holding it up with a T-bird.

That white is great looking though.
I've seen various ways of modifying them to keep them stable, but that's not really what screws things up for me. For some reason I just really don't find their bodies comfortable. I don't know why. I've played a couple and I always end up getting weird hand/forearm cramps on them.

It's too bad, because I love the way they look. And they can certainly sound really good.
Old 11-25-2012, 03:41 AM

Supporting Member
Need some cab suggestions

Within the next few months I'm picking up an Orange ad200.

I've been going back and forth about which cab(s) I should pair the thing up with. As much as I would like one, 8x10 cab is out of the question because I wouldn't be able to get the thing in my car (2011 Ford Fiesta)

So a few cabs that I've been thinking about are the Ampeg 6x10 cab and the Orange 4x10 and possibly 1x15.

What are your thoughts on these cabs and do you have any other suggestions?
Old 11-25-2012, 03:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc_muench View Post
And get a second one it seems...

If any amp/cab company came up to me now and said "we want you to play our stuff, now here is awesomeness." I wouldnt think twice about it, I would do it. Even with how much I love my sound now, I'm sure I could find something that would work in their brand. Call me crazy If it was Ampeg, I think I would try to get four PF 1x15's over an 8x10. Guitars are a different story, dont want to be forced to play one type of bass, even if I only play Rics from here on out.
Well, Al has seemingly used only Rics for quite a long time now. So that's pretty much the same as it has been.
Old 11-25-2012, 03:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-bottom View Post

I've been going back and forth about which cab(s) I should pair the thing up with. As much as I would like one, 8x10 cab is out of the question because I wouldn't be able to get the thing in my car (2011 Ford Fiesta)

So a few cabs that I've been thinking about are the Ampeg 6x10 cab and the Orange 4x10 and possibly 1x15.

I'd get two of the 1x15 cabs.
Old 11-25-2012, 04:07 AM

Supporting Member
Quote:

Depending on your budget, you might want to check out the Berg NV610. Those are supposed to give 810s a run for the money.
Old 11-25-2012, 06:09 AM

Quote:

I will also add make sure you can get a 6X10 in your car. If you have the hatchback it should be no problem, but I can barely (and I mean barely) get my 2X15 (it is a big Peavey 2X15D) through the door of my guitarist's Honda Civic (luckily my GF just got a Volvo wagon). None of the dimensions in and of themselves are too big to get in the car it is just a matter of the door opening and angle of the door making it really tricky.
Old 11-25-2012, 06:40 AM

GOLD Supporting Member
All this commentary on Al's sound with the Ampeg gear sums up my experience listening to and playing Ampeg. All mud, horrible sound live.

Rationalize it all you want. Ampeg has the money to BUY their way onto backlines. I have simply never, ever heard a live performance with an Ampeg backline and thought to myself "wow, I won't to drop a ton of money so I can sound like that."

None of the bass players I know and hang with use Ampeg, come to think of it. I guess back in the day they were the only game in town. But that was a long, long time ago. There's too much really good gear out there nowadays to put up with crappy sound, poor extension, muddiness, beaming and high prices.

End Rant....
Old 11-25-2012, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc_muench

A guy on TB has one of these I wonder if theyre his? Theyre awesome anyway.

Had a long practice day today, 3ish -10. Made up for the entire almost 2 weeks, because I was hunting. It was great, We're finally getting our sound down. I'm set, I'm probably lying but I REALLY dont need anything else.

And about Om, like everyone is saying, I'm sure Al can make everything sound as good as it can be, its all comes down to each in house sound guy or his PF500 with "wimpy" cabs. But IMO the visual aspect of this genre is a bigger part than say in, the straight up blues. and nothing Al could ever get will look like those Greens...
Hey I have a road 215!
NJ Bassists #183, Gordo Club #14, Acoustic Club #378, Club-Verellen #2, Fuzzrocious Club #165
Old 11-25-2012, 07:16 AM

Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by swspiers View Post
All this commentary on Al's sound with the Ampeg gear sums up my experience listening to and playing Ampeg. All mud, horrible sound live.

Rationalize it all you want. Ampeg has the money to BUY their way onto backlines. I have simply never, ever heard a live performance with an Ampeg backline and thought to myself "wow, I won't to drop a ton of money so I can sound like that."

None of the bass players I know and hang with use Ampeg, come to think of it. I guess back in the day they were the only game in town. But that was a long, long time ago. There's too much really good gear out there nowadays to put up with crappy sound, poor extension, muddiness, beaming and high prices.

End Rant....
It was a video of Scott Reeder playing an SVT (II I think) through 2 ampeg 810s with his Ric that got the ball rolling for me. still need one more 810 to finish the quest. having said that the 810E and the SVT CL never sounded that great to me. is there better gear than Ampeg? probably. but my theory is if it's good enough for Reeder it's good enough for me.

here is said clip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=SK_zTEeeIKQ 16:51 is especially awesome.
Youtube Page
Swag n' Vinyl

Last edited by bassboysam : 11-25-2012 at 07:26 AM.
Old 11-25-2012, 07:35 AM

Owner: Dunwich Amps

yea for those who are not familiar with the Matamp story, the Green Matamp stuff is from the 90s mostly well after Mat Mathias was building Matamps. Now Green Amp/Black Amp/White Amp are all the same as Electric Amp. It can be confusing at first but the stuff Sleep and Al used from the 90s was Green Matamp whose partnership didnt last long as Sleep used to duct tape the name badges or remove them. Joel from Electric Amp built Al those other matamp looking units and some of those cabs seen in older OM videos.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/so...mp-eqs-950782/

Quote:
Originally Posted by demon666 View Post
Just call it Slept O))) . Like I slept through bothering to learn any of the songs so I just play one note.
Old 11-25-2012, 08:19 AM

Supporting Member
Those look like SVT 2 non pro's I think all ampeg amps with a master volume sound like garbage. And all the people who think that a CL will sound like a vintage SVT are also bat shiz crazy.
Old 11-25-2012, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sartori View Post
Well, Al has seemingly used only Rics for quite a long time now. So that's pretty much the same as it has been.
I have never seen him play anything else...anyone have pics of him with something else?

Or has anyone seen Om when they used the Green stuff, for comparison?
Old 11-25-2012, 08:23 AM

Supporting Member
I wasn't at any of the Om shows to truly comment on the live sound. But it has seemed to me that on Advaitic songs he is low in the mix and almost sub bassy. "State of non return" is probably the fave song with the majority of us. The bass drives and is more up front.
Maybe he's stepping back and serving the songs more than trying to be the dude that everyone came to see.
Ohio bassist #139
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacojas View Post
ss=milk,.. while tubes=cream, IMHO.
Old 11-25-2012, 08:24 AM

Supporting Member
I have never seen Al live, but I can't think of any live clips that I have seen where I was overly impressed by the tone, Green, Ampeg or other. Also I have never seen him with anything other than a Ric.
Youtube Page
Swag n' Vinyl
Old 11-25-2012, 08:26 AM

Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampegfuzz View Post
Those look like SVT 2 non pro's I think all ampeg amps with a master volume sound like garbage. And all the people who think that a CL will sound like a vintage SVT are also bat shiz crazy.
yeah i've never heard a CL that sounded good. Even turning the volume on full and using the gain as volume, although much better, is still missing the balls of the vintage SVT. there is any ugliness to the vintage SVTs that the CL can't match.
Youtube Page
Swag n' Vinyl
Old 11-25-2012, 08:28 AM
Mr. Personality

Supporting Member
Never heard a CL that sounded good? You guys are off your rockers.

Put your seatbelt on. You want to end up like Gary Busey?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Now View Post
Excited for that show, we're playing a new song which will probably be the whole set.