After playing a few rehearsals with my new Romanian plywood, I decided it was not set up as well as it should be. Having done BG setups and repairs for years, and having done some DB repairs and tweaks for various local players, I decided to undertake the project myself. Almost every facet was Talkbass-aided...this place is a wealth of information, as I am sure everyone already knows!
Re-fitted bridge feet
Lowered strings to 7mm/E to 5mm/G with adjusters at lowest
Re-radiused bridge for pizz (A and D strings were way high)
Lowered nut slots to slightly less than business card thickness
Removed glossy finish from back of neck and Tru-Oiled
I am amazed at the difference...playability is SO much better, and certain aspects of the sound are vastly improved...I am pretty stoked; my first successful DB setup. And no, there was not a first "unsuccessful" attempt, at least not yet
Just want to send a general thank-you to everyone on this forum...the information available here is outstanding and amazing!