Go Back   TalkBass Forums > Bass Guitar Forums > Bass Guitar Forums > Bassists [BG]
Register Rules/FAQ/CUP Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Supporting Membership
Thank You

Latest Supporting Member
Donate to Upgrade Today

Old 12-20-2012, 11:40 PM

What kind of music do you play vs what kind of music do you like?

Always wonder how many of us are playing music we really love.

I'm playing in a punk rock band and have loved punk rock since I was a kid. I've also loved metal since then... More to the point stoner, thrash, and doom metal and my last band was in that vein. It's hard for me to play music I don't like.
Old 12-20-2012, 11:42 PM
Loud Mouth Know It All Blowhard

Send a message via Skype™ to two fingers
GOLD Supporting Member
I like everything except very angry metal and hard core rap. And I play everything except very angry metal and rap.

Seriously, a lot of musicians are very closed minded these days. But I can get down with Maroon 5, Rush, Motown, The Yellow Jackets, Brad Paisley, you name it. I play mostly fill-in gigs these days so it helps that I really don't mind most kinds of music.
Old 12-20-2012, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by two fingers View Post
I like everything except very angry metal and hard core rap. And I play everything except very angry metal and rap.
Same deal on this end.

I play consistently in an original band, though. Each member brings their own influences to the table, and we all come from different musical backgrounds with differing tastes. I'm a prog junkie, my guitarist is a jazz man, our drummer digs hard rock, and our singer is a reggae dude. I like this because it all comes through in our songs and the the whole is certainly greater than the sum of its parts.

The only bad thing is we can't pigeonhole our sound with anything but a vague "Alternative" label...
Fender Jazz Bass#1074 Prog Bassist #128
Old 12-20-2012, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by two fingers View Post

Seriously, a lot of musicians are very closed minded these days. But I can get down with Maroon 5, Rush, Motown, The Yellow Jackets, Brad Paisley, you name it. I play mostly fill-in gigs these days so it helps that I really don't mind most kinds of music.
Don't want to come across as someone who is close minded about music at all. I pretty much love anything that isn't dance music/electronica type stuff. Even love some hardcore rap! Haha. My folks were hippies & I grew up on CSNY, The Who, Skynyrd, and the Dead. My wife was a total new waver too so I've come to love bands like Bauhaus, Love & Rockets, and the Cure. I even love some country but still... My passions lie with punk rock and metal and it's hard for me to not play that kind of music.
Old 12-21-2012, 06:16 AM

Supporting Member
I dig a lot of alternative stuff like Arcade Fire, and singer songwriter stuff like Ryan Adams, My Morning Jacket, Josh Ritter, etc. on the other hand, that stuff isn't so much fun for me to play on bass. I enjoy playing anything with a good bass and drum groove like R and B, reggae, etc.
Old 12-21-2012, 12:44 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to SquierJazz72
I'm playing at home for now, so I can play whatever I want.

I like almost everything, except for rap, hip-hop, and modern country. Although there can be exceptions in each of those genres, I'm not big on them as a whole. I listen to and enjoy a lot of classical, jazz, blues, blues rock,progressive rock, old country/western and classic rock/heavy metal.

As a player, I favor blues, classic rock/metal, progressive rock, and some of the old country stuff. So I don't play every style that I listen to, but I'll learn from it.

As a writer, which I am getting into now, I definitely favor a progressive style of music, both on bass and guitar.
Fender Jazz Bass Club #1021,Blues Bass Players Club #172
Lefties Who Play Righty Club #288
Old 12-21-2012, 07:32 PM

I play in a Doom band, but, other than original old Sabbath, don't listen to any Doom/Stoner music-
I'm more into old school Punk/Hardcore/Oi! & Skinhead & Dancehall Reggae-
I do like the music we play though, and LOVE to play through 2 huge rigs (Trace V6 & Acoustic 370 through 2
Ampeg fridges) at the same time!
Old 12-21-2012, 07:37 PM
Banned

I like all kinds of stuff. I was raised ( in the 70s/80s) on hard rock, classic rock and old metal ( Sabbath, Zep, Floyd, The Beatles, The Doors, etc.) My favorite band these days is AIC probably.

This is a setlist from 2 weeks ago.

SET 1
BOMBTRACK
CHAMPAGNE
MY OWN WORST ENEMY
SWEATER SONG
GOT ME WRONG
CRACKERMAN
I COME FROM THE WATER
POSSUM KINGDOM
YOUR DISEASE

SET 2

KILLING IN THE NAME
FACE TO THE FLOOR
MAN IN THE BOX
TOMORROW
COME OUT AND PLAY
WHAT I GOT
SANTA MONICA
FAITH
LOVE ME DEAD
BULLET IN THE HEAD

SET 3

SOUND OF MADNESS
THE CLINCHER
CARESS ME DOWN
I GOT A GIRL
SEX TYPE THING
FLAGPOLE SITTA
WOULD
PURE MASSACRE
CLICK CLICK BOOM

SET 4

BULLS ON PARADE
PLUSH
GONE AWAY
HEAVEN BESIDE YOU
BOUND FOR THE FLOOR
HEY MAN NICE SHOT
BREAK STUFF
THE RED
WHATEVER
SOBER
FREEDOM
Old 12-21-2012, 07:43 PM

Supporting Member
the question is , why would I play something I don't like
Old 12-21-2012, 07:48 PM

I play grunge, alt rock but I'm a metalhead through and through. I'm open to all styles and challenges!
Old 12-21-2012, 11:12 PM

Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups

Supporting Member
I play post-mathcore club sk8r doom acid funk rock but I'd rather be playing smooth jazz.
Ampeg Portaflex Club #1
Quote:
Originally Posted by beans-on-toast View Post
Tweeters are for the birds.
Old 12-21-2012, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyM View Post
I play post-mathcore club sk8r doom acid funk rock but I'd rather be playing smooth jazz.
+1

heheh, I was reading it seriously and stopped right after "post-mathcore" to contemplate the implications for like an entire minute before I continued reading the post....
Old 12-21-2012, 11:18 PM

Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups

Supporting Member
Believe it or not, the only difference between post-mathcore club sk8r doom acid funk rock and smooth jazz is a fuzz pedal on bass.
Ampeg Portaflex Club #1
Quote:
Originally Posted by beans-on-toast View Post
Tweeters are for the birds.
Old 12-21-2012, 11:18 PM

I play more heavy Alternative music. And some Christian. Trying to get into Jazz. But still love my hard core screamo!
Old 12-21-2012, 11:20 PM

I listen to all kinds of music, so I can't really say I have a preference for playing a certain style over any other. The funny thing about that is that my band, likewise, doesn't only play in one particular genre or vein, either. That's fortunate for me because it means I can get all my musical ideas out, regardless of if they're jazzy, funky, punky, rocky, or anything else you can add a 'y' to

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJPJv-NUbw0
Old 12-21-2012, 11:25 PM

Supporting Member
I have played rockabilly, prog rock, metal, 70s rock...and now I'm doing something called trip-hop, which is a real adventure seeing as I've been in love with electronic pop music since...for about ten years, ever since I heard Frou Frou's Details.
Gallien-Krueger MB500, Neo 212-II
Old 12-21-2012, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy360 View Post
I play more heavy Alternative music. And some Christian. Trying to get into Jazz. But still love my hard core screamo!
Makes you wonder how a bassist plays the musical genre of "Christian".
Old 12-22-2012, 07:49 AM

Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyM View Post
I enjoy post-mathcore as much as the next guy, but let's get serious - it doesn't hold a candle to septic-sludge grindcore.
Old 12-22-2012, 08:34 AM

On saxophone, I perform a lot of combo jazz. On bass I am learning a lot of the more popular styles -- r&b, soul, country, rock, singer-songwriter stuff. I like most any kind of music as long as it's well done.

However, I don't get into music that's loud, scream-y, angry or boastful in sentiment.
Old 12-22-2012, 09:35 AM

I love listening to folky bluegrass stuff, but watching the bassists...I think it would put me to sleep. Metal blows me away, I don't listen to it much but I'd love to be able to play it one day.