Go Back   TalkBass Forums > Bass Guitar Forums > Bass Guitar Forums > Miscellaneous [BG]
Register Rules/FAQ/CUP Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Miscellaneous [BG] Music-related discussion, not specific to the bass or any other forum

Supporting Membership
Thank You

Latest Supporting Member
Donate to Upgrade Today

Closed Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 11:44 AM

Pink Floyd and Led Zepplin!!!

J/K

But yes... The Who, Kiss, and every other band that's running on the fumes of only having one or two original members left in it. It's a money grab and a joke. Just do what Dave Gilmore does and tour under your own name, but play the songs you want to play.
Old 02-11-2014, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassgod0dmw View Post
I've never seen/heard Ozzy sing that badly. I'm wondering if he was having a hard time hearing himself in the monitors or something along those lines.
I saw Ozzy years ago when he was out with Rob Zombie. He was getting bad back then. He needed to retire ages ago.
Old 02-11-2014, 11:50 AM

Supporting Member
Paul McCartney and Sting.

Both had their time. It passed long ago. Time to hang up your basses, boys...
Old 02-11-2014, 11:52 AM

Supporting Member
Aerosmith, PLEASE!!
James Johnston Jazz Bass Club #1
Fender Rumble Club #35
Michigan Bassist Club #6
Old 02-11-2014, 11:59 AM

Let's break this down a bit. What are some reasons bands should retire? They sound like scheiBe? They look like scheiBe? No meaningful audience? Only doing it for the money?

Is an aging band ruining our perception of them as they were in their heyday?

IDK - if they book a show and people come or if they release something and people buy it I don't see a problem. I don't see a problem if an artist releases something and nobody buys it. Don't we always say around here that we should do our art to please ourselves?

That being said I really can't knock anyone for continuing on - even if I'd like some of 'em to go away.

1 cent.
Old 02-11-2014, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pica View Post
Aerosmith, PLEASE!!
I could do without them, too.
Old 02-11-2014, 12:00 PM

Cheap Trick.
Saw them on the Guitar Center Presents series the other day...the only and overwhelming emotion I felt was just sad. They were out of tune, out rhythm, out of breath and made no sense at all during most of the interview. The bassist had to keep correcting the guitar player's memory....where are the "loved ones" who can say enough is enough?
Roger Water's P-Bass Club #12, Fender Blacktop #34, Squire Classic Vibe Club #137, Ibanez club #1099 and Wishbass #1440
Old 02-11-2014, 12:05 PM

I don't know why any bands need to retire??
If they love doing it still, then keep going I say.

If anyone told me to stop only because of my age, I'd tell them to @&$% off. I play music for me.

If you don't like them or their new music, then don't buy their CD's or see their concerts. If you think they should retire because of their age, it says more about you and how you judge music.
#564 - 5 String Club, #89 - Ken Smith Club, #107 - Official Tobias Club
Old 02-11-2014, 12:10 PM

Stones immediately popped in my head when I saw the question, but I agree even more with those who said the Who. Both are bands I absolutely love, but everything has a lifespan, and a band should not try to extend its lifespan to the end of the lifespan of the last member.

I don't agree with the Sting and McCartney comment. I don't think any musician's career should be shorter than their lifespan, but a band is a different animal.

As for Bowie, the one thing you can depend on from Bowie is that his last album is never representative of his next album. Of course some of his albums suck - because he's always trying to break new ground: very rare in this business. Also, like Sting and McCartney, Bowie is not "a band."

Last edited by Major Softie : 02-11-2014 at 12:15 PM.
Old 02-11-2014, 12:14 PM

KISS-
IMO, KISS is nothing more than businessman Gene Simmons using the KISS brand to make himself richer than he already is. They are masqueading 2 impersonators around in Ace and Peter's make up which pisses off most fans, and yeah... just go away.

The Who-
Roger can't sing. Moon and Ox are dead. Pete is "ok", but yeah... it's torture watching them perform at Medicare age.

Lynyrd Skynyrd-
All but one original member remains. Hell, when the Artimus Pyle Band invites Ed King onstage to sit in, his BAR BAND, they have more original members of LS than LS does!!

Allman Bros-
Trucks and Haynes are leaving this year. Betts got kicked out years ago. Duane is dead. Berry is dead. Woody is dead. Give it up guys. It's not the Allmans anymore, IMO.

Guns N Roses-
Yeah... no explanation required.
Old 02-11-2014, 12:24 PM

Some of these bands stay in existence for the money, some for the love of music, some for both. There may be other miscellaneous factors. If you were, for example, an engineer with a high-paying job (I know someone like this,) who decided to keep working beyond what many people might consider the cut-off date, would you have the right to do that or not? If you wanted to earn the extra money, for example, to buy a expensive yacht, should you be allowed to do that? If you wanted to earn extra money because you had relatives you cared about deeply who couldn't pay all their medical expenses, should you be allowed to help them out if you wanted to? Or would it be better for outsiders to come in and tell you what you could or could not do?

I agree that some bands probably do need to retire. I probably would agree with much of the list which has been posted here. But at the same time I don't feel I have the right to tell other people what they should or should not do. It's their lives, their money, their work, their plans, their futures, and their careers, not mine. Then there is another factor. All the time I see people being criticized because they're not working. I see people criticized for being lazy because they're not working and not trying to stay relevant in society. Which will it be? Most of these famous artists would have a hard time finding jobs that weren't music-related anyway. It might seem more appropriate for them to do something boring and out of everyone's way, like knitting and selling what they've knitted online. But I doubt if that would be very interesting, meaningful or profitable.
Old 02-11-2014, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Wilson View Post
I don't know why any bands need to retire??
If they love doing it still, then keep going I say.

If anyone told me to stop only because of my age, I'd tell them to @&$% off. I play music for me.

If you don't like them or their new music, then don't buy their CD's or see their concerts. If you think they should retire because of their age, it says more about you and how you judge music.
+1
Old 02-11-2014, 12:30 PM

I'll add my vote to the Who. I saw them in 1982, thought they were past their prime then.... 30+ years later? as hdracer put it: "No John or Keith, Rogers voice is gone and Pete is deaf."
Christian Praise and Worship Club member #579, Official Short Scale Bass Club member #158, The Official Hagstrom Bass Club #15
Old 02-11-2014, 12:33 PM

I think all of you posting in this thread need to retire.
Fender Jazz Bass Club #762
Black N Maple Club #438
I am an Ass Club #1
Quote:
Originally Posted by BawanaRik View Post
A false rape charge is millions of times worse that any "rape" that may or may not have happened.
What song is it you wanna hear?
Old 02-11-2014, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellowinman View Post
+1. Funny you mention it. I JUST retired. I just held a press conference announcing it.
Old 02-11-2014, 01:23 PM

Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by mellowinman View Post
+1
The first thing this thread made me think about was all the "has been" bands I've lit or rigged over the years that I came to work 100% prepared to dislike and ended up being really impressed by how well they played. Loverboy and Platinum Blonde come to mind.
Old 02-11-2014, 01:31 PM

Supporting Member
No U2 yet? damn.

I'm a early U2 fan (up until about 1991) but they havent done anything worthwhile in 20 years.

And The Cure. One of my favorite band ever. Havent released a half decent record since like....1992. And seriously if nothing else Robert Smith needs to retire the hair and makeup. He's a melting blob. Its fine, hes old, i get it, ill eb this way too soon enough, but he just looks pathetic with the makeup. It's like a bad joke. I guess its one of those i've done it for so long i wouldnt know how to be without it. Though surely when he's at home he's not wearing it.
Old 02-11-2014, 01:52 PM

Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milk View Post
No U2 yet? damn.

I'm a early U2 fan (up until about 1991) but they havent done anything worthwhile in 20 years.

And The Cure. One of my favorite band ever. Havent released a half decent record since like....1992. And seriously if nothing else Robert Smith needs to retire the hair and makeup. He's a melting blob. Its fine, hes old, i get it, ill eb this way too soon enough, but he just looks pathetic with the makeup. It's like a bad joke. I guess its one of those i've done it for so long i wouldnt know how to be without it. Though surely when he's at home he's not wearing it.

Completely agree with you about both bands. Robert Smith looks horrible lately. It's actually quite sad.
Old 02-11-2014, 01:53 PM
Definitely not trending

GOLD Supporting Member
If a group is still making some fans happy, who cares?
Should Wayne Shorter retire? Herbie Hancock? Ron Carter?
Old 02-11-2014, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milk View Post
No U2 yet? damn.

I recommend this film:

Fender Jazz Bass Club #762
Black N Maple Club #438
I am an Ass Club #1
Quote:
Originally Posted by BawanaRik View Post
A false rape charge is millions of times worse that any "rape" that may or may not have happened.
What song is it you wanna hear?
Closed Thread