Go Back   TalkBass Forums > Bass Guitar Forums > Bass Guitar Forums > Bassists [BG]
Register Rules/FAQ/CUP Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Supporting Membership
Thank You

Latest Supporting Member
Donate to Upgrade Today

Old 01-17-2013, 04:32 PM

so if you guys haven't done it before, researching how to redo/replace electronics in a guitar is a super great way of learning basic electronics. i now know what caps on a tone control do and what the differences between pot tapers/values are and i'm better for it!

i miss having some kind of music device at work, i've got a hankering to listen to the new Conan album someone mentioned earlier
Old 01-17-2013, 04:33 PM

Send a message via AIM to Sartori
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeVictim View Post
I agree to a point. I personally love SG guitars. I love LPs too, but not the weight. Something about the Hog/Hog/with the 1/4" maple cap that just sounds so freaking amazing. But damn it if they don't weigh 10lbs.
I like both. I don't mind the weight of LP's. My 4001 weighs about the same.
Old 01-17-2013, 04:34 PM

Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattosaur View Post
That sounds like a party I need to get in on.
More than welcome to join. There is also a gtg in the works over in that sub forum, and I will at the Gigmaster booth Feb 22-23 at the 28th street swap meet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawai-chang View Post
Yesterday my purple starfish was hurty.
Old 01-17-2013, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampegfuzz View Post
Jason newsted solo project

http://www.noisecreep.com/2013/01/15...ierhead-video/

Thoughts?

I dont think the song is bad but in the video jason is kind of a dork.
That breakdown at 1:44 is pretty kickass. Decent song overall.
Old 01-17-2013, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by demon666 View Post
So anyone know someone looking for an Ampeg SVT-3Pro? I'de really like to move it now that I have my Acoustic back and my Traynor in the shop (hopefully back soon)
I look at it every day but no monies.
You interested in anything in trade besides what you've got listed?
Old 01-17-2013, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbelue View Post
I look at it every day but no monies.
You interested in anything in trade besides what you've got listed?
Mostly looking for $$$$ trades but whatcha got?
http://soundcloud.com/woozyri/7-6-12-1

Stuff for Sale
Old 01-17-2013, 05:22 PM

GOLD Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeVictim View Post
The price is the real killer. Seriously though, I know what the 3015 is capable of. For those that can afford them, equip your cabs with them. Especially the old TL606 design. I am confident of greendoy's dually design too, don't get me wrong. I have been following that dude since the Carvin LS1503 Days. I remember him talking about how capable the design was but how he wouldn't cut corners if it was his design. Skip a year or so and Greenboy had the original 15/6 design (the one Avatar copied). Then fEarful, then fEarless (or whatever letter he emphasizes these days). Anywho, he and Bill Fitzmaurice are both super smart guys.

What soured me on custom designs, was the omni I had. It was this awesome cab and could do this and do that, until it met my Warwick and overdriven Peavey Alpha Tube Pre. After I played through it and complained on the BFD board that the mid sounded like it was going to blow up and that something must be wrong. I was asked about my amp. I said, I'm running the crown so (don't have the spec sheet in front but 8 ohms bridged I think is like 500 watts) I shouldn't be overdriving anything. The 3015 wasn't being pushed but the mid was sucking balls. So then everyone is saying well the mid is only 100 watts. What did you expect when you throw 500 watts at it? Well, I thought that was what the X-over did??? Isn't it? I mean, when you run a tweeter in a cab, they are only a few watts compared to an actual woofer... Anyways. The cab was talked up so much and as soon as I tried to do anything doom with it, it wouldn't do it. Maybe this was a combination of the active pre on the Wick and the sensitive EQ on the Peavey, I don't know... I fooled around with it before trying to move on to something else (yamaha). It was upon displaying my displeasure and revealing my next cab choice that it started to be mocked. I found my exit hastily.

Point is, I have a cab that was called inferior (Yamaha) by many chart readers only to find out that my inferior cab worked better in a real world situation. So Yeah. That was a $500 lesson learned. And, I even spent a week in the dog house because I stayed awake for like 24 hours, and my friend and I built it at his house. I guess around 5am my wife starts freaking that I am not home and of course we are in the garage with no clue what time it is... anywyas, I'm not in the dog house anymore. But that cab was such a PITA. So until I have a bunch of extra money laying around, no dually for JoeVic...
This is really worth discussion, and hopefully more experienced people will chime in. Thing is, that mid in the BFM design and his x-over is great. Until you add distortion- it just can't handle it.

Same with the Avatar TB153. Great cab. The mid absolutely cannot handle fuzz in any way shape or form. Add an envelope filter- fagetaboutit.

This is where the Greenboy cabs come into play. He's a fuzz/effect freak, in the truest sense. His x-overs and mids are designed not just to pass through a clean, un-colored sound but also to project INSANE levels of fuzz, distortion, modulation and all with tremendous power.

Probelm is, some, and I mean some, GB users emphasize the clean, hi-fi nature of the cabs. IME, screw that. I can get any number of boutique high-end cabs that can do the same. But for shere volume of distorted blissfullness- nothing I've ever playes comes close to the fEARful design.

Well, my old Carvin BRX 10.2's come in a close secone. Severely under-rated cabs, those are...
Old 01-17-2013, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOCOPELAND View Post
That breakdown at 1:44 is pretty kickass. Decent song overall.
It defintely competes with current Metallica. Some of the lyrics feel forced, like he needed a longer riff or to take a breath. Glad that he is staying active and too bad Lars and James never utilized him to his potential.

I like this Yob show. Pre beard and everything... also, do any of you guys tuck your tshirt into your jeans?
http://vimeo.com/18449702
Old 01-17-2013, 05:26 PM

Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by swspiers View Post
This is really worth discussion, and hopefully more experienced people will chime in. Thing is, that mid in the BFM design and his x-over is great. Until you add distortion- it just can't handle it.

Same with the Avatar TB153. Great cab. The mid absolutely cannot handle fuzz in any way shape or form. Add an envelope filter- fagetaboutit.

This is where the Greenboy cabs come into play. He's a fuzz/effect freak, in the truest sense. His x-overs and mids are designed not just to pass through a clean, un-colored sound but also to project INSANE levels of fuzz, distortion, modulation and all with tremendous power.

Probelm is, some, and I mean some, GB users emphasize the clean, hi-fi nature of the cabs. IME, screw that. I can get any number of boutique high-end cabs that can do the same. But for shere volume of distorted blissfullness- nothing I've ever playes comes close to the fEARful design.

Well, my old Carvin BRX 10.2's come in a close secone. Severely under-rated cabs, those are...
+1

His designs were meant for effects, and the drivers and coss overs are specced to handle it. Most people would tell you to not run distortion and such with a tweeter, not so with the fEARful. My cross overs are specced for 250v, would take an insane amount of power to burn them up. Also the tweeters used in greenboy's designs are not the standard sh!tty orange juicers that are in commercial cabs. These are the real deal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawai-chang View Post
Yesterday my purple starfish was hurty.
Old 01-17-2013, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CL400Peavey View Post
+1

His designs were meant for effects, and the drivers and coss overs are specced to handle it. Most people would tell you to not run distortion and such with a tweeter, not so with the fEARful. My cross overs are specced for 250v, would take an insane amount of power to burn them up. Also the tweeters used in greenboy's designs are not the standard sh!tty orange juicers that are in commercial cabs. These are the real deal.
Also the expense is that he doesn't cut corners (Don't get Lazzed). If you don't want whats on the greenboy menu, eat somewhere else. I totally get it. I guess it just sucked to be so easily dismissed by the BFD guys. Especially when the Yamaha blew the doors off with the 3015s. I have never been more scared of something imploding as I was when I was testing the 3015's in the Yamaha. I dimed the Crown (4ohms bridged) and the 3015s wanted more. It was a truely an awesome experience. My entire house was shaking. Seriously. The most powerful experience I have ever had. Laz, get those 3015's into Toast's Sunn.
Old 01-17-2013, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CL400Peavey View Post
+1

Yeah the fearful spec tweets are deceptively sweet. Its awfully impossible to get any low mid breakup out of them though. Takes some very specific EQ, pre fuzz. Still looking for an easier way to get it.
Old 01-17-2013, 05:55 PM

Grrrr stop making me gas for a greenboy cab! I'm broke for a while and I'm sitting over here trying to figure out what body parts and fluids I can hawk for cash. Stahwp!
Old 01-17-2013, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbelue View Post
Yeah the fearful spec tweets are deceptively sweet. Its awfully impossible to get any low mid breakup out of them though. Takes some very specific EQ, pre fuzz. Still looking for an easier way to get it.
This totally sounds like i'm trying to get mids out of my tweets.
Clarification: nearly impossible to get low mid breakup out of the woofer in a fearful.
Old 01-17-2013, 06:07 PM

Anyone looking for an Ezekiel clone? I'm thinking of letting mine go only because I have a couple other pedals that can cop the vibe. Badass DannyD clone with an etching of Sam Jackson.

Stuff for Sale
Old 01-17-2013, 06:52 PM

^you're tempting me, i'll have to listen to some clips when i get home.
Old 01-17-2013, 07:04 PM

Send a message via AIM to Sartori
Quote:
Well they didn't sound that great when Nick and i saw him, but that may have been the PA / house sound. Everything just sounded completely blown out.

Oh and yeah, Who cares what you use. Use whatever you want to , can afford, like, have, etc. It really doesn't matter.
Was that with Sleep or Om? I've only seen him with Sleep and Shrinebuilder.
Old 01-17-2013, 07:06 PM

Owner: Dunwich Amps

OM

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/so...mp-eqs-950782/

Quote:
Just call it Slept O))) . Like I slept through bothering to learn any of the songs so I just play one note.
Old 01-17-2013, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunwichamps View Post
OM
Yeah what this guy said ^

Stuff for Sale
Old 01-17-2013, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niff View Post
^you're tempting me, i'll have to listen to some clips when i get home.
yeah I've got a clip in my soundcloud fuzz demo's. TB DOOM discount too. Plus it's badaasssssssss!!! Sam Jackson on it.

Stuff for Sale
Old 01-17-2013, 07:09 PM

Owner: Dunwich Amps

Quote:
Yeah what this guy said ^
Never trust this guy

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/so...mp-eqs-950782/

Quote:
Just call it Slept O))) . Like I slept through bothering to learn any of the songs so I just play one note.