Does anyone here write music reviews, and can you give pointers?
I thought I'd give reviewing a few new albums I got a shot, so do you people have any pointers before I try?
1. Is there cover art? If not you can not review it.
2. Has it been mastered? If not you legally can not review it.
3. Is the recording studio or live? This determines what kind of headphones to use.
4. Is the artist signed or independent release? This determines whether you start at track on or go straight random
5. Is there liner notes if so you must read all of them first.
6. Is the album digital? If so you should be ok.
Use the word "pretentious" a lot.
Reference a lot of known artists, so you can say it "is like" someone or something.
Make sure the review is more about telling us how clever and knowledgable you are than actually being informative.
Oh wait; that's review advice for people who write for Rolling Stone.
try this :)
"it's a think-piece...
about a mid-level band...
struggling with their own limitations...
in the, you know, harsh face of stardom."
Read reviews on Pitchfork
Then do the complete opposite of what they do. Please.
|All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:57 PM.|
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.12
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.